It should be illegal.............

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is my webcam on!!

Actually came to office from the club, so golf shorts/polo and deck shoes today... with no socks :eek:
edit: but after googling espadrilles i guess they could be classed as those!
Same here, though working from Home today, only time i wear sock now days is on the golf course... white ones;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

And miles and miles of cycle paths that the lycra brigade are too good to use.
Get over it. The Highway Code advises cyclists to ride 2 abreast. Do you know why? It's to prevent moronic, impatient car drivers from trying to squeeze past when there is oncoming traffic. I had a close call with a Range Rover yesterday that pulled out round a cyclist and nearly hit me head on because the cretin was too stupid to wait 5 seconds.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Assuming you wear white or light coloured shoes in the summer with shorts, do you think black socks is a good look?
Who gives a toss? I'm there to play golf not strut down a catwalk. My summer shoes are white with a lot of black detailing, since you asked. Often my sock of choice is the low ankle sock, the top of which is only about a centimetre above the shoe.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's your point?
My point is that there are times when walkers would walk on roads, not pavements, in answer to your statement. It backs up the post by Bobmac which highlights how annoyed cyclists would be if walkers blocked the road by remaining en masse instead of walking in single file and allow the faster cyclists to pass. The analogy is pretty clear. If you are on the road and slower than the other methods of transportation then go single file to allow those vehicles, whether cyclists or cars, to get past. Then move back to being 2, 3 or 4 abreast. It is about being considerate.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who gives a toss? I'm there to play golf not strut down a catwalk. My summer shoes are white with a lot of black detailing, since you asked. Often my sock of choice is the low ankle sock, the top of which is only about a centimetre above the shoe.
Our club rules state "white socks must be worn with shorts".
I dont think thats much to ask.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My point is that there are times when walkers would walk on roads, not pavements, in answer to your statement. It backs up the post by Bobmac which highlights how annoyed cyclists would be if walkers blocked the road by remaining en masse instead of walking in single file and allow the faster cyclists to pass. The analogy is pretty clear. If you are on the road and slower than the other methods of transportation then go single file to allow those vehicles, whether cyclists or cars, to get past. Then move back to being 2, 3 or 4 abreast. It is about being considerate.
To be fair though, the groups all riding more than single, en masse would be club riders on a training ride, so a doubt many if any other cyclist's would be overtaking them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you have mixed up my point. Bobmacs point was would cyclists like walkers holding them up in the same way that 3 a breast cyclists hold motorists up. Not cyclists holding other cyclists up.

I am not at all anti cyclist. I am anti inconsiderate road users whether on two or 4 wheels, or 2 legs for that matter. I drive on country roads every day and pass cyclists all the time. I give them plenty of space, share a wave (genuinely a wave, nothing else) and aim to make everyone safe. I sometimes come across groups of cyclists. The best ones slip into single file on the country roads, let the cars pass and then move back out. Brilliant. The others that just fill the road, 3 abreast and happily leave you crawling along the road, I have no time for. Same as I feel about dangerous or inconsiderate car drivers. It is about consideration.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sorry I still don't get your point. If you are walking on a country lane then you should also be walking on the right hand side ie. towards the oncoming traffic so you are unlikely to hold up any cyclists as they will be on the other side of the road. And if by chance you did hold them up then I'm pretty sure most would slow down, wait till it's clear then go round leaving plenty of room because from my experience cyclists are far more tolerant than drivers.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be fair though, the groups all riding more than single, en masse would be club riders on a training ride, so a doubt many if any other cyclist's would be overtaking them.

I think you have mixed up my point. Bobmacs point was would cyclists like walkers holding them up in the same way that 3 a breast cyclists hold motorists up. Not cyclists holding other cyclists up.

I am not at all anti cyclist. I am anti inconsiderate road users whether on two or 4 wheels, or 2 legs for that matter. I drive on country roads every day and pass cyclists all the time. I give them plenty of space, share a wave (genuinely a wave, nothing else) and aim to make everyone safe. I sometimes come across groups of cyclists. The best ones slip into single file on the country roads, let the cars pass and then move back out. Brilliant. The others that just fill the road, 3 abreast and happily leave you crawling along the road, I have no time for. Same as I feel about dangerous or inconsiderate car drivers. It is about consideration.
Same.

Often seem like a social thing as much as anything when they're 3 abreast - rather than overtaking each other.

Time and a place for it I'd have thought and also a time and place to be in single file (eg when motorists are stuck behind or they're on country lanes with a very real risk of getting wiped out by motorists approaching too fast or wide whilst they're in the middle of the road!)

Seems to be a huge explosion in popularity the last few years, maybe inexperience/ignorance or feeling of invicibility. Irritating and dangerous to themselves though.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You don't think it's too much to ask to actually mandate what colour socks an adult human being should wear?? The things some golfers accept as normal are actually insane. :LOL:
I don't understand why you have a problem with it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Same.

Often seem like a social thing as much as anything when they're 3 abreast - rather than overtaking each other.

Time and a place for it I'd have thought and also a time and place to be in single file (eg when motorists are stuck behind or they're on country lanes with a very real risk of getting wiped out by motorists approaching too fast or wide whilst they're in the middle of the road!)

Seems to be a huge explosion in popularity the last few years, maybe inexperience/ignorance or feeling of invicibility. Irritating and dangerous to themselves though.
If you have a group of say 8 riders and they are riding in 2 lines 4 abreast it is actually easier on a narrow road to get past them than if they were riding single file in a line of 8 riders. You'd need a much larger gap to get past them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You don't think it's too much to ask to actually mandate what colour socks an adult human being should wear?? The things some golfers accept as normal are actually insane. :LOL:
Nope I dont, thems the rules so have no problem. Same as wearing jeans on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why you have a problem with it.
Really?? Well I can't understand how you would have a problem with someone wearing black socks! They're only socks. They serve a practical purpose of lining your feet against your shoes, that is it.

Nope I dont, thems the rules so have no problem. Same as wearing jeans on the course.
How is the colour of your socks the same as wearing jeans? :ROFLMAO: It just isn't. At all. What about Bubba Watson wearing a green or pink glove as he does? Should that be 'illegal'? That's more akin to someone wearing black or grey or blue socks.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not really. Needs to be some level of standards and if that's where the club draw the line then it should be respected regardless of personal opinion