It's only a game

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all.

Had my first qualifier medal of the year on Good Friday and all I can say is I had an absolute mare of a day. In no particular order I had the shanks, the fats, the thins, I couldn’t putt to save my life, the Driver was all over the shop. You name it, I had it.

I progressively got angrier and angrier with myself as the round went on and by the 15th tee the clubs were going on ‘e-bay’ and I was taking up lawn bowls. It was at this point (from a distance I may add) that my playing partner says to me ‘look on the bright side mate, however badly you’re playing there’s a million people out there who’d give their right arm to be out here doing what you’re doing, children in hospital wards etc etc’. I thought to myself ‘he’s absolutely right. Why on earth am I getting so wound up over something that really in the whole scheme of things isn’t all that significant and is supposed to be enjoyable. I'm not a pro, my livelihood doesn't depend on playing well' So I don’t play to my handicap one week, so what. What’s the worst that would come out of my day ?? The handicap goes up 0.1, not really a big deal.

With my new found outlook on the game I finished Par, Par, Par, Par.

Just thought I’d share that with you all.

Get out there and give it your all. If you play well then great, if not it’s really not the end of the world. There’s always next week.

Most of all enjoy your golf ;-)

DHM.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I like the attitude! Sometimes can be easier said than done (perhaps if your partner had said that to you in the middle of your bad patch you might have reacted differently?) but is definitely something to aim for.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
An interesting approach but as hard as I try its difficult to accept that golf is just a game. I always want to improve and playing badly on the weekend leaves me in a bad mood until at least Tuesday!

Incidentally I played in a Texas scramble on Mon (just a friendly Easter event) and we shot 59 gross- has to be one of the most fun formats!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always want to improve and playing badly on the weekend leaves me in a bad mood until at least Tuesday!

I used to feel like this until I worked on the "Law of Averages" principle. I play off 9 and reckon that if I shoot an 87 one weekend then I'm bound to score a 73 sometime later in the year. Usually works out too. Mad game !!

And Texas Scrambles don't half make you realise which parts of your game are dire. I've realised my chipping handicap is around 32. Couldn't hit a green with a chip if my life depended on it! What fun that is!