Ladies Clubs

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd imagine so, women's average height is much shorter than mens, not aa strong and so prob need lighter heads and shafts.

even back with Hickory clubs they were made differently

D

Deleted member 21258

Absolutely, me/wife made the mistake of thinking there wasn't a lot of difference. Wife is 'short' and not a quick swing speed.

She first bought a cheap set of mens regular graphite hippo irons. The typical flight was low low low.

I bought an almost complete setup of cobra fly z(xl ? I think, no driver) ladies graphite irons off a pro/ebay for less than £200 new iirc, and the difference between them and the hippos, were massive, wish we had bought a proper set first off. The flight is so much higher, she is far more consistent with them etc. Feel wise they feel really whippy and lighter (she and I noticed that, and it took her a while to adjust to the feel, but results were instant almost). Would really recommend the irons btw.

Woods/hybrids that came with the iron set, she basically doesn't hit. She doesn't hit anything above a 9 wood(an old adams), as she doesn't have the swing speed to launch them high enough & her strike is not good(shes a 26ish hcapper btw), something to bear in mind depending on how your wife swings and saving money

Driver she always had ladies cobra fly z driver, it is a high launch 12 degree driver, set to the max degrees which I think is 14(or is it 14 turned upto 16, can check if you need to know)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would echo the post of DRW. My wife used to play, sister in law still does. Both are tall and made the mistake of believing that they needed mens clubs because of it. Neither generate the swing speed to get the ball up without the assistance of a ladies shaft, a lighter club. My sister in law plays with a mixture of mens and ladies clubs. She hits the ladies clubs very well, the mens clubs badly. I have stopped trying to tell her to go fully ladies clubs, you can lead a horse to water etc.............

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ladies clubs are typically 1" less in length than men's with lighter more flexible shafts due to the average woman being 6" shorter and having a lower swing speed than the average man, there will always be exceptions as women come in all builds and abilities the same as men.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Add to other comments - generally thinner grips and on some makes I have seen thinner shaft butts.

May be a flatter lie as standard.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So..........reading between the lines, fitting is the way forward?
If not fitting then at least trying out both ladies and mens. That could be at an AG shop, less pressure to buy there I find, or a pro may have the usual 7 iron options from different brands and will hopefully have a ladies option as well.

D

Deleted member 1147

So..........reading between the lines, fitting is the way forward?
Why don;t you just put some of your details on here (swing speed, distances, age, height etc) and someone will have the knowledge to be able to point you in the right direction?

sunshine

Visit site
On average:
Women are shorter than men
Have shorter arms in relation to height
Have smaller hands relative to size
Have less strength

So "standard fit" should really be completely different.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Well, we're off to our local golf shop that has had a brand new indoor facility screen thing. Although the wife is against it, "it's not the same as on the course, what it you don't have a good day" etc etc she is going to give it a go. It's all about getting a new driver. The one she has is a Palm Springs EZ, cost me about £25 5 years ago. I'm wondering if a proper driver might make a difference. We'll see.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, we're off to our local golf shop that has had a brand new indoor facility screen thing. Although the wife is against it, "it's not the same as on the course, what it you don't have a good day" etc etc she is going to give it a go. It's all about getting a new driver. The one she has is a Palm Springs EZ, cost me about £25 5 years ago. I'm wondering if a proper driver might make a difference. We'll see.
Your lucky to have a wife who is interested and doesn't say "golf" like she has trodden in something the dog has left behind !

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Just thought I'd round this off in case anyone was waiting for the update. The guy in the shop was briliant. So patient. Changing shafts and clubs. By the end, about an hour, the wife was getting an extra 30 yards. Now you'd think that's not much, to be honest I did too, but then I thought 30 yards could mean soooooo much difference out on the course and she was getting those numbers consistantly. Her swing speed was 62mph. which apparently for a lady club golfer was quite good. The guy said usually between 50-60. New club has been purchased. Callaway XR speed. Just need the weather to improve.

Footnote. I couldn't resist and had a go myself. Despite much swapping and changing of clubs and shafts he couldn't get my numbers up from my Adams Superspeed. Although I learnt I was delofting the clubs due to a slight turning over of the hands after putting them on the club. OMG this was so hard to correct but when I did I could get a draw. YES A DRAW! Lordy lordy. Did you also know there is a correct way to pull on a golf glove? Nope me neither. I've got the wrong size in those as well. What a brilliant way to spend an afternoon!!!!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Colonel, there is a thread going on about how much people would pay for a club to gain them an extra 20yds. Your wife got an extra 30yds :eek::eek:. Huge difference, I am pleased it went so well (y)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would expect an extra 30yds would be massive for your wife, it would be for me and I hit a driver 160-200yds depending on conditions

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would echo the post of DRW. My wife used to play, sister in law still does. Both are tall and made the mistake of believing that they needed mens clubs because of it. Neither generate the swing speed to get the ball up without the assistance of a ladies shaft, a lighter club. My sister in law plays with a mixture of mens and ladies clubs. She hits the ladies clubs very well, the mens clubs badly. I have stopped trying to tell her to go fully ladies clubs, you can lead a horse to water etc.............
My mates wife in a nutshell.
Good golfer but her weakest link is the driver.
It’s a men’s TM and she dosnt hit it over 10 foot high.
Just can’t see the logic.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
My mates wife in a nutshell.
Good golfer but her weakest link is the driver.
It’s a men’s TM and she dosnt hit it over 10 foot high.
Just can’t see the logic.

Ah ha....my wife has been struggling with the driver, yes it was only a cheap one hence taking the plunge to purchase a new one. But she can get good height on irons but not so much driver. During fitting I mentioned this to the bloke, a pro who has played on lower tours. He watched where she had positioned the ball. Middle of stance. "Line the ball with little toe" was his suggestion and we moved back to orange tee (she'd been using pink for reasons I won't go into). LIFT OFF!!!!! It rocketed up!!!!! Now I'd told her to play off heel of left foot, but as I chatted to the bloke and said this was hard to actually explain, which he agreed, but said, little toe was a much easier concept, as it proved. Try this advice, it may work for her. Now if only we could clear a day when it wasn't raining and try all this on the course.........