Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think everyone who appears on tv news should be made to swear an oath to tell the truth, the whole truth etc
ALL news channels.
Fox, OAN, Newsmax, CNN, MSNBC....ALL of them.
That way, ALL the American people would get the truth, wouldn't that be refreshing.
I'd be interested to know which ones don't 'tell the truth'. Albeit not always 'the whole truth'. And even how 'lack of truth' is determined.
Even the normal epitome of independence - the BBC seems to have a noticeable 'bias' in its reporting of the Ukraine/Russia conflict - though that's fine by me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd be interested to know which ones don't 'tell the truth'. Albeit not always 'the whole truth'. And even how 'lack of truth' is determined.
Even the normal epitome of independence - the BBC seems to have a noticeable 'bias' in its reporting of the Ukraine/Russia conflict - though that's fine by me.
…and even the most trustworthy of news outlets can only report what is said - and if what is said is a load of untruths or dissembling then the news can only report these untruths - they are not responsible for the falsehoods, but for the accurate reporting of them - and in doing so they are not biased.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Methotrexate access letter

Methotrexate is a drug originally developed for treating cancer but now used for many rheumatological diseases, RA and the like.

Some of the new state laws, especially in idiot states, have broad bans on drugs that can cause miscarriage or abortion, and many drugs can do this. Therefore people are fining it difficult to get thei methotrexate, even males or post-menopausal women. The same will be true for a bunch of other treatments used to treat cancer or serious immunological conditions. This is brain-dead to a shocking extent, even by American standards.

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
A 2 year old boy is now an orphan because of the mass shooting on July 4th. The US as a nation is a mess.

Oh, what to say? This is truly awful , as are all the other shootings.
Begs the question ( in desperation at trying to reduce it), is there a case for news blackout on these events. There must be a copycat element to these, don't you think.?
Can the news people not be made to keep it local? Or State only?
I know social media could/would "report" shootings, but even so, something along the lines of reduced publicity would help, wouldn't it?
Better than trying nothing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh, what to say? This is truly awful , as are all the other shootings.
Begs the question ( in desperation at trying to reduce it), is there a case for news blackout on these events. There must be a copycat element to these, don't you think.?
Can the news people not be made to keep it local? Or State only?
I know social media could/would "report" shootings, but even so, something along the lines of reduced publicity would help, wouldn't it?
Better than trying nothing.

I think they did that in New Zealand. They wouldn't broadcast the name or any information about the shooter so he didn't get his 15 mins of fame.
It seems it's the opposite in the US

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think they did that in New Zealand. They wouldn't broadcast the name or any information about the shooter so he didn't get his 15 mins of fame.
It seems it's the opposite in the US
Suppression of names is not uncommon/quite normal for certain crimes in NZ. It both 'assists Police in their inquiries' as associates are less likely to be warned and suppresses possible revenge attacks.
In this case though, The NZ PM stated, in Parliament, that she would never mention the gunman's name - a largely symbolic gesture to remove the perceived 'notoriety' goal.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Suppression of names is not uncommon/quite normal for certain crimes in NZ. It both 'assists Police in their inquiries' as associates are less likely to be warned and suppresses possible revenge attacks.
In this case though, The NZ PM stated, in Parliament, that she would never mention the gunman's name - a largely symbolic gesture to remove the perceived 'notoriety' goal.

My best man emigrated to NZ. Methinks I should have done likewise.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My best man emigrated to NZ. Methinks I should have done likewise.
There are positives and negatives about any/every county. We had/got quite a few 'poms' at my 1st IT workplace - including the top 2 managers, One even commuted 50+ miles a day by train, which was hard to understand - until we came over here. Not all fitted in - in fact one, weirdly, went back the same weekend he arrived!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yup , they like to teach responsible gun ownership young over there.
Plenty I know here who have had shotgun certificates at ten or under.

Just the massive difference between a teenager using a shotgun under adult supervision and an 18 year old owning a semi automatic assault weapon which is designed to kill people en masse