Just Back From Belek.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back from Turkey yesterday and...

MSIMOXl.jpg

I have been so careful over the past two years, keeping well away from crowds, shops and public places, but the lack of social distancing in the hotel was quite staggering.

Springveldt

Visit site
Unlucky. I had it a couple of weeks ago and like you I have been fairly careful. Working from home etc, only place I go to is golf. Played the Sunday and got symptoms the following Thursday before anyone else in the house and they all go to school! Wife and son started with symptoms a couple of days later. Daughter avoided it but she had it last June and has had 2 jags since then. At least the 3 of us had all had our jags which will have helped.

None of my playing partners had it so no idea where I caught it.

Hope your symptoms are mild like mine were although I lost my sense of smell and it’s not come back yet.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just back from Turkey yesterday and...

MSIMOXl.jpg

I have been so careful over the past two years, keeping well away from crowds, shops and public places, but the lack of social distancing in the hotel was quite staggering.

You are so lucky to have not caught it in Scotland in the last couple of months.

But, sorry to hear this and I hope you are not ill.

Whilst in Turkey ( when you were in crowded areas) or on the aircraft, did you wear a mask?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are so lucky to have not caught it in Scotland in the last couple of months.

But, sorry to hear this and I hope you are not ill.

Whilst in Turkey ( when you were in crowded areas) or on the aircraft, did you wear a mask?

I was probably the most careful of our group. Always wore a mask in the hotel when moving from room etc. and in public areas such as dining room from table to buffet. There was supposed to be a maximum of two per lift, but it would stop at a floor and others would cram in. Many, and I hate to say this, young English seemed to not bother.
On the aircraft, we were constantly reminded that the wearing of masks was compulsory, but many didn't seem to bother, and Edinburgh Airport was atrocious cramming us on to a shuttle bus for over 15 minutes to take us to the terminal.
Four out of the eight in our group have come down with it, but were feeling a wee bit under the weather on the last day of the trip however none of us thought it was Covid just tiredness from six rounds in six days.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You have been lucky not yo get it Clive, my mate rang me today to say he wouldn't be playing at the weekend as his wife had it for the 3rd time in the last 8 months. They had just visited Glasgow to see his sick father.

4LEX

Visit site
Unlucky. I had it a couple of weeks ago and like you I have been fairly careful. Working from home etc, only place I go to is golf. Played the Sunday and got symptoms the following Thursday before anyone else in the house and they all go to school! Wife and son started with symptoms a couple of days later. Daughter avoided it but she had it last June and has had 2 jags since then. At least the 3 of us had all had our jags which will have helped.

None of my playing partners had it so no idea where I caught it.

Hope your symptoms are mild like mine were although I lost my sense of smell and it’s not come back yet.

Bloody Prescott :oops:

AliMc

Visit site
I know you've said in the past that you play Dunbar, were you there with the guys from Dunbar who also came back yesterday AR & AA or is that just a coincidence ?
If you were with them I'll need to try and avoid them !

D

Deleted member 23270

I think it's pretty much inevitable that everyone will get it now. If you are fully jabbed though chances are it will be very mild. I've had it twice now, first time I felt a bit lethargic for a couple of days and had a sore throat, second time I didn't even know I had it but tested positive.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know you've said in the past that you play Dunbar, were you there with the guys from Dunbar who also came back yesterday AR & AA or is that just a coincidence ?
If you were with them I'll need to try and avoid them !

I certainly was there with Messrs AR and AA, both of whom have contracted the bug. There was another group from Sunny Dunny who arrived on Monday I think, but I don't know them.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's pretty much inevitable that everyone will get it now. If you are fully jabbed though chances are it will be very mild. I've had it twice now, first time I felt a bit lethargic for a couple of days and had a sore throat, second time I didn't even know I had it but tested positive.
I am fully jabbed, and I would like to point out that it is not very mild!

peld

Visit site
my question is how did you fly from Edinburgh? was it direct to Antalya or you need to change?

AliMc

Visit site
I certainly was there with Messrs AR and AA, both of whom have contracted the bug. There was another group from Sunny Dunny who arrived on Monday I think, but I don't know them.
Thanks Clive, good to know so that I can avoid them for a while ! AR & AA both play in my group along with five of the group who arrived on Monday, wonder how they are getting on ?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would be interested to hear about hotel, courses played. Get well soon.
We have been going to Turkey for eight years now, barring the last two years due to Covid. We always use Bilyana Golf to arrange things and stay at the Serene Hotel in Belek. I would say that things were slightly different this year due to the pandemic, such as the catering which was not so much self service buffet, but the food was excellent. The hotel itself was a lot quieter than in previous years which could be due to travel restrictions as in the past there were always a lot of Russians. The courses we played were Pasha x 2, Sultan x 2, Cullinan Links (Formerly Titanic) and Carya. All were busy, but not overly so and in fantastic condition. The only downside was the Culinan Links which has undergone a complete redesign and has not been remapped for GPS, so unless you have a laser, judging distances was a problem. I must say that Carya still ranks as my favourite course of the ones we played this year.

Springveldt

Visit site
I am fully jabbed, and I would like to point out that it is not very mild!
When I said mild I meant I had a sore throat for days that felt like I was swallowing razor blades and I couldn't sleep laying down as I'd get coughing fits so had to sit upright. Had a headache for 4 days that wouldn't go away even with pain killers. I hope that is all you are experiencing.

With covid, anything that doesn't put you in hospital is classed as mild. I'm still coughing 2 weeks after testing negative and I've still got no sense of smell.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
my question is how did you fly from Edinburgh? was it direct to Antalya or you need to change?

We flew Jet2 from Edinburgh direct to Antalya. Some of the guys are returning in October and are flying Turkish Airlines from Edinburgh to Antalya direct.

I would say however, that once again, the handling agents at Edinburgh were appalling. No stairs to the aircraft when we arrived, All crammed into a shuttle bus and having to wait in it for over 20 mins before it moved and an extraordinary wait for baggage reclaim! Recent press reports are warning of disruption in the future at Edinburgh Airport. I can't imagine how it could be any worse!

peld

Visit site
We flew Jet2 from Edinburgh direct to Antalya. Some of the guys are returning in October and are flying Turkish Airlines from Edinburgh to Antalya direct.

I would say however, that once again, the handling agents at Edinburgh were appalling. No stairs to the aircraft when we arrived, All crammed into a shuttle bus and having to wait in it for over 20 mins before it moved and an extraordinary wait for baggage reclaim! Recent press reports are warning of disruption in the future at Edinburgh Airport. I can't imagine how it could be any worse!
Edinburgh has been in decline for years as soon as they tried to make very penny they could out the place. Think its second only to Manchester in terms of awful airports. (Admittedly a long way behind Manchester, utterly appalling airport)