Kudos to Robert MacIntyre ...

D

Deleted member 1147

...But, in this case, his excuse(s)/reason(s) seem reasonable to me.

There is only one excuse for not shouting fore, and that is if you hit a shot and don't see where it went - in which case you should immediately say you didn't see it and others can shout if required (which they should do anyway if they see a ball go offline, IMHO it's not only the duty of the player hitting the shot to shout).

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a course I don't play that often last night with 2 others (most convenient course for all 3 of us!) and there's a path that goes to the right of the 4th, 5th, and 16th. Lovely weather last night but wind was strong, on the 16th one of the guys took an iron (he's a slicer and was conscious of the path) for safety, however it ballooned in the wind and did bounce on the path between a couple walking 30 yards ahead of the ball and a group of ladies well behind the ball. Now I'd tracked the ball pretty well and knew it was beyond the ladies, we all shouted Fore Right! but only the ladies reacted. When the ball crossed the fence I knew it was also not near the couple. However, when the ball hit the path, the couple turned round, waited and then came walking back towards us and we made our way up the hole. The gentleman proceeded to berate my FC, the wind was against us and clearly he hadn't heard the shouts. We were more than a bit peeved and I clarified we'd all shouted fore, had tracked the ball and my FC (getting angrier) pointed out that they have a certain responsibility too. He was none too happy, was going to report us at the shop etc. - thankfully, the 3 ladies walked back and confirmed that they'd heard the shouts and would be happy to advise this at the shop as well; cue angry man storming off leaving his bewildered partner standing who then told us to enjoy the rest of our round before taking off after him! The 3 ladies found it hilarious, said they came back because they knew the man and he had form for it - he owns the house to the left of the 10th and the club won't put up a net so he's causing difficulties.

Anyway, point is, glad we shouted fore, with wind direction not everybody hears, and sometimes people are just jerks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played a course I don't play that often last night with 2 others (most convenient course for all 3 of us!) and there's a path that goes to the right of the 4th, 5th, and 16th. Lovely weather last night but wind was strong, on the 16th one of the guys took an iron (he's a slicer and was conscious of the path) for safety, however it ballooned in the wind and did bounce on the path between a couple walking 30 yards ahead of the ball and a group of ladies well behind the ball. Now I'd tracked the ball pretty well and knew it was beyond the ladies, we all shouted Fore Right! but only the ladies reacted. When the ball crossed the fence I knew it was also not near the couple. However, when the ball hit the path, the couple turned round, waited and then came walking back towards us and we made our way up the hole. The gentleman proceeded to berate my FC, the wind was against us and clearly he hadn't heard the shouts. We were more than a bit peeved and I clarified we'd all shouted fore, had tracked the ball and my FC (getting angrier) pointed out that they have a certain responsibility too. He was none too happy, was going to report us at the shop etc. - thankfully, the 3 ladies walked back and confirmed that they'd heard the shouts and would be happy to advise this at the shop as well; cue angry man storming off leaving his bewildered partner standing who then told us to enjoy the rest of our round before taking off after him! The 3 ladies found it hilarious, said they came back because they knew the man and he had form for it - he owns the house to the left of the 10th and the club won't put up a net so he's causing difficulties.

Anyway, point is, glad we shouted fore, with wind direction not everybody hears, and sometimes people are just jerks.
Walkers on the course are a nightmare at my course. You can tell the ones who don't play golf. There's one particular hole where there's out of bounds on the right, and a foot path down there, it's a prime location for a sliced drive. Sometimes people walk to the corner and stop and wait for you to hit, unaware that they're right in the bloody danger zone and they be better off walking on and getting out of the way! It's as if they think "well there's no he's hitting it all the way over here, he's aiming up that way." Clueless!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It's actually unbelievable to think that people don't shout.

I've never played golf with any spectators - but I can't imagine seeing a ball going wide towards hundreds of people and not immediately shouting and indicating as soon as you have hit it.

The issue Stanley has is that as the player, he knows before anyone else if his ball is wide and if it is at risk of reaching galleries.

Ultimately there is absolutely no excuse for not shouting. I can only imagine that he either doesn't care if it hits someone, or he hopes it does hit someone and stops the ball running wide of the spectator areas into even more trouble.

Credit to MacIntyre calling him out and it seems he has raised his profile successfully from this incident (as well as playing very well over 4 rounds).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly, most of us don't fly it 300 yards, so those in danger are much more likely to be able to hear our shout.
Secondly, there's a distinctly larger amount of background noise in the likely 'landing area' at a pro tournament than there is on our weekend courses.

