Junior Golf

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My son is a junior member of a local club and part for the junior teaching academy with a really great pro, however there is not much golf at the club for juniors outside of these lessons. We did have one parent who would arrange ad-hoc tee-times but no or very few formal competitions and this seems to had stopped recently.

I’m potentially thinking about offering to take on the junior organisers role and wondered if anyone has done a similar role and can offer some insight to what it entails or advice?

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
Hi
I've been a junior organiser at my club - if you want to send me a message I'll happily go through what we did. It's really rewarding, but golf clubs can be incredibly frustrating, especially if they don't have a pathway for juniors

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well done on being prepared to contribute what could turn into a serious amount of seemingly unrewarding and often frustrating time and effort. Having done something similar in Tennis many years ago, my experience was that the kids are, generally, not a problem. But the parents certainly can be!
Good luck and thanks for contributing to the next generation of golfers.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My son is a junior member of a local club and part for the junior teaching academy with a really great pro, however there is not much golf at the club for juniors outside of these lessons. We did have one parent who would arrange ad-hoc tee-times but no or very few formal competitions and this seems to had stopped recently.

I’m potentially thinking about offering to take on the junior organisers role and wondered if anyone has done a similar role and can offer some insight to what it entails or advice?

We had some really enthusiastic guys help out when I was a junior - and had a pretty strong junior section.
I’d have conversation with the pro who’s running the academy and see if you can offer to help him on the organisational side. Club I’m at, we’re fortunate to have a 9 hole par 30 course, which is perfect for junior comps, it’s when you’re trying to get a group of kids out onto a course at one time that some people might start objecting, but it’s important for the club to establish a time when juniors can play

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

First and foremost you have to convince your club that unless new blood is introduced to the sport their club will eventually fade away.
I have had loads of experience up to International/Pro level.
PM me if you want specific answers and yes, get involved, you will find it very rewarding.