Jeremy Corbyn

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think that the Tory Government would really have to muck things up in a big way before the Labour Party led by Jeremy Corbyn would have any chance of being elected!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that the Tory Government would really have to muck things up in a big way before the Labour Party led by Jeremy Corbyn would have any chance of being elected!

Yes.. And they almost never do that do they? As do all other Governments.. Quite often the elected party is more representative of the failings of the opposition rather than the coherence and success of their own policies.. Everything has a life cycle. The current Government will implode as have all others before them..

Oh, and non-voters are not irrelevant really, as the correct leader of the Labour Party should be aiming to energise the current non-voters and utilise them to make large gains at the next election.. It's pretty much the most important demographic, before even the SNP voters..

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Corbyn is unlikely to be the leader and even less likely to take Labour into an election, but he may help them reframe their policies away from this awful pseudo Tory bilge and more towards a traditional Labour view. Labour have not presented such a narrative to the public since Blair arrived, but the SNP success in Scotland is based in part on them occupying exactly such a place and there is a demand out there for it. It is insane that some many people vote against their interests in the UK.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In the UK we have the choice between The Nasty Party who would sell their own grandmothers and have other peoples' children working up chimneys, if they could get away with it, and a party of well meaning do-gooders who would be hard pushed to organise a drinking session in a brewery. No wonder we are slowly becoming a third world country!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the UK we have the choice between The Nasty Party who would sell their own grandmothers and have other peoples' children working up chimneys, if they could get away with it, and a party of well meaning do-gooders who would be hard pushed to organise a drinking session in a brewery. No wonder we are slowly becoming a third world country!

It's not a bad summary of the way each party is represented by modern media outlets.. It's also complete BS in the main, with both parties having good and bad points..

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not a bad summary of the way each party is represented by modern media outlets.. It's also complete BS in the main, with both parties having good and bad points..

The media were a driver to the SNP in the general election
As I said earlier the bubble that exist[ed] between the politicians and the media is well and truly burst.
Social media won the SNP their 56 MP's and cost Labour dearly.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The media were a driver to the SNP in the general election
As I said earlier the bubble that exist[ed] between the politicians and the media is well and truly burst.
Social media won the SNP their 56 MP's and cost Labour dearly.

I'd agree that Newspapers don't hold the power they used to. Just look at the money and coverage that Richard Desmond gave to UKIP. All that advantage and it turned to dust in front of him.

The SNP reference is a strange one. I'm not sure that the decrease in influence affected the result. I believe it was more the "them and us" rhetoric that was forwarded on every occasion by the SNP. At times it was quite insulting and simplistic. Constant references to "The English" and "The Westminster Government" fostered quite a xenophobic response on both sides of the wall.. It became almost self fuelling by the time the election came around.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd agree that Newspapers don't hold the power they used to. Just look at the money and coverage that Richard Desmond gave to UKIP. All that advantage and it turned to dust in front of him.

The SNP reference is a strange one. I'm not sure that the decrease in influence affected the result. I believe it was more the "them and us" rhetoric that was forwarded on every occasion by the SNP. At times it was quite insulting and simplistic. Constant references to "The English" and "The Westminster Government" fostered quite a xenophobic response on both sides of the wall.. It became almost self fuelling by the time the election came around.

The Westminster government needs to be said to separate it from the Scottish government.
The English......what is wrong with that, do the English not say.... The Scots.
I saw a lot more xenophobic stuff against SNP/Scots than I did the other way around. Many did not make any allowances for non SNP supporting Scots.
This was fueled by the Tory and Labour campaigns to keep the SNP from gaining any influence at Westminster.

What happened was that the Labour leadership Murphy,Kezdale and Curran said so many stupid things.
'It is easy to fool the SNP', 'We won't lose a single seat to the SNP' as examples.
Mind you he was right about the single seat that they did not lose:lol:

These quotes were repeated thousands of times on social media, made them look like total numpties and cost them dearly.

Which was the point I was making on my thread about the Labour leadership.:eek:

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I don't think you can say that - 4 million votes and 1 MP is a failing of the voting system, not the party.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Labour lost its traditional vote in Scotland because it was taken for granted, not helped by some inane comments by Ed Milliband that he would not make any deals with the SNP in the event of a hung Parlianent. More fool him!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Labour lost its traditional vote in Scotland because it was taken for granted, not helped by some inane comments by Ed Milliband that he would not make any deals with the SNP in the event of a hung Parlianent. More fool him!

How could Millband form an alliance with the SNP when their aim is to break up the uk.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a Labour/SNP alliance seems to be the only way to keep Scotland in the UK.
That was why I was surprised when Milliband took the stance he did. He might have been PM if he had taken the gamble.

No surprise at all really... With a SNP 'leading light' saying he wishes to punish Londoners... Might go down well north of the wall but doesn't make good listening in these parts... Strong labour vote in London don't forget...

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
No surprise at all really... With a SNP 'leading light' saying he wishes to punish Londoners... Might go down well north of the wall but doesn't make good listening in these parts... Strong labour vote in London don't forget...

Doesn't go down well amongst us all here. The SNP are an embarrassment.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think you can say that - 4 million votes and 1 MP is a failing of the voting system, not the party.

But, if you consider what Mr Desmond actually wanted/needed, then it was a massive failing. Let's not forget that the voting system was in place long before the election, so they knew exactly what they needed, and they got nowhere near getting it.