Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Americans are culturally very different from us, we both see it as odd as we share a (sort of) common language.

I worked for an American Software Co and spent my entire life explaining cultural differences to both the American and British boards.

What we see as "whooping and hollering" is them expressing thanks or delight. We see it (incorrectly) as bogus.

Conversely we had a Californian, just out of university, do a presentation in Gloucester to an IT Help Desk. Afterwards, they all filed out and just said thank you. Afterwards she was practically in tears as she thought she'd bombed. I had to explain she'd done blooming well to get any reaction at all out of an IT Helpdesk.

It's the same the world over.

As for South Africa, well, ....????
I've experienced similar both as participant and 'victim' in UK.
I 'housed' (billeted was the NZ equivalent) Katrina Adams (later USTA CEO/President) for a local tournament. Super enthusiastic even though she'd lost in the first round of her last 4 events. Everything was 'No prarblem' and she was determined to win this last one - that included Annabelle Croft - before returning to the States. If not for an injury, I'm sure she would have won the Final that she got to. Wonderful social skills/attitude.
A South African 'colleague', son of a top executive of an unrelated company - so maybe that contributed to the attitude, was very frustrating to work with. Even after explaining how and why things were done a certain way, he continued to do it 'his' way!

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Airbus was very multi national... I won a decent bet once predicting the order in which the various nationalities would arrive for a meeting! :) Harmless stereotyping is fun, and shockingly accurate! :)

...and if someone posts "there is no such thing as harmless stereotyping" it won't matter as they'll already be on the ignore list! :ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You comment on the minimal welfare state. My Son has been given $700 a month for each of his three sons up to the age of 18, not sure if you would get this in the UK. If he decides to stop work and stay at home he can claim another $1000 a month. OK, I understand your points but my experience is that to brand the country as full of gun toting Devil may care isolationists is extreme.
Is that 'Welfare State' as in from Government (or State)? Or from 'Social Security' payments funded either personally or through the company he worked for. I believe the latter is how most such 'benefits' are managed in US - and not necessarily for all employees.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Airbus was very multi national... I won a decent bet once predicting the order in which the various nationalities would arrive for a meeting! :) Harmless stereotyping is fun, and shockingly accurate! :)

...and if someone posts "there is no such thing as harmless stereotyping" it won't matter as they'll already be on the ignore list! :ROFLMAO:

Who said that??????????

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is that 'Welfare State' as in from Government (or State)? Or from 'Social Security' payments funded either personally or through the company he worked for. I believe the latter is how most such 'benefits' are managed in US - and not necessarily for all employees.
I think it's a State benefit but not sure if its associated to Social Security payments. I'm sure I would not have received those benefits irrespective of National Insurance payments had I been in a similar situation here.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think everyone who appears on tv news should be made to swear an oath to tell the truth, the whole truth etc
ALL news channels.
Fox, OAN, Newsmax, CNN, MSNBC....ALL of them.
That way, ALL the American people would get the truth, wouldn't that be refreshing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think everyone who appears on tv news should be made to swear an oath to tell the truth, the whole truth etc
ALL news channels.
That way, ALL the American people would get the truth, wouldn't that be refreshing.
Unfortunately, people see the truth in different ways. Who decides which is the correct truth o_O

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unfortunately, people see the truth in different ways. Who decides which is the correct truth o_O
That's an absolute truism!
The US public's attitude to the inability to find WMDs in Iraq were based along party lines - Democrats believing that there never were any and it was all simply an excuse; Republicans believing they were simply hidden/destroyed/dismantled. Same facts; different conclusion/s!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

You may have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts.
The truth is based on indisputable facts...
2+2=4
The earth isn't flat
The election wasn't stolen.

Edited for the oblate spheroid fans

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
2+2=4
The earth is round
Only one of those is a scientifically indisputable fact! And even then, there are some who would dispute it!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I once worked in a global business unit for which my team was very multi-National. I was not sure I was a believer when I heard folks talking about inter-National culture clashes but I can confirm that as the PM in the middle I found it very difficult managing a largely French design and build team to deliver to timelines agreed with my Indian programme directors, and service delivery managers. The Americans were great, as were the Germans, Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Romanians. The Poles were brilliant and my favourite teams to work with.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I once worked in a global business unit for which my team was very multi-National. I was not sure I was a believer when I heard folks talking about inter-National culture clashes but I can confirm that as the PM in the middle I found it very difficult managing a largely French design and build team to deliver to timelines agreed with my Indian programme directors, and service delivery managers. The Americans were great, as were the Germans, Austrians, Belgians, Dutch, Romanians. The Poles were brilliant and my favourite teams to work with.
Wow! That would indeed have been a challenge! Simply dealing with the French would have been a difficult from my experience. Wife at the time worked for a US company supporting hospital software in 6 European countries, therefore 6 variations of every package. Her description of meetings reflected most of the parodies of the various countries perfectly!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow! That would indeed have been a challenge! Simply dealing with the French would have been a difficult from my experience. Wife at the time worked for a US company supporting hospital software in 6 European countries, therefore 6 variations of every package. Her description of meetings reflected most of the parodies of the various countries perfectly!
…and I was the sole Brit…? The contrast between the way the French and Indians work is…well…I just couldn’t make it work.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ALL news channels.
Not specific to Americans.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2+2=4
The earth isn't flat

Edited for the oblate spheroid fans
Tesla cars are overpriced an poorly designed. Is this statement fact or opinion, does 2+2 =4 here?