I've only got 13 clubs in my bag

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stronger hybrid and a 4 iron or just add a stronger hybrid.

You also may want to look at gapping your wedges more - 50/54/58

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Driver, 3 wood, 4 hydrid, 5-PW, 48,54,60 wedges and putter.

Can anyone suggest what I am missing?
If it's not obvious to you, then there's nothing missing! You'll generally know if there's something missing, as you'll keep having to make compromise decisions. The only place I could see that happening is between 4H and 3W, where either a 5W or 2/3H might be handy.But if you aren't having to make compromises, then it's likely not an issue - at least at your course.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Maybe look at the wedges. Depending on what loft the PW is why not go 48, 52, 56, 60

Pitching wedge loft is 43, the other wedges were bought after consulting the titleist vokey website and using the wedge selector tool, so think I'm covered in that department. I did have a hybrid 3 but after having a few lessons I was advised I didn't need it.

Suppose I am happy with the clubs, I just wondered if there was anything glaringly obvious missing from my bag.

Hackers76

Visit site
Same here, except I have a 3 & 4 hybrid and no fairway wood. It’s on the list to look at but the 3 hybrid can go 210 in normal summer conditions so never been essential to get one. Need a gap test to see if it’s really worth it

D

Deleted member 18588

You're not missing anything.

14 clubs is the maximum, not a target.

Personally I have rarely carried 14, generally 12 and have found some of my most enjoyable golf to have been with a half set of 7 or 8 clubs.

The pros are consistent with their yardage we club golfers are not and as a result often our club selection is reactive rather than the proactive approach of the professional.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You're not missing anything.

14 clubs is the maximum, not a target.

Personally I have rarely carried 14, generally 12 and have found some of my most enjoyable golf to have been with a half set of 7 or 8 clubs.

The pros are consistent with their yardage we club golfers are not and as a result often our club selection is reactive rather than the proactive approach of the professional.

Agree with this. I have 12 clubs. When I had more it caused me problems as I tried to use the clubs I can’t hit. Driver, heavenwood (7 wood with 3 wood length shaft) Then 5 iron up.
Driver 230-250
Heavenwood around 200
5 iron 170-180

So 180 plus into the green I don’t have clubs but when I did it caused me more trouble as hardly ever hit green and often went for hero shot only to fail miserably. Better for me to put it in a position and leave a pitch. 20 yards short of the green on the fairway is a lot better than in the drink.

If it works for you then it works.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Thanks for the responses, agree with many of the posters, pointless buying a club for the sake of it just to fill a space. I take MrC's comment about laying up to a favourite yardage rather than going all out with a hero shot with a club that might not reach anyway.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Driver, 3 wood, 4 hydrid, 5-PW, 48,54,60 wedges and putter.

Can anyone suggest what I am missing?

I have almost exactly the same. No real plans to add a 14th.

Perhaps there's a case for another long iron or hybrid - but my feeling is that from that range I'm going to hit very few greens anyway, so no need to add in an extra decision to potentially get wrong or not commit to.

I also find my 4 hybrid doesn't go that high, so I don't feel it's a struggle to keep them under wind if I need to. Had an unbelievable night this week with the 4 hybrid, playing 3 great and true shots on 3 of the longer holes to set up easy 5s (2 bogeys and a par) off very average drives.

Maybe if I have a few weeks of hitting the 4H 200 yards and straight... I might get greedy and want a 215 and straight club.