Jules Bianchi serious head injury in F1

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They didn't show the crash thankfully, but some of the pictures of the aftermath are horrible. It looks like his car went under a protruding bit of the tractor which sliced the top off the car. Best wishes to the lad for a quick and full recovery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Missed the GP and so only heard about this once he'd gone to hospital. Surprised it wasn't shown in the live coverage as there is usually a camera somewhere but given the magnitude and seriousness I'm glad it wasn't. Hope he recovers fully

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He's about to undergo a second operation apparently to stop further bleeding... I don't watch F1 but I hope this guy pulls through.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Just caught the start of the race earlier. Why they let them race in that rain was just plain stupid.

It was not that bad too be fair, they started under a safety car but after 10 laps it was dry enough to switch to intermediate tyers the forecast was for no more rain so some teams were even considering slicks but then it came down hard and at that point with tyre degredation they did not have enough grip for that corner. Tragic accident because of the recovery vehicle, without that Bianchi would have been fine just like Sutil. If anything they should look at how to make these recovery vehicles safer in a collision as it is 10+ tons of steel which have to come on the track to recover the cars.

God bless Jules praying for you

G

guest100718

The conditions were fine for racing. Although maybe they should have bought out the SC as soon as Sutil went off as the condtions were deteriation fast at that point. The BBC were completely unaware of what was going on with Bianchi. F1 has become a lot safer in recent years but this serves to remind us that it still very dangerous sport.

G

guest100718

A video of teh crash has appeared on youtube, it really was some impact. It does ask questions about why a marshall was waving a green flag from a tower above the Sutil crash.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Why was he going at that speed under double yellows?

I cant believe what ive seen on that video.

They are investigating the overall safety limits regarding that and also the green flag that was being waved. The problem is that F1 cars are designed for speed and need the downforce to stay on the track. Much below a certain speed they have no grip and spin off, it looks like they are crawling along on tv when actually they are still doing 60-70mph which only looks fast when they lose control and hit something.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They have all the safety barriers and impact reduction measures - and on a corner where a driver has skidded off in the rain they trundle out a bleeding great hunk of steel with things sticking out here there and everywhere - and park it beside the car that has just slid off. Now that isn't very intelligent or risk aware.

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reading the latest updated, if I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like he didn't actually hit his head? Rather, it was the rapid deceleration caused by the impact that has caused his head injury?

This gives me a little more hope than if there had been a severe impact directly with his head - false hope perhaps, I'm no medical expert afterall.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone seen the video of the crash yet.
I have seen it and how he survived I will never know.
There is also a marshall waving a green flag for go.
I think a lot more is going to come out from this.

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
Thing with it was when he lost control his speed didn't slow down but probably increased, I think in situations like that they should have a mobile tyre barrier they put out before they start to recover a car.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Has anyone seen the video of the crash yet.
I have seen it and how he survived I will never know.
There is also a marshall waving a green flag for go.
I think a lot more is going to come out from this.

Yes - I've seen it. It doesn't look great - but in truth all you see is the 'recovery' vehicle and the guys working on Sutil's car then out of the blue this other car appears and goes right under the rear engine end (ground clearance looks two-three feet) of the recovery vehicle. Sutil's car lifts the recovery vehicle up as it passes under it and it then settles back down on top of his car. And that's what you see.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Thing with it was when he lost control his speed didn't slow down but probably increased, I think in situations like that they should have a mobile tyre barrier they put out before they start to recover a car.

Sounds like a very good idea.... email it to Ecclestone

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There have been much worse accidents in F1 and other motorsport that have been televised, not to say that this one isn't bad. What's most shocking about this one for me is the circumstances under which it's happened. It should have been an avoidable accident if sensible process had been followed. Someone has made a terrible error of judgement, given the circumstances the race should not have been restarted until the recovery vehicle was back behind the barriers.