Just getting started

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Often when you need an extended shaft length your lie needs a little adjustment to. say 1/2 degrees up.

I am 6.3 also, 36.5 wrist to floor (from memory...may be wrong) and I am plus 1, 3 degrees up in lie. When Ping said you were +0.5 did they give you a colour code? They always do. For example white dot is 3 degrees up in lie.

I would avoid AG outlet stores. I've been in a few and their prices are crazy....often more than twice what there worth. Stick to golf bidder - more expensive than Ebay but trustworthy and you get what they say.....or my personal choice, Ebay - best value
Golfbidder is always much more expensive than my local AG Outlet branch. Got my R11S driver in there for 60 quid a year ago, they're still going for 87 on golfbidder. My XR Steelhead irons were 350 for 5-P, equivalent set on golfbidder is 374.

njmathers

Visit site
Often when you need an extended shaft length your lie needs a little adjustment to. say 1/2 degrees up.

I am 6.3 also, 36.5 wrist to floor (from memory...may be wrong) and I am plus 1, 3 degrees up in lie. When Ping said you were +0.5 did they give you a colour code? They always do. For example white dot is 3 degrees up in lie.

I would avoid AG outlet stores. I've been in a few and their prices are crazy....often more than twice what there worth. Stick to golf bidder - more expensive than Ebay but trustworthy and you get what they say.....or my personal choice, Ebay - best value

I did it all on their online system where you put the measurements in by yourself. But it said I would be a "blue dot". Which I believe is 1 degree upright.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I did it all on their online system where you put the measurements in by yourself. But it said I would be a "blue dot". Which I believe is 1 degree upright.

Blue is 0.75 upright .....so ideally your looking for irons 0.5 longer and 0.75 upright lie.....or just search for ping irons blue dot. BTW Ping will adjust lie free of charge.....only postage costs....or they did for the last 2 sets I sent them.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
with regards to trying clubs out I wouldn't worry too much about that. Your new and your swing is so inconsistent you probably wouldn't find too much out. What I would do is try and get something that is around 3/4 to 1 inch longer than standard off Ebay, then you can go to any pro and he will be able to adjust the lie angles for a few quid a club. A lot of people will say it isn't worth having the clubs fitted, but it can only help as it isn't going to make the clubs any harder to hit. I just think it is a good idea to start off with something that will get you set up correctly and not hunching over or digging the toe in making you slice it all over the place.

As Bob showed any of the PING G range is a good starting point, as are the Callaway X clubs like the X-14, X-16 etc etc. A set that is 5iron up to the wedges would be perfect, Throw in a couple of Hybrids to give some more length than than the 5iron, a good 4 wood (16-18 degrees) and you will in good shape. I wouldn't worry too much about a driver at this point as you would probably have way too much trouble trying to hit it. If you buy something from Ebay that is a few years old but in good shape you will still be able to more or less get your money back in a couple of years if you decide to go and splash on something new and shiny.

Last edited: