Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

Is your club Charging Fees for the time the course will be closed?

• Yes

Votes: 95 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • Not Decided

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rather than start a new thread, thought I’d revisit this one.
The expectation at my place is that the membership will renew on 1st May, full fees, as always. There is no real mention of a discount.
I’m conflicted by this. I get my ‘responsibilities’ as a member, I think describing me as a part owner is pushing it. If I was a part owner, I would have a direct input into the big decisions.
However, the club, have furloughed staff, outsourced catering etc and have access to EGU funds. They can offset any loss by doing this, but expect the members to pay full fees.
it doesn’t feel to me like they are sharing the burden at all.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Theres no doubt it can be a dilemma for some. It's a large chunk of cash with plenty of uncertainty
Others won't have thought twice
Others will walk away.
What all clubs need to do, or have done, is clarify what, if any, rebates, refunds, extended memberships etc etc they are willing and able to do or at the very least confirm that those things will be explored when things return to some semblance of normality.
My club haven't promised anything but have agreed to look at what they can do when this is over, be that an extension to the year or a freeze on subs.
Some clubs seem to have gone a little overboard on gestures....I read last week that anyone paying their subs at this particular club before 30 April would get next year free....2 years for the price of 1....how can that make economic sense? My last club are giving so much away it wouldn't surprise me if they're not around in a couple of years
Clubs can only give back if it's not going to leave them in the mire. But it's a financial choice both ways.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf clubs don't survive on just "Membership fees" we are extremely reliant on bar income, green fees and societies .
By reducing our overheads to the bare minimum we are looking at costs of £20K+ every month

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf clubs don't survive on just "Membership fees" we are extremely reliant on bar income, green fees and societies .
By reducing our overheads to the bare minimum we are looking at costs of £20K+ every month
But that’s the same for all businesses, not many others are asking their ‘customers’ to pay for a service they aren’t getting. I appreciate the subtleties around ‘membership’ but the reality is just the same.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that’s the same for all businesses, not many others are asking their ‘customers’ to pay for a service they aren’t getting. I appreciate the subtleties around ‘membership’ but the reality is just the same.
Yes but no as our biggest asset is a living organism which needs maintaining and we are about to enter into it's biggest growth pattern of the year . We could leave it but it'll take time and expensive to bring it back to the levels that paying members expect to play off . Same will be true for all turf based businesses

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes but no as our biggest asset is a living organism which needs maintaining and we are about to enter into it's biggest growth pattern of the year . We could leave it but it'll take time and expensive to bring it back to the levels that paying members expect to play off . Same will be true for all turf based businesses
Like I say, I’m conflicted. Joint owner, full liability when it suits, not when the ‘board’ decide fairly fundamental policy

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like I say, I’m conflicted. Joint owner, full liability when it suits, not when the ‘board’ decide fairly fundamental policy
Doesn't that come down to how most golf clubs are run , in that the membership appoint Directors and committee members at AGM