James Webb telescope . Seeing the first stars?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
There are 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe and each has about 2 billion stars which have planets and at one is likely to be in a habitable zone for life.
So what do humans do?
They broadcast our whereabouts to potential aliens who could have far superior technology and might need a new home.
Genius.
Stephen Hawking warned us about this and it might already be too late.
World governments would collapse. The human race might be reduced to slaves.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There are 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe and each has about 2 billion stars which have planets and at one is likely to be in a habitable zone for life.
So what do humans do?
They broadcast our whereabouts to potential aliens who could have far superior technology and might need a new home.
Genius.

Yes, but if they are that far ahead of us in technology, they are probably not riven with our brutish attributes.
In which case they may help us immensely ( if we don't shoot them on first sight?)
There is increasing reason to think , of course, that they are already here.
Not irrefutable evidence, but , oh my, it is stacking up.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So what do humans do?
Genius.
More utter twaddle!
https://www.google.com/search?q=how...ome..69i57.23964j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what do humans do?
Genius.

How long will our broadcasts take to reach these aliens? I'd wager a lot, lot, lot longer than their detection methods, if they have superior tech.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Brian Cox was on about it last night in his series Universe.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ion-galaxies-in-the-universe/?sh=68f7cb4c5a67

Beyond the observable horizon there could be any number of galaxies and one day all will be visually lost beyond the horizon.
It will just be the Milky Way plus merging galaxies from our local group (Andromeda, Triangulum etc.).
But don't think the merger will be friendly. Tidal forces will produce mayhem. Stars will be destabilised and black holes will devour whole stars and planets.

Look up into the night sky and it might look peaceful but galaxies, stars and black holes are smashing into each other right now.
Any number already have. We know this because we have detected gravitational waves as predicted by Einstein.

The JW telescope will no doubt reveal far more.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The very next link says there are way more and as many as 2 trillion... At least try and add something. Otherwise just leave.
Er...Which the next sentence (in the Wiki article) 'corrected' to 'roughly 200Billion'! 'However, later observations with the New Horizons space probe from outside the zodiacal light reduced this to roughly 200 billion...;
That's the 2021 estimate! The Forbes article (that I believe Cox referred to) was from 2018
I suggest you follow your own 'advice'!

Suffice to say though....there are lots!

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
David Icke?
If it looks like a lizard, acts like a lizard, walks like a lizard, then it probably is a lizard.
So, maybe.

PS. Did you know that the whole town of Grantham (pop. 25,000) was abducted by aliens in November 1965?
Why they wanted to do that I don't know. Ref. Anthony Mallin 'UFO Official Briefing'.
(Well, it does say it's official).

Thatcher?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I subscribe to the thinking that whilst other forms of life are bound to exist we are destined to never meet or communicate with them. The distance, time and energy required are all too great for us to travel to them or them to travel to us.

Whilst all the theories about wormholes are consistent with general relativity we don't know if any exist. And if we did, we would still require incomprehensible amounts of energy and time to travel through them. And that's assuming it was even possible to travel through one without being squashed or stretched to infinity.

The more you read into cosmology the lonelier our universe becomes, at least it does to me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, but if they are that far ahead of us in technology, they are probably not riven with our brutish attributes.
In which case they may help us immensely ( if we don't shoot them on first sight?)
There is increasing reason to think , of course, that they are already here.
Not irrefutable evidence, but , oh my, it is stacking up.
See The Oats Studios Rakka (plus other episodes) on Netflix for an earth and humanity colonised and controlled by aliens. Interesting set of short films trying out a variety of sci-fi concepts…

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6990734/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That our mathematical descriptions of the universe break down all too readily when we try and understand what we think we can see or detect when looking at what we call ‘great distance’ or ‘through time’, suggests to me that there is a possibility that we might have got it all wrong, and that we don’t really understand things at all….and quite possibly never will - that our constructs of time and distance are only really valid for things humanity can touch or are just beyond our fingertips, but are invalid for further extrapolation.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That our mathematical descriptions of the universe break down all too readily when we try and understand what we think we can see or detect when looking at what we call ‘great distance’ or ‘through time’, suggests to me that there is a possibility that we might have got it all wrong, and that we don’t really understand things at all….and quite possibly never will - that our constructs of time and distance are only really valid for things humanity can touch or are just beyond our fingertips, but are invalid for further extrapolation.
But they don't actually 'break down'! The simply need a 'minor tweek' for things that happen under 'extreme circumstances' - e.g. at speeds approaching the speed of light, or under extreme (gravitational) force or proximity (in nucleii). Newtonian physics still works very well for 'normal' conditions. The prediction and subsequent detection of the Higgs Boson is an example of such adjustments.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First images released and… mindblowing.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...livers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm amazed that the Hubble telescope is 30 years old - and still performing pretty well.
This new one is, however a 'quantum leap' in capability though!