Just nipping down to the tip

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
is a thing of the past here.
If I want to take something to the tip, I now have to make an appointment online.
I have to give my name, address, postcode, phone no. email, car reg and take proof of where I live with me.

''This aims to keep you and our staff on-site safe and reduce the spread of coronavirus.''

I was in the area of the tip this morning so I nipped in to ask if the booking system was still being used or could I drop off a few old bits of wood.
I wasn't allowed.
Even though I was the only person there and the 'wood skip' was less than 20 yards away, the guy would not let me in. He went back to playing Candy crush on his phone.
Rules are rules :censored:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Went for the fiirst time the other day now the queues have died down, we just have to prove to the security lady that we have a BH postocde, pay the next man to dispose of a few building materials and then they let us in here. Lots more staff than usual, most standing around doing the square root of nothing, half the parking spaces have been taped off so easy to SD. Worked pretty well

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I went a few weeks back, I booked a time, no one there to check as I arrived and no one checking what I was dumping either. Pretty much have to pay to dump anything other than bulky waste.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just turn up and queue, well marshalled, no issues except how many cars in the queue.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No appointments needed at ours but they do limit how many cars can go in at any time. You go to a checkpoint, that person waves you through, asks what you are taking. If okay they wave you through. There are some items not being taken right now, rubble, tyres, only large items that one person can carry. Generally working well, I have not had a problem. Saying that, the local FB page is showing far more fly tipping so some of the restrictions are definitely having knock on effects.

Having appts seems over the top and jobsworth to me.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours are brilliant, booking system worked well except it put everyone on the same time slot for a couple of hours, but as it was only 5 cars it wasn’t an issue.

I hope the booking system stays as it was far better than it was before, I also like you can’t book more than once a week, again means short queues and all round easier.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When my local tip reopened a few weeks ago, the thing that irritated me was that many of the containers for different types of materials were closed and I was just told to throw pretty much everything into the "general waste" one. I fail to understand why Covid means that recycling goes out the window.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our 're-cycling centre' has been operating as per normal [with SD and face coverings of course].
They may ask for confirmation of address like a drivers licence etc. but not when I went.
No waiting/queue and only one bloke after me. Quieter than normal.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours has run an appointment system for a couple of months now....its fantastic. Takes less that 30 secs to book.

You drive up, they log your reg number that you entered when you booked, wave you through to a specific "space" and you get parked up in no time and get rid of your stuff....in and out in no time at all, no queuing and you don't have idiots causing chaos trying to drive 20 yards from one side of the dump to the other because they've got a big lump of wood they don't want to carry (because the reduced number of spaces to park in just doesn't allow it). By controlling numbers and times that folks book the people that operate the dump can schedule container crushing/moving when there are no appointments so they don't need to closing off areas of the dump for safety purposes which normally causes vast queues at busy times back on to the local road.

The only issue is that if I've been doing some heavy garden clearing I normally need two or three trips to get rid of the rubbish and that is not possible at the moment, but on balance I hope they keep the booking system going when everything dies down.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone does .. in the form of council tax
Kent CC has introduced a per item charge for their tips/recycling centres (all on top of your CT). Medway Council havent, and has brought in measures whereby you have to prove you're a Medway resident to tip for "free". However, they have 3 tips but only 2 are currently open. You have to book an apointment to tip your stuff and you aren't allowed a repeat visit for 1 month. The dustmen are also ripping open rubbish bags on the weekly bin run and refusing to take bags if they don't like whats inside the bags.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kent CC has introduced a per item charge for their tips/recycling centres (all on top of your CT). Medway Council havent, and has brought in measures whereby you have to prove you're a Medway resident to tip for "free". However, they have 3 tips but only 2 are currently open. You have to book an apointment to tip your stuff and you aren't allowed a repeat visit for 1 month. The dustmen are also ripping open rubbish bags on the weekly bin run and refusing to take bags if they don't like whats inside the bags.

Disagree with that on so many levels.

Should be allowed to go to the tip for free .. well not free it's part of your council tax.

Should also not have bins questioned .. it's a bin for crying out loud just take it away

Also requires too much of the bin men. During covid aswell shouldn't be examining bins closely

Just pick them up and take them away .. minimum contact

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disagree with that on so many levels.

Should be allowed to go to the tip for free .. well not free it's part of your council tax.

Should also not have bins questioned .. it's a bin for crying out loud just take it away

Also requires too much of the bin men. During covid aswell shouldn't be examining bins closely

Just pick them up and take them away .. minimum contact
I agree totally. They have targets for recycling of materials which we were doing very well with, but now they are charging you to use the facilities? You can bet the recycling rates will drop. The bin contract is now in-house, so many feel the bin men are working under instruction to drive people to the tips...... and endless cicrcle is being created.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree totally. They have targets for recycling of materials which we were doing very well with, but now they are charging you to use the facilities? You can bet the recycling rates will drop. The bin contract is now in-house, so many feel the bin men are working under instruction to drive people to the tips...... and endless cicrcle is being created.

Our bin men been great in lockdown..they been taken cardboard boxes not broken up into bags and just shoving it in the lorry (as they know we can't get down the tip as easy)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our bin men been great in lockdown..they been taken cardboard boxes not broken up into bags and just shoving it in the lorry (as they know we can't get down the tip as easy)
Cardboard boxes go with paper in the recycling truck, as do plastics, glass and metal.
Food and green waste goes in the brown wheelie bin.
General waste goes in black bin bags....and these are what is being ripped and inspected.
Thats 3 different trucks with 3 different crews on your bin day.