Justin Thomas dumped

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
RL's statement is a business decision, no more, no less. All of these contracts have clauses, sometimes called morals clauses, regarding this sort of thing. I have no particular affiliation with RL, I do have a couple of polo shirts, but they are essentially promoting a lifestyle brand and lean on a perception of whatever the hell it is they use to sell their stuff, and their brand ambassadors are expected to be consistent with that brand image. So if that image is tarnished then it is not surprising, and clearly allowable within the contract, to drop him. Pointing at whether RL send small children up chimneys or strangle kittens is irrelevant and a whatabouttery argument.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I had a clothing brand I’d be positively harassing him right now with a sackful of dollars. He’s always come across as a likeable, intelligent guy. Someone you’d want to play 18 with.
He made a stupid mistake. What he said was offensive. But what kind of society are we if we don’t accept an apology that appeared sincere, was almost immediate, and showed contrition.

This a great post, however you already know the answer to the question regarding a tolerant and forgiving society.

We don’t have one and its getting worse.

Only difference from years gone but is that it’s the so called progressive and tolerant left that’s wielding the pitchforks and carrying the stocks.

I imagine this stuff goes in cycles over history but I see nothing but castigation, virtue signalling and single minded vile directed at anyone who says a silly word or has a differing opinion.

These people are setting back centuries of great progress. They really are.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
This a great post, however you already know the answer to the question regarding a tolerant and forgiving society.

We don’t have one and its getting worse.

Only difference from years gone but is that it’s the so called progressive and tolerant left that’s wielding the pitchforks and carrying the stocks.

I imagine this stuff goes in cycles over history but I see nothing but castigation, virtue signalling and single minded vile directed at anyone who says a silly word or has a differing opinion.

These people are setting back centuries of great progress. They really are.
I’d argue that it’s only the Left currently as the Right are in power. Criticism, much like satire, is predominantly aimed at the people who make the decisions and hold the reins of power ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d argue that it’s only the Left currently as the Right are in power. Criticism, much like satire, is predominantly aimed at the people who make the decisions and hold the reins of power ?

I don't think this is a left-right issue. RL probably sells to more Republicans than Democrats, given the preppy white image they have.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think this is a left-right issue. RL probably sells to more Republicans than Democrats, given the preppy white image they have.
If that’s the case then I’m genuinely bemused as to why they’ve dropped him! You’d think he’d be their ideal poster boy ?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a business decision based on the level of publicity they can generate, rather than their view of JT. (Probably)

Unless he has been guilty of more than using it as a throw away expletive and, I've absolutely no idea about that!!

I also suspect James has a point about countries of manufacture.

But it will make players think about how they conduct themselves. Or at least, demand the greenside microphones be removed.
Needs to be the former as before too long the crowds will be back & why should they have to be subjected to such unnecessary & immature outbursts particularly the youngsters we're hoping will take our sport forward.

D

Deleted member 15344

Must admit I'm hoping to see a more substantive follow up from JT as he was clearly mortified by what he said. Perhaps it'll still come. I think it probably takes a while to process what happened and decide how best to tackle it.

However, it may be that JT thinks the apology was enough and it'll all blow over as most golf fans clearly don't care about homophobia.

That’s not a great post

“Most golf fans clearly don’t care about homophobia” ?! Not great to judge like that surely ?

Thomas had an outburst towards himself using a word that he shouldn’t have done , it’s the very first instance of any issue from him , he was clearly mortified by what he did and offered an apology - what more is it he expected to you ?

Do something wrong - apologise and then move on.

There is no doubt the RLX will gain from their actions by the publicity alone

Thomas has lost out - he said sorry - what else do you believe he should do ?

These are countries where RLX is made

9F3406DB-CC27-4997-80C3-EEF9CD91FE3A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Must admit I'm hoping to see a more substantive follow up from JT as he was clearly mortified by what he said. Perhaps it'll still come. I think it probably takes a while to process what happened and decide how best to tackle it.

However, it may be that JT thinks the apology was enough and it'll all blow over as most golf fans clearly don't care about homophobia.
Clockwork Orange therapy???

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
isn’t the use of sweatshops, and the fact people are talking about that, and the making products in countries where homosexuality is illegal, poor PR.

Not if it isn't widely reported. Immoral, unethical and unconscionable behaviour, perhaps. And if it is publicised and becomes bad PR, someone else will be fired for it.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally disagree. They will be handing him a lot of money for doing nothing other than to promote their brand, there is no way they will want to be associated with such a negative slip up.
Totally disagree. I think it would be good all round if they publicised the mistake and Justin's sincere apology and his understanding that it is an unacceptable term today. Win win all round

D

Deleted member 1147

Not if it isn't widely reported. Immoral, unethical and unconscionable behaviour, perhaps. And if it is publicised and becomes bad PR, someone else will be fired for it.
But it is being reported, particularly on social media.
I may not have even thought about it had they not binned JT off.

D

Deleted member 1147

That’s not a great post

“Most golf fans clearly don’t care about homophobia” ?! Not great to judge like that surely ?

Thomas had an outburst towards himself using a word that he shouldn’t have done , it’s the very first instance of any issue from him , he was clearly mortified by what he did and offered an apology - what more is it he expected to you ?

View attachment 34515
The fact is Phil, no one has condoned homophobia, they’ve just said that one word, said in haste, shouldn’t deserve a ban. But the Pearl clutchers haven’t had their pound of flesh as yet.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I thought it might be nice if the new re-educated Justin Thomas then called out Ralph Lauren for manufacturing in countries that have homophobic laws, questionable human rights records or poor worker safety records. The trouble with that is that it could probably be applied to the majority
That’s not a great post

View attachment 34515

I believe you missed China and their outstanding record on human rights & free speech Phil. Granted not directly related to the subject matter, but equally nothing to hold the moral high ground over.