And/But/So you definitely shout if you carve one as above!

Yes, it would be fine if all who hit strays shouted. But, in this case, his excuse(s)/reason(s) seem reasonable to me.
It’s habit forming though ,I bet if he goes back to his “home course” in the USA where they like a good law suit, on a quiet day and he hits a member without shouting he may regret it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the whole not shouting thing and pointing the club is becoming more frequent in the Am game, the amount of yanks you see do this on the course is astounding, who do they think will see them pointing on the tee.

Had this on Sunday at Inverness, we were on the 6th tee, and all of a sudden we heard a ball hit the roof of the house behind us on the tee box, looked over and there's a guy pointing right with his club...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would never go for a stroll next to a golf course.
But I am aware just how bad some golf shots can be. Especially when windy.
But non golfers are not aware of this , they see the pros up the middle of the fairway all the time on telly.
Maybe better signage would help.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I would never go for a stroll next to a golf course.
But I am aware just how bad some golf shots can be. Especially when windy.
But non golfers are not aware of this , they see the pros up the middle of the fairway all the time on telly.
Maybe better signage would help.

Playing last Sunday I saw something new, couple of 'adults' and 4 toddlers standing on the island green looking into the water (must've been staying at one of the nearby villas) Back on the tee we get their attention that we're about to play... so they moved to the back of the green and waved for us to tee-off!

A few more gestures and they finally got the message that we needed them to vacate the area

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Trying to make a name for himself being the 'good guy' and sounds like he exaggerated what happened to make him sound like the big man.
Enough people shouted and even indicated direction, including the players caddy, non issue imo.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Trying to make a name for himself being the 'good guy' and sounds like he exaggerated what happened to make him sound like the big man.
Enough people shouted and even indicated direction, including the players caddy, non issue imo.

Why would he need to be the big man, how old are you 12. Big man....

User20204

Visit site

Really ?

User20204

Visit site
So when and where was the exchange ? Cause he wouldn't have known that at the time and bringing it up post round seems pointless.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think the fact he's currently standing 14th on the R2D means he's already making a name for himself, without the need for any headlines/controversy!

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why would he need to be the big man, how old are you 12. Big man....

Why does he have to say in interviews he used harsh words and it wasn't too pleasant?
He's had time to calm down by that point yet still chooses to use wording like that in an interview. Rather than bringing up the issue he's made headlines more about their 'confrontation'.......the harsh wording is why he's acting the big man imo. That OK with you Big man....

Last edited:

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the fact he's currently standing 14th on the R2D means he's already making a name for himself, without the need for any headlines/controversy!

Literally the first reply, 'up until Thursday I was unaware of him', that's on a golf forum to.

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I haven't seen the footage but from what I've read, yes really.
I totally agree everyone should shout but if a number of people, including his caddy (that's the main point for me) shouted it then I don't see the issue.
Tommy hoiked one off left on the back nine on Sun, Shane was already walking off down the path at that point and started pointing left. I didn't hear Tommy shout but nothing has been said about that.
Adding onto this, why is it that nobody is questioning why our 'hero' left it so late that nobody has time to react to his shout? If he's fully aware of the situation he should be shouting early to. Everyone who's watching/involved on the tee (player, caddy, PP, PPs caddy, marshals, rules officials etc) should all do their bit in shouting and indicating if they see it heading to the crowd.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven't seen the footage but from what I've read, yes really.
I totally agree everyone should shout but if a number of people, including his caddy (that's the main point for me) shouted it then I don't see the issue.
Tommy hoiked one off left on the back nine on Sun, Shane was already walking off down the path at that point and started pointing left. I didn't hear Tommy shout but nothing has been said about that.
Adding onto this, why is it that nobody is questioning why our 'hero' left it so late that nobody has time to react to his shout? If he's fully aware of the situation he should be shouting early to. Everyone who's watching/involved on the tee (player, caddy, PP, PPs caddy, marshals, rules officials etc) should all do their bit in shouting and indicating if they see it heading to the crowd.

It's really difficult isn't to make a decent argument about why anyone should not shout Fore, you are making a good go of it. i'm tempted to try all those listed in this thread with my playing partners over the next week or 2 just to see how well received they will be.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does he have to say in interviews he used harsh words and it wasn't too pleasant?
He's had time to calm down by that point yet still chooses to use wording like that in an interview. Rather than bringing up the issue he's made headlines more about their 'confrontation'.......the harsh wording is why he's acting the big man imo. That OK with you Big man....
Scottish people are just naturally confrontational. :sneaky: