Just confirm my rules advice please

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems there was a bit of a discussion yesterday about whether a player should be DQ'd or not and yours truly was called up AFTER all the discussions. We are just a small society/roll-up but we always play strokeplay rounds following R@A and CONGU rules and handicapping.

A player drives wildy into the trees on the right and a solid thunk is heard. Player declares he's playing a provisional but on this occasion, with the drive being played almost directly into the morning sun, no one sees the flight of the ball. Based on the strike/feel the player thinks it was "a little straighter but still towards a line of trees on the right" but one FC "suggests" it was a "duck hook" left!!!:rolleyes:

Near the line of trees in question a ball is found and identified as his by the player - but at the time he was not certain if it was the original or the provisional. This ball is played forward and, as the player moves off, his "other" ball is handed to him by someone playing a parallel fairway. At this point the player realises that the ball he's played was his provisonal.

The remainder of the hole is played out and when confirming scores between the green and the next tee, The player states the correct score including the 3 off the tee.

The later discussions centered around the player playing the "found" ball without knowing if it was his original or his provisional - some suggested that since he couldn't be certain which ball it was it was a "lost ball" and he should have gone back to the tee to play another i.e. 5 off the tee.

My thoughts were that, since he'd found a ball that was his, and he could confirm that it wasn't a ball of his from a former round, his score (as returned) was correct. I went on to add that even if he hadn't found the other/first ball and he had continued to be ignorant of its status as either original or provisional, he would have had to treat it as his provisional to avoid the possiblity of returning a score lower than scored.

The reason for the discussions was to determine whether or not the player "won" the wooden spoon of shame! :D It's a big deal so the current "holder" won't let this go. I couldn't quote chapter and verse to back up my advice but was fairly sure it's correct - don't know why!!:mmm:

Any help gratefully received.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely you have to positively identify the ball as either original or provisional before you play it..?
If you can't identify it as one of the other then it's "lost" isn't it?
That would mean both balls "lost" therefore back to the tee playing 5.....
Seems the logical thing to me...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely you have to positively identify the ball as either original or provisional before you play it..?

+1!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

My understanding is that if you cant differentiate between the balls but it definitely is one of yours then it automatically becomes the provisional in play, therefore playing your 4th shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
- one for me.

One presumes that he identified the ball as being his before hitting it

The player has identified the ball as the provisional, albeit at a later stage, and has applied the penalties appropriate for playing the provisional ball.

It would be interesting to know how exactly he identified it as being the provisional as distinguished from the original ball.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know the answer to the question; but I do know that it's very easy to mark two balls differently so you can always tell which is which. Schoolboy error on his part I'd say. String him up!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I see it.

He played a ball which he could identify as his but only as either his original or his provisional. At that point, his other ball had not been found. According to Situation 1 of Decision 27/11, he must presume the found ball to be his provisional.
http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-27,d27-11

When his other ball is found, he is now sure that the one played was the provisional (I assume because of its location). The question has to be asked whether he played it from where the original was likely to be or nearer the hole. If so, his original ball is lost and his provisional is the ball in play. If not, he must abandon the provisional as his original ball is in play. It had been moved by an outside agency and so should be replaced, or more likely dropped as it's unlikely the exact spot where it had been would be known. There would be no penalty.

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

That was the point several were making but...

My understanding is that if you cant differentiate between the balls but it definitely is one of yours then it automatically becomes the provisional in play, therefore playing your 4th shot.

Which is what I thought and advised accordingly. Was concerned I may have missed some aspect in rule amendments and any related decisions (which I'm very vague on :eek:).

- one for me.

One presumes that he identified the ball as being his before hitting it

The player has identified the ball as the provisional, albeit at a later stage, and has applied the penalties appropriate for playing the provisional ball.

It would be interesting to know how exactly he identified it as being the provisional as distinguished from the original ball.

When I spoke to the player and he said balls played were a #1 and a #2, each marked differently. The first ball played was the #1 but at the time he stood over his 2nd/4th shot he wasn't sure, especially with the FC's "red herring" about a "duck hook" at the forefront of his mind. He was just relieved to find one, having lost plenty in that same area over several years - as have I!!

After his other ball was handed to him, it was clear that it could only have been the original ball based on where it was found, and that the provisional had been played.

I don't know the answer to the question; but I do know that it's very easy to mark two balls differently so you can always tell which is which. Schoolboy error on his part I'd say. String him up!

Save the string - he's one who markes each and every ball... and each provisional will usually be a different number and will always be marked differently from the original. :D

As I see it.

He played a ball which he could identify as his but only as either his original or his provisional. At that point, his other ball had not been found. According to Situation 1 of Decision 27/11, he must presume the found ball to be his provisional.
http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-27,d27-11

When his other ball is found, he is now sure that the one played was the provisional (I assume because of its location). The question has to be asked whether he played it from where the original was likely to be or nearer the hole. If so, his original ball is lost and his provisional is the ball in play. If not, he must abandon the provisional as his original ball is in play. It had been moved by an outside agency and so should be replaced, or more likely dropped as it's unlikely the exact spot where it had been would be known. There would be no penalty.

Yes, that's exactly the situation that occurred. Thanks for the correct reference Colin - much appreciated! :thup:

Last edited: