Smash factor for an amateur with driver

sjw

Visit site
At the range last night I felt like I was hitting driver very well (for me). Top Tracer was reporting a ball speed of 145-150mph. Where would that place my swing speed, roughly? Any estimates? Using a PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 driver. Carry about 220y.

I appreciate these are only estimates, and there is no way knowing for sure. Before this, I would've guessed I was in the 90-100mph range, but then I read that a smash factor of 1.5 would be considered above average, and I find it hard to believe any area of my game could be described in that way!

Ian_George

Visit site
At the range last night I felt like I was hitting driver very well (for me). Top Tracer was reporting a ball speed of 145-150mph. Where would that place my swing speed, roughly? Any estimates? Using a PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 driver. Carry about 220y.

I appreciate these are only estimates, and there is no way knowing for sure. Before this, I would've guessed I was in the 90-100mph range, but then I read that a smash factor of 1.5 would be considered above average, and I find it hard to believe any area of my game could be described in that way!
That ball speed should mean carry of 260-ish, so something is amiss!

sjw

Visit site
That ball speed should mean carry of 260-ish, so something is amiss!
Probably hitting it too low!! Lol

But in all seriousness, I do question the reliability of Top Tracer. I've been at ranges where the normalisation says that my drives will go 220y (total) on what felt like a really good swing, whereas on the course I'll regularly hit drives in the 240-250y range, so I have to take them with a pinch of salt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn't say TopTracer is 100% accurate. I think it varies from one venue to another. Better off going to an indoor studio with Trackman, I think that's more likely to be accurate. Or better yet forget the numbers and just have a look at how straight and far it goes (or doesn't go) on the course. ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Smash factor probably 1.45 ish. I find mine varies 1.42-1.48 in a session. And I think its 5he same range for the majority of people regardless of swing speed.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

My local top tracer gives me a similar ball speed, with a carry around 240. My playing average on shot scope is 268 (total). When I was fitted for my driver, my club head speed was 97mph, so you are probably in the right ball park with your estimates.

Ian_George

Visit site
Probably hitting it too low!! Lol

But in all seriousness, I do question the reliability of Top Tracer. I've been at ranges where the normalisation says that my drives will go 220y (total) on what felt like a really good swing, whereas on the course I'll regularly hit drives in the 240-250y range, so I have to take them with a pinch of salt.
Indeed, I'm iffy on TT's accuracy and possible 'tweaking' - at least at ranges! There may be some tweaking done, either manually or by the unit, to allow for temperature etc so I would only use the numbers to compare against numbers in the same session - not against course ones, nor other sessions at the same or other ranges!

Newtonuti

Visit site
Top Tracer tends to be way on the low side distance wise. According to tracer, I hit my 7i 140 yards, but then a Trackman set up correctly, at the same range, says I hit my 7i 165-170 yards.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have had TT installed recently and they have spent a lot of money on Taylormade balls and then 'calibrated' TT with Trackman to ensure the distance you hit the ball on the range is the distance shown on TT.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
smash factor is a combination of ball speed and club head speed.
1.50 is a max you can get with your driver, and its based on drivers limitation.
So if you swing your club at 100mph and you hit the ball of the sweet spot of your club your maximum ball speed will be 150mph.
Your distance can depend on a strike and spin.
Yep even if you have a decent CHS there is no guarantee of carry distance.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have had TT installed recently and they have spent a lot of money on Taylormade balls and then 'calibrated' TT with Trackman to ensure the distance you hit the ball on the range is the distance shown on TT.

i think they've calibrated the TT at my course as my distances are what they should which makes practicing easier

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Use two TT equipped ranges, and both always +/- 1mph ball speed compared to my PRGR down to 8i or 9i. For those and below erratic. And thats more likely the PRGR I guess. But down to 7i, always reliable and within the significant figure. Id say TT perfect for ball speed at least.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Top Tracer tends to be way on the low side distance wise. According to tracer, I hit my 7i 140 yards, but then a Trackman set up correctly, at the same range, says I hit my 7i 165-170 yards.
And this is where it's all about how it's calibrated. My local TT range says I hit my PW 137 average (it's a 125 yard club in the wild) and my 7i 178 (155 on the course). But it also tells me I hit my driver 260+ so that bit is clearly correct! :ROFLMAO:

sjw

Visit site
The two top tracer ranges near me also don't have any signs on the range for distances, not sure if this is the norm or not. Is this so they can hide the fact that the system isn't calibrated? When it comes down to the chipping ("putting") on the virtual golf, it's so hard to know how far you have to hit the damn thing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does the ball in flight do what you want of it? If it does then great…if not then maybe ‘why not‘ is the question you need to find an answer to before fretting overly about ball speed, swing speed, carry etc. Just saying ?

Ian_George

Visit site
The two top tracer ranges near me also don't have any signs on the range for distances, not sure if this is the norm or not. Is this so they can hide the fact that the system isn't calibrated? When it comes down to the chipping ("putting") on the virtual golf, it's so hard to know how far you have to hit the damn thing
That, short game practice, seems like an area of the game more down to feel than actual 'knowledge' as per range distances. Or at least combined with Pelz style distances and a range-finder (if you have one).

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
And this is where it's all about how it's calibrated. My local TT range says I hit my PW 137 average (it's a 125 yard club in the wild) and my 7i 178 (155 on the course). But it also tells me I hit my driver 260+ so that bit is clearly correct! :ROFLMAO:
My local TT range says I carry a 6 iron 180 on average. Had a lesson with the pro and we tried Trackman to check the numbers. 6 iron carries 175. So happy enough. ?
I have seen those numbers out on the course too, or even slightly further (carried a 7 iron that pitched next to the flag that I'd lasered at 175), so all good.

JGolfer

Visit site

I would take top tracer with a pinch of salt. On the long drive for instance I get around 245 total distance with 155 ball speed.

I get lessons regular on trackman my SS is on average around 102, 4-6 degrees on the up, and total distance is on average around 275.

* The tracer I go to, to break top 20, your drive would have to be over 370 yards longest being well over 400. After seeing that, I complete abandoned any thought of reliability in regards to Toptracer.

sjw

Visit site
I would take top tracer with a pinch of salt. On the long drive for instance I get around 245 total distance with 155 ball speed.

I get lessons regular on trackman my SS is on average around 102, 4-6 degrees on the up, and total distance is on average around 275.

* The tracer I go to, to break top 20, your drive would have to be over 370 yards longest being well over 400. After seeing that, I complete abandoned any thought of reliability in regards to Toptracer.
Lol, I got to 260 total once and made it to 6th on the leaderboard or something. Next time I looked and yeah, they were all over 300 yards.