Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Brads

Visit site

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Read the whole thing
An 18yr old cannot buy from a dealer but can buy second hand or a family member can buy and gift it.
As I said in my above post.

I did read the whole thing and being given a gift isn't the same as buying it himself unsupervised.

Ok, explain to me why an 18 year old can walk into a gun shop and buy a brand new shiney AR15 assault weapon designed to kill people en masse but can't buy a hand gun until he/she is 21?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I did read the whole thing and being given a gift isn't the same as buying it himself unsupervised.

Ok, explain to me why an 18 year old can walk into a gun shop and buy a brand new shiney AR15 assault weapon designed to kill people en masse but can't buy a hand gun until he/she is 21?

Or a beer!?

Actually not legally an adult in Nebraska and Alabama until you are 19, and not in Mississippi until you are 21! ???

What a stupid place. It has got a lot of growing up to do.

RRidges

Visit site
Read the whole thing
An 18yr old cannot buy from a dealer but can buy second hand or a family member can buy and gift it.
As I said in my above post.
That only applies if the dealer is a registered. If the dealer is not registered, which in the state I am in - Missouri - is the case for most purchases, from Gun Shows etc. the minimum age is 18.
That 1968 law was apparently a copout prompted by the killings of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King. The gun lobby supported it after it was watered down sufficiently to be symbolic only.
The entire issue is a reflection of the relationship between States and the Federal government. Until there's a Supreme Court ruling that is in favour of Federal Government, states can apply their own laws. Federal laws only apply for transactions that cross state boundaries.
Until there is a Supreme Court ruling based on The Constitution, which the federal government apparently fears might go against them, State and Federal laws can differ.
Oh. And there are about the same number of Gun ranges in Kansas City as there are Golf ranges!

Brads

Visit site

But buying it secondhand unsupervised is the same then ?
There are no restrictions on buying handguns at 18 unless you want to buy from a registered dealer.
This isn’t complicated by the way, no matter how hard you try.

Brads

Visit site
But they can’t pick up an assault rifle in Asda while they are buying their super strength cider.
That really gets into the constitutional right to own guns though.
Something you either agree with or not.
Americans agree with it.
It’s not our business to tell them they are wrong.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But buying it secondhand unsupervised is the same then ?
There are no restrictions on buying handguns at 18 unless you want to buy from a registered dealer.
This isn’t complicated by the way, no matter how hard you try.

It must be complicated as you can't seem to answer the question.
One more try.

''Under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, long guns can only be sold to individuals 18 years old or older while handguns can be sold only to individuals 21 years old or older.''

Why does the law make it easier for an 18 year old kid to buy an AR15 than a hand gun from a registered dealer?

Springveldt

Visit site
That really gets into the constitutional right to own guns though.
Something you either agree with or not.
Americans agree with it.
It’s not our business to tell them they are wrong.
From the polls I've seen the majority don't agree with it but thanks to their voting system it gets kept.

Someone needs to tell them they are wrong, far too many mass shootings happening due to you being able to pick up an AR15 along with your weekly shopping.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
From the polls I've seen the majority don't agree with it but thanks to their voting system it gets kept.

Someone needs to tell them they are wrong, far too many mass shootings happening due to you being able to pick up an AR15 along with your weekly shopping.

They know they are wrong but as long as the gun lobbys and the NRA keep throwing money at them they will not repeal the gun laws.
The right to bear arms and bury their children

Untitled.jpghhhh.jpg

Brads

Visit site
It must be complicated as you can't seem to answer the question.
One more try.

''Under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, long guns can only be sold to individuals 18 years old or older while handguns can be sold only to individuals 21 years old or older.''

Why does the law make it easier for an 18 year old kid to buy an AR15 than a hand gun from a registered dealer?
Bit impudent but hey ho
You have consistently stated they can’t buy a hand gun
Now you get smarmy and also change to why is it harder for them to buy a handgun
Change the narrative to make you sound like your right.?
I’ve answered you but you refuse to understand that.
Argue with yourself, I’m not interested.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Brads will be along to correct me if necessary, but my guess is it may be to do with the fact that a hand gun can be easily concealed. I suspect that hand guns are the weapon of choice for "normal" criminals, while assault rifles are preferred by the completely unhinged.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They know they are wrong but as long as the gun lobbys and the NRA keep throwing money at them they will not repeal the gun laws.
The right to bear arms and bury their children

View attachment 43490

The whole standing up to the government as "part of a well armed militia" is a complete red herring as well. These people obviously haven't heard of tanks, planes and missiles. How long do they think they'd last standing there with their AR15 if the government sent a hellfire missile down their chimney?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Brads will be along to correct me if necessary, but my guess is it may be to do with the fact that a hand gun can be easily concealed. I suspect that hand guns are the weapon of choice for "normal" criminals, while assault rifles are preferred by the completely unhinged.

Even more reason for the age to be increased or even ban their sale altogether.
These assault weapons belong on the battle ground, not in the playground.

Brads

Visit site
What’s the difference between an “assault” semi auto centre fire and a hunting semi auto centre fire rifle ?
Apart from the colour.