Justin Rose - Equipment change

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
First heard/read this rumour a few weeks back, its one that now seems to be gathering a bit of momentum and I've now heard it from a couple of different sources. One of which is pretty respectable.

Rose will be moving to Honma Golf. His relationship with Mark King being a big factor in this decision.

Interesting if true but they do make top quality products.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wish he would stay where he is. He has got where he has using TM, it clearly works for him. We've seen this too many times, golfers changes equipment, golfers game goes off.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting, I heard that he'd been testing Titleist gear earlier this year but why would he change, probably just the $$$$ but you'd think the $10m would cover that!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Moving to another top brand I can get to a degree, moving to a relatively unknown brand is two things to me, total greed and a very dangerous move for your golf game.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know it ruins the debate, but perhaps Rose as the person who knows his game most has tried the latest tech from Honma and Titleist to make sure what's best suited to him. Presumably he's changed clubs throughout his career as Taylormade launched them so it's not like he's not changed regularly.

On a side point I'd never heard of Honma so from a marketing point the link works as I'm off to check what they make!

D

Deleted member 3432

Moving to another top brand I can get to a degree, moving to a relatively unknown brand is two things to me, total greed and a very dangerous move for your golf game.

Probably sell way more clubs than Taylormade in Japan I would suspect.

I don't think a ball striker of Justin Rose's quality will have many problems adapting to new equipment.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

But you don’t know it’s greed that’s a pretty loaded assumption based on what? That all players earn a packet from endorsement so that’s what this must be?

What if he’s tried their gear, loves it and thinks it will take him to the next level.... and what the heck he doesn’t need to money as he’s just earned $10m?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Honma is certainly a 'well respected' brand in Asia - and makes some seriously expensive sets (aka $75k!)

Signing JR up would certainly be a major coup for Mark King! Can't say I'm impressed with much about that guy - apart from his fantastic ability to sell!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Honma are not exactly an unknown brand they make the clubs for several other manufacturers and just stamp the brand name on them. When Nike got in to golf equipment the forged blades used by the likes of Tiger Woods (I believe from the rumours) actually made by Honma. Same thing for Callaway who did not have a forged blade in their line up.

D

Deleted member 18588

Will it make that much difference to him?

Unlikely to be playing irons from their existing range and more likely to be have blades forged for him to his existing specs. This is what TM have done for Tiger and others.

D

Deleted member 18588

Honma are not exactly an unknown brand they make the clubs for several other manufacturers and just stamp the brand name on them. When Nike got in to golf equipment the forged blades used by the likes of Tiger Woods (I believe from the rumours) actually made by Honma. Same thing for Callaway who did not have a forged blade in their line up.

Was that not Miura?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was that not Miura?

Yes you are right I got the two mixed up.

The pictures I have seen of Honma clubs in the past leaves me not to have any doubt that the blades (which I am pretty sure Rose plays) are quality clubs. The prices would suggest that is the case.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes you are right I got the two mixed up.

The pictures I have seen of Honma clubs in the past leaves me not to have any doubt that the blades (which I am pretty sure Rose plays) are quality clubs. The prices would suggest that is the case.

Price bears little resemblance to quality in Japan!

There's a story about a Scotch Whisky compny that wanted to increase market share in Japan, so reduced the price. Market share dropped! And was only restored when it increased its price!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Justin is not stupid !
He will do what’s best for him.
Maybe he got where he is despite not liking TM clubs but was tied to a contract.
I am sure he has given it much thought as most professionals who don’t need money to play certain clubs.