Jeremy Corbyn

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I quite like the state of being deluded...

Beats, hands down, the feeling of being reamed out by the tories any day of the week...

Just out of curiosity, and I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just how have the Tories reamed you? Have they increased your taxes? Have they been in office during a high period of inflation driven by a spending policy, with food prices etc going through the roof?

I feel the stereotyping of any of the major parties should be consigned to the dustbin.

Are Labour a party for the working man? Are they a party that sees nothing wrong with a life on benefits being a life style choice?

There's a whole heap of things wrong with the Tories philosophy of trickle down economics, but I'd rather that than the choices Labour offer.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I quite like the state of being reamed out by the tories any day, ok

Thats what can happen when you pick one sentance out and twist it. Hope you like being reamed out steve.

For those that did not quite get it I said JC and his deluded followers are turning me off politics.
I did also ask what JC and the Labour Party could do for me. but if you would sooner be deluded, than respond to my question that's your choice

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I quite like the state of being deluded...

Beats, hands down, the feeling of being reamed out by the tories any day of the week...
Engineering considers 'Reaming' to be the action of converting a rough surface into a precision high quality one. In that respect then I am quite happy to have been 'Reamed' by the Tories. Labour are better at converting high quality into, (now what would Tash call it ?) Rammel, that's it Rammel :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Raising the number of bank holidays may get votes but it won't benefit the country.

In this modern age we need flexible time out of work, not ones decided for us.

The only ones who would benefit are those paid double to work those days.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Engineering considers 'Reaming' to be the action of converting a rough surface into a precision high quality one. In that respect then I am quite happy to have been 'Reamed' by the Tories. Labour are better at converting high quality into, (now what would Tash call it ?) Rammel, that's it Rammel :)

Off to Wembley in five mins and that has put a right smile on me face 😁

U

User62651

Raising the number of bank holidays may get votes but it won't benefit the country.

In this modern age we need flexible time out of work, not ones decided for us.

The only ones who would benefit are those paid double to work those days.

It is a cheap vote winner but a lot of companies, mine included, these days give you the public holidays as part of your overall annual leave, up to you if you take them on the actual public hol days or use them when you want. I'd love a few more holidays, still think the work/life balance here is wrong. Happy workers are more productive workers.:thup:

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bankrupt Country, High Taxes, High unemployment, Nanny State, anti business, Union domination of politics. Oh yes! I'm sure that would be better.

The country is already bankrupt, what are we - £1.8 TRILLION in debt? Has rocketed during the Tory years despite the austerity cuts. Perhaps it's not the right way to go about things.

Higher taxes? The Tories have confirmed they will raise them anyway.

Higher unemployment? The Tories have done well to stretch the definition of employment. Take away those underemployed, those on zero hour contacts and those on tax credits and it would look rather different!

A Nanny State? Think we've got that one already!

Don't think asking businesses to pay their fair share of tax is "anti-business".

Don't think unions will ever dominate politics as they have in the past - the demographic is simply no longer there.

Don't have any allegiance with any of the parties particularly, but am concerned the damage to our society that May's wing of the Conservatives would cause over five years.

Seems like people are forgetting that - it's not just a re-run of the Brexit referendum, but a fully-fledged GE that will dictate the direction of the country for the next half a decade. Or perhaps just for a year or two before they feel like having another one.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The country is already bankrupt, what are we - £1.8 TRILLION in debt? Has rocketed during the Tory years despite the austerity cuts. Perhaps it's not the right way to go about things.

Higher taxes? The Tories have confirmed they will raise them anyway.

Higher unemployment? The Tories have done well to stretch the definition of employment. Take away those underemployed, those on zero hour contacts and those on tax credits and it would look rather different!

A Nanny State? Think we've got that one already!

Don't think asking businesses to pay their fair share of tax is "anti-business".

Don't think unions will ever dominate politics as they have in the past - the demographic is simply no longer there.

Don't have any allegiance with any of the parties particularly, but am concerned the damage to our society that May's wing of the Conservatives would cause over five years.

Seems like people are forgetting that - it's not just a re-run of the Brexit referendum, but a fully-fledged GE that will dictate the direction of the country for the next half a decade. Or perhaps just for a year or two before they feel like having another one.

Don't forget sending 50% of our young people to study useless degrees at Universities and getting them massively into debt as another way of massaging the unemployment figures!

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't forget sending 50% of our young people to study useless degrees at Universities and getting them massively into debt as another way of massaging the unemployment figures!

Aye, all parties have failed on that one.

Labour's initiative to get half of people in University.

Then the Tories + LD to hit them with £50k of debt on graduation, accruing interest at £3k a year at the moment! Need to earn £55k just to keep up with the interest at the moment. :mad:

Someone needs to put a stop to that before it spirals out of control.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Aye, all parties have failed on that one.

Labour's initiative to get half of people in University.

Then the Tories + LD to hit them with £50k of debt on graduation, accruing interest at £3k a year at the moment! Need to earn £55k just to keep up with the interest at the moment. :mad:

Someone needs to put a stop to that before it spirals out of control.
So who should be paying this money then?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Personally I'd favour reducing University places, increasing vocational training, and bringing it all under general taxation.

I'll vote for that!!

I benefited from a number of courses, inc. residential, all paid for by the state. There were City & Guilds, BTEC ONC & HNC - the degree was paid for by my employer. If the country could afford it once upon a time, why can't a version of that be available now? Why can't my tax dollars, increased if needs be, fund better education and the NHS?

Many of those in higher positions now were funded FOC, and its embarrassing to get into a conversation with a youngster and hear how they are struggling.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I'd favour reducing University places, increasing vocational training, and bringing it all under general taxation.

Good idea however I find it very strange that there are many high end degrees like engineering that have sponsored offered places that today's students don't want to take up. So many just seem to want the "University " experience and don't seem to take the debt into consideration.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there's too many mickey mouse degree's these days, need to get back to basics, I'm all for education but tbh some of the people getting into uni these days wouldn't have got in a few years back, they would have had to go to tech college and become a tradesman, possibly why a good tradesman are like hens teeth.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can go with that. The problem with funding started when many Polytechnics were given University status and a target made where 50% of young people should go to University. This created an obvious funding problem, where exactly should the money come from. Should working people have to subsidise people further than they do already or should the Undergraduate pay part of their costs themselves. Lets not forget that tuition fees are a small part of the cost and the rest is still paid by the tax payer.

I would support assisted tuition fee funding for certain degree courses but not all.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Getting back on topic a good read from Craig Murray

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/04/the-corbyn-conundrum/

IMO he is basically saying that many folk in England are struggling to find a party to support.

I feel the article started well but then fell into the very thing he was decrying, i.e. how the media is opinion driven rather than seeking the truth.

And then he goes on an attack on Marr's ability to question May with the same ferocity. I think Marr did an excellent job on May 6-8 weeks back in exposing her inability to be truthful.

However, I do feel he is right when he says there's no credible opposition in England, and it does seriously need one. Equally, even with proportional representation in Scotland, is there really a credible opposition north of the border?

Corbyn's past is littered with examples that scare the general electorate, and the opposition to Labour quite rightly highlight those. Dealings with Hamas and Hezbollah aren't the ideal people to have on your CV, especially at the time when he was running contrary to British foreign policy.

I'll be honest, I'd like to vote for a New Labour style party, but the current version is old Labour with strong links to the far left. The thought of the triumvirate of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott scare the hell out of me, and until that changes they won't get my vote.