Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
People have told me if they want to be religious I should let them be.
Fine.
However, I draw the line when they use their religious beliefs to make laws that affect the way other people live their life.
Unfortunately, I think Roe v Wade is just the beginning.
I believe you actually mean Dobbs v Jackson!
FWIW. Not all anti-abortion folk are 'religious zealouts', though many or even most 'religious zealouts' seem, to me, to be anti-abortion.
Of course, it's another demonstration of both the benefits and the deficiencies of US's democracy!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But I'm still asking you to provide a quote (from the OT or NT) which clearly states that removing an unborn from a woman is wrong.
Forgot about/missed this.
The 'standard' response is that Exodus 21:22-25 indicates that it's a crime, but not a capital (life-for-life) one. Though there are other another translation/interpretation that sets both sets a period when the punishment is only a fine, after which (when fully formed) it's a life-for-life one.
This article refers...https://humanjourney.org.uk/articles/exodus-21-and-abortion/
That said, Jewish Law, from which much of the Old Testament is derived/refers to, allows (and may even require) an abortion to to be performed if the mother's life is in danger. Other references indicate that a foetus is not considered a 'real person' until after its 40th day.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Can someone explain to Foxy that as I have him on ignore, I can't see anything he writes so he's wasting his time replying.
Thanks

Bob, what he has said is
"

The effect of Dobbs v Jackson was to overturn Roe v Wade! Effectively, Roe v Wade no longer exists in US law."

Iow, this latest Supreme Court decision is D vJ. The previous binding decision, which required all States to allow abortion, is R v W.
R v W has now been changed by D v J.

Which means he was right?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, what he has said is
"

The effect of Dobbs v Jackson was to overturn Roe v Wade! Effectively, Roe v Wade no longer exists in US law."

Iow, this latest Supreme Court decision is D vJ. The previous binding decision, which required all States to allow abortion, is R v W.
R v W has now been changed by D v J.

Which means he was right?

I'm not interested in what he said, I'm just sick and tired of him.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You don't even have to do that.
I'll raise you Deuteronomy 21:20-21
“This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death

Raise you further: What does the Psalm 137:9 verse mean in the Bible that says “happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks”? - Quora

But of course it doesn't mean what it says. It means just the opposite!
Explanation: Either theists' minds are wired up another way, or like Dawkins may argue there is a gene for religion which encourages people to avoid awkward passages from their scripture.
There is also more than just a suspicion that most people who call themselves Christians have never read much of the Bible.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reading this thread, both America and The Forum are overrun by religious zealots
:rolleyes:

Lets keep politics out of this thread please, or it will go the way of others
I have to say that I‘ve not spotted many of these on my side of that particular fence…??. And I get that.

Last edited:

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Nope not really.
People seem terrified of guns for no good reason.
I wouldn’t think for a second about getting shot in America.
What I do think though is their right to keep firearms is a positive and something that should never have been removed here.
It was only removed here to stop workers revolting after the Second World War.

Cool, I lived in in CA for just under 2 years.

I've seen 7 people get shot. I've lived here for 29 years, seen 0.

Brads

Visit site
You witnessed 7 shootings ?
I’d call that bad luck
Most Americans I’ve known or worked
With have never seen one.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
USA is a nation of nations. A cult of cults. A land so insular the inhabitants have difficulty naming other countries and are largely oblivious to world events.

It is founded on contradictions, like from a bundle of different cultures immigrants soon become integrated all Americans. Guns are fine but abortion is not.

But what do I know? I've been there 3 times as a tourist and for me it's always felt more like a foreign land than anywhere else I've ever been.
They were usually surprised to find that as a foreigner I actually spoke English.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a nation that is on the cutting edge of business, technology, and economics. Damn, they are a backward nation.

If this wasn't a shout for a minimum IQ for a voting card, then I don't know what is.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope not really.
People seem terrified of guns for no good reason.
I wouldn’t think for a second about getting shot in America.

What I do think though is their right to keep firearms is a positive and something that should never have been removed here.
It was only removed here to stop workers revolting after the Second World War.

I wonder how many of the (roughly) 321 people shot by a gun every day in the US think the same?