Keeping your head screwed on during a round

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve had a couple of rounds with a spliff before and I must say it’s a very pleasurable experience especially with good weather.

I just didn’t fancy having to rely on it because there came a point where I wasn’t able to play without it and that’s the last thing I wanted to happen.

Think there is a difference (to a point) between CBD and a spliff. The differences between playing with the oil and without does seem marked so far

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are there noticeable differences in your scoring?

Yes. Bad ball striking rounds are still in the early 30's when they would have been 25-28 at best. Picked up the pot in the Sunday roll up for the first time in many seasons and several seconds in the Saturday roll up for a few quid as well. Add on second place in my division on Saturday in the comp (and winning that roll up) it has definitely made a difference. The rounds without I've gone back to old habits of analysing the swing after a bad shot and thinking ahead to what I need to do on the next hole

YandaB

Visit site
Yes. Bad ball striking rounds are still in the early 30's when they would have been 25-28 at best. Picked up the pot in the Sunday roll up for the first time in many seasons and several seconds in the Saturday roll up for a few quid as well. Add on second place in my division on Saturday in the comp (and winning that roll up) it has definitely made a difference. The rounds without I've gone back to old habits of analysing the swing after a bad shot and thinking ahead to what I need to do on the next hole
Are you sure it wasn't a spliff? :LOL:

MikeF86

Visit site
I can't get my head around amateur golfers taking the likes of CBD oil to help their mentality on a golf course. In a flaming Saturday roll up for a couple of quid - Absolute madness. Enjoy the game for what it is, embrace your handicap and understand that is that number because that's a reflection of how good (or bad depending on your outlook) you are. I'd genuinely step away form the game if my mentality when playing was so fragile.
I played on Saturday just gone, 12 mates who meet up throughout the year for some banter and some golf. I was +9 at the turn having been +0 thru 3. I shot 92, 22 over. Does it bother me? No! I had no expectations going in, I went to enjoy the day and i bloody well did. I could have and should have had a much better round but so be it. I'M not a tour pro, I'm a hacker at best and i understand that. Its just a game!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't take CBD oil, not recommend it to others. At best, it looks a lot like a placebo effect.

18 holes is a long time to keep up concentration, so better to break it down into bite size portions. A lot of people like the 6 x 3 holes game, where you play the course in little matches of 3 holes. Attach a small wager, like an episode of that Netflix show you like. So you play a match over 3 holes against the par plus strokes on the SI, win, lose or draw, then move on to the next match. It helps keep you more in the moment rather than drift off to what your 18 hole score might be.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can't get my head around amateur golfers taking the likes of CBD oil to help their mentality on a golf course. In a flaming Saturday roll up for a couple of quid - Absolute madness. Enjoy the game for what it is, embrace your handicap and understand that is that number because that's a reflection of how good (or bad depending on your outlook) you are. I'd genuinely step away form the game if my mentality when playing was so fragile.
I played on Saturday just gone, 12 mates who meet up throughout the year for some banter and some golf. I was +9 at the turn having been +0 thru 3. I shot 92, 22 over. Does it bother me? No! I had no expectations going in, I went to enjoy the day and i bloody well did. I could have and should have had a much better round but so be it. I'M not a tour pro, I'm a hacker at best and i understand that. Its just a game!

How you want to approach your golf and enjoy it and how I do the same are clearly different. I was lucky enough to be given some CBD to try by one of the manufacturers and all I am saying is it has really helped me on the course in terms of not having so many swing thoughts rattling around my head. Others have also said it helps. It isn't a magic bullet and still won't help me put a good swing on it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I’ve had a couple of rounds with a spliff before and I must say it’s a very pleasurable experience especially with good weather.

I just didn’t fancy having to rely on it because there came a point where I wasn’t able to play without it and that’s the last thing I wanted to happen.

Not all hero's wear capes.

Where do you smoke said spliff before the round?

MikeF86

Visit site
How you want to approach your golf and enjoy it and how I do the same are clearly different. I was lucky enough to be given some CBD to try by one of the manufacturers and all I am saying is it has really helped me on the course in terms of not having so many swing thoughts rattling around my head. Others have also said it helps. It isn't a magic bullet and still won't help me put a good swing on it.

I appreciate we are all different and I wasn't digging at you personally. You do you and if it works, kudos!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My best score until recently was +12, 18 months ago, prior to that I’d only broken 90 once. Never got close to it since, 87 was my lowest. 2 weeks ago I was 1 under after 3 holes and was on 22 points after 9 (stableford comp). I’ve been there many times before thinking I’m gonna smash my pb, let’s go, only to fail miserably and have an absolute mare on the back. So I just kept telling myself that net par is fine on every hole and try not to blob, take a point if you have to. I ended up with a total of 46 points and 10 over. Largely put that down to trying not to think about the total score, just took each hole as it came.

The beauty of golf is that I know for a fact my next round will be total gash and I’ll be lucky to get under 90!