Kudos to Robert MacIntyre ...

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stanley's responded:
After finishing up his third round today, Stanley faced the media, and appeared totally unrepentant for his behaviour. “After I hit several people on the tee box yelled fore, he said. “My two playing partners, my caddie, a couple of the volunteers or the marshals, even had them signalling it was going right. I mean, everyone to the right of that ball, they knew it was coming.

“So, to me it's kind of a nonissue. I'm not really sure why he decided to make such an issue about it. I know it hit his caddie's mum's hands off the bounce, and that's unfortunate.

“But as far as I'm concerned, a number of people yelled fore. He made the argument that since I hit the ball that it maybe should have come out of my mouth first. I guess I can see that.

“It's unfortunate it ended up the way it did. It certainly wasn't my intention to put anyone in harm's way. I had my wife in the gallery, my coaches. So I'm surprised it's kind of come to this point.”

Stanley added that he saw the comments made by MacIntyre, saying: “The way things were kind of painted from his perspective, he left out quite a few details. I wouldn't really say that was an accurate description of what happened.

“When you tell your story, you've got to make sure you have all the details. “From what I read last night, he didn't do that. He's a young player. I've been out here a while. So I don't feel the need to be schooled on the rules of golf or what to do when you hit a shot off line. “So that's kind of my perspective on it. Maybe a good learning experience for all.”

Asked if he had apologised for the incident, he confirmed that he had not.

“I went up there and the first thing that I asked everybody was if I hit anybody, and nobody gave me an indication that I did,” said Stanley. “That's the first thing you do when you hit a ball off line, when you get up there you ask, Did it hit anybody? Is everybody okay? And that's what I did. No one told me I hit anybody. I found out in the scorer's trailer while we were signing the card after our round.

“I always try to be very professional about how I go about things. I don't think what happened yesterday changes that. It was just an unfortunate situation. Certainly not my intent.”

Source

What a tool.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Quite simple. You hit it you shout but the R&A and PGA have to take a strong stance - which they won't. I think if the ball strikes someone and the player doesn't shout irrespective of who else did or didn't it should be a one shot penalty. Fines are irrelevant to these guys

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just an aside to this....
Yesterday, on the 16th(I think), Shane hit one left off the tee.
Massive shouts from Shane, Shane's playing partners and caddies.....
And still a spectator was hit......
I am not saying that there shouldn't be a shout because there should
But if people shout and people still get hit.....?

Last edited:

User20204

Visit site
It's just a poor show that the player hitting the ball doesn't shout, no matter who you are or where you are playing.

Wolf

Visit site
Think the comment I heard during play when they found the ball was it hit a guy so well built it literally bounce off the back of his neck without him flinching, the kind of guy you make sure you apologise to 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That is the risk you take when you buy the ticket. I think the T&C's explain that on the ticket. That said though I am sure a time will come in the future when someone hits a shot, doesn't shout and hits someone and a legal hotshot will prove some degree of liability.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stanley's responded:

What a tool.
His attitude stinks, and I didn't like the comments about MacIntyre being a youngster and him being experienced, that was just pompous rubbish and irrelevant. And of course he should still apologise regardless. But I kind of see his point that if three other people already shouted quite quickly, him adding his voice isn't going to change anything.

I'm sure MacIntyre claimed that Stanley was happy for it to hit someone and come back in play, but he didn't address that comment at all. Unless I mis-remembered and he didn't say that.

Springveldt

Visit site
It's the PGA Tour way. These guys actually want it to hit someone if they are offline so that they will get a decent lie in the area that spectators have trodden down.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's just a <bit of a> poor show that the player hitting the ball doesn't shout, no matter who you are or where you are playing.
This!!

Not really a big thing that THIS player didn't shout, but also not unreasonable that another player has a go at him for not shouting!

Crowd 300 yds away isn't going to hear anyway. Plenty of indications mean they 'have been advised' but just a little 'un-ettiquitteish' imo.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
This!!

Not really a big thing that THIS player didn't shout, but also not unreasonable that another player has a go at him for not shouting!

Crowd 300 yds away isn't going to hear anyway. Plenty of indications mean they 'have been advised' but just a little 'un-ettiquitteish' imo.

If a crowd 300 yards away won't hear it why do we bother shouting at our local course. I bomb one 300 yards down hill and push it right on to hole 1 where the green is do I think I know they won't hear it so why bother shouting. It's a bullshit reason, If EVERYONE who hit it just bloody shouted Fore there would never be an issue would there.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If a crowd 300 yards away won't hear it why do we bother shouting at our local course. I bomb one 300 yards down hill and push it right on to hole 1 where the green is do I think I know they won't hear it so why bother shouting. It's a bullshit reason, If EVERYONE who hit it just bloody shouted Fore there would never be an issue would there.

We have a motorway adjacent to our course and its possible that players wont hear a shout but pretty well everyone i play with still shouts - its irresponsible not to!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's a massive difference between shouting at your local course and shouting at a Pro event.
Of course it should happen but..
At your local course it's likely to be fairly quiet and a shout will be heard, maybe, 400 yards away.
At a Pro event you have hundreds of people lining fairways. The only people who will be quiet are those in proximity to the player.
People make a lot of noise, even when talking normally - add a hundred voices together and you've got a foghorn.
Add in any wind and rain - spectators with hoods up or under umbrellas - and sometimes you'd be lucky to hear a shout 200 yards away.
None of this detracts from the need to shout but it does mean that sometimes a shout is worthless.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely its as simple as the player taking responsibility for his actions. In the event that a serious injury is caused I suspect the player would have the basisi of a defence had he/she shouted. If no shout then I can see some grounds for a case of negligence being introduced against the player.

I simply can't see why a player wouldn't shout.

sunshine

Visit site

Well at a tour event the pros are bombing it towards a group of people 300 yards away, whereas you bomb one right on to hole 1 which is only 150 yards away. Anyone can hear a shout from that distance

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Firstly, most of us don't fly it 300 yards, so those in danger are much more likely to be able to hear our shout.
Secondly, there's a distinctly larger amount of background noise in the likely 'landing area' at a pro tournament than there is on our weekend courses.

And/But/So you definitely shout if you carve one as above!

Yes, it would be fine if all who hit strays shouted. But, in this case, his excuse(s)/reason(s) seem reasonable to me.