Kudos to Robert MacIntyre ...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Literally the first reply, 'up until Thursday I was unaware of him', that's on a golf forum to.

He's been well and truly on the radar for a long time. Your comments also show a lack of knowledge and dare I say ignorance regarding young MacIntyre.

Very grounded young man, comments do get sensationalised by the press.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The 3 ladies found it hilarious, said they came back because they knew the man and he had form for it - he owns the house to the left of the 10th and the club won't put up a net so he's causing difficulties.
My club would dream of having a problem like that.
We have a "neighbour" who constantly complains about balls coming into his garden (although it's probably less than one a month on average).
He cut down a group of trees that were giving some degree of protection (because they were "spoiling his view").
When the club applied for planning permission to put up a net, he objected(!!!) which resulted in permission being refused.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a "neighbour" who constantly complains about balls coming into his garden (although it's probably less than one a month on average).
He cut down a group of trees that were giving some degree of protection (because they were "spoiling his view").
When the club applied for planning permission to put up a net, he objected(!!!) which resulted in permission being refused.
we've got one like that too.

club sold off some land some years ago and houses were built which border on the practice area/driving range. all but one are owned by members.

one guy is contantly complaining about balls in his garden. The club offered to put a net up, but he refused as it would spoil his view...of a golf course he hates:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like he's made his own bed then. :LOL:

I'd love to live next door to a golf course. People don't realise how good they have it. Aside from being able to walk on the course, surely you'd gather enough balls in the garden to eventually sell them on ebay.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like he's made his own bed then. :LOL:

I'd love to live next door to a golf course. People don't realise how good they have it. Aside from being able to walk on the course, surely you'd gather enough balls in the garden to eventually sell them on ebay.
Not so sure if your on your sun lounger and balls are landing in your garden!
Especially with all those people who think it’s ok to not shout Fore !

sunshine

Visit site
I would never go for a stroll next to a golf course.
But I am aware just how bad some golf shots can be. Especially when windy.
But non golfers are not aware of this , they see the pros up the middle of the fairway all the time on telly.
Maybe better signage would help.

Played Monday night at West Herts, it has some footpaths crossing it. I was standing on the tee, ready to unleash the driver, when someone jogged past in front of the tee. My head was down, I was just starting my backswing, and my playing partner quickly warned me to abort. If I had been playing on my own I wouldn't have seen him and I could have taken his head off. He just nonchalantly jogged past 30 yards in front of the tee - what an idiot!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played Monday night at West Herts, it has some footpaths crossing it. I was standing on the tee, ready to unleash the driver, when someone jogged past in front of the tee. My head was down, I was just starting my backswing, and my playing partner quickly warned me to abort. If I had been playing on my own I wouldn't have seen him and I could have taken his head off. He just nonchalantly jogged past 30 yards in front of the tee - what an idiot!

Is education required?

West Kilbride has a coastal path alongside the course and ankther path which is a right of access over the course. They have signs up warning people and in the main people do seem a aware of golfers. Used to get the occasional dog walker who was ignorant but as I say that was a minority.

Did poop my pants one day as I airmailed the 15th green and landed on the coastal path about 10 yards away from a group of dog walkers, they didn't even appear to notice though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Honestly, so many people are clueless to danger. We had similar a few weeks back, one feller was about to hit, the other feller said hang on a second, interrupted him as he just about to start his backswing - said he thought he saw someone other side of the bush. Sure enough, these two teenagers emerged right in front of the tee. Then they look around and see us there, then turn back to hide behind the bush again. My mate who was teeing off then does so and hits a low fizzer of a drive which absolutely would have pelted one of them in the head because it was right at that height.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is education required?

West Kilbride has a coastal path alongside the course and ankther path which is a right of access over the course. They have signs up warning people and in the main people do seem a aware of golfers. Used to get the occasional dog walker who was ignorant but as I say that was a minority.

Did poop my pants one day as I airmailed the 15th green and landed on the coastal path about 10 yards away from a group of dog walkers, they didn't even appear to notice though.
Trouble is Jacko dear boy most are just ignorant, esp in Scotland with the Outdoor Access code. Many wrongley belive they can go where ever they like, not matter what.

We have 2 paths that cross the course at Nairn across the 1st and 18th to the beach and again from a path behind 2nd green 16th tee.there are signs in 4 spots on the one on 1/18 and 3 at 2/12 all explaining the danger, ROW and what access is for... very few take a blind bit of notice and just wonder all over the place, then get the arse when they are told not to walk in front of tee's

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's really difficult isn't to make a decent argument about why anyone should not shout Fore, you are making a good go of it. i'm tempted to try all those listed in this thread with my playing partners over the next week or 2 just to see how well received they will be.

I've not done that at all, i commented on the thread about 'Kudos to Robert MacIntyre...' who imo has made a mountain out of a mole hill.
I don't think the Pro game (with paid caddies) can be compered to the amateur game when we're aiming at other players and not spectators.
I guess i'm different in that i wouldn't call a PP out for not shouting if i had. I would say something if i wasn't watching and they didn't shout but i'd do it in a none confrontational way.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've not done that at all, i commented on the thread about 'Kudos to Robert MacIntyre...' who imo has made a mountain out of a mole hill.
I don't think the Pro game (with paid caddies) can be compered to the amateur game when we're aiming at other players and not spectators.
I guess i'm different in that i wouldn't call a PP out for not shouting if i had. I would say something if i wasn't watching and they didn't shout but i'd do it in a none confrontational way.
You are aiming at other players?? Lol.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If a crowd 300 yards away won't hear it why do we bother shouting at our local course. I bomb one 300 yards down hill and push it right on to hole 1 where the green is do I think I know they won't hear it so why bother shouting. It's a bullshit reason, If EVERYONE who hit it just bloody shouted Fore there would never be an issue would there.
At a pro event there will be marshalls as well as players on the tee with indicators saying where the ball is going. There will usually be marshalls in the landing areas who will also shout warnings if they think it is coming in their direction. Better for people to duck or turn their back rather than keep looking up and risk serious injury as at the Ryder Cup.

Yes accidents happen and there are disclaimers on the tickets - but the players and staff have a duty of care and need to ensure they use it.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My twopennyworth, as the guy who started the thread. I follow the arguments about the likelihood of a shout being effective or not but, even if a shout might only work in a small number of cases, why not do it anyway to maximise the chances of avoiding an injury? It’s hardly a hardship to shout FORE loudly, is it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My twopennyworth, as the guy who started the thread. I follow the arguments about the likelihood of a shout being effective or not but, even if a shout might only work in a small number of cases, why not do it anyway to maximise the chances of avoiding an injury? It’s hardly a hardship to shout FORE loudly, is it?
I agree with that. Even if there's only a 1% chance of them hearing you, that's better than 0% when you don't shout. I shout fore as soon as my shot looks like it may leave the hole I'm on - even if I think there's nobody on the course on that side, just on the off chance I'm wrong.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I gave a really loud shout of Fore yesterday at Sunningdale - shame it was on the practice chipping area, so embarrassing!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Sidebar: just watched MacIntryre's 14 club challenge with Rickie Fowler. He should have shouted 'Fore' in the first couple of seconds to warn us of the impending danger of watching on.... not entertaining.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sidebar: just watched MacIntryre's 14 club challenge with Rickie Fowler. He should have shouted 'Fore' in the first couple of seconds to warn us of the impending danger of watching on.... not entertaining.
Yeah that one was pretty poor - watch the Pepperell and Fox episode though if you haven't, that's fantastic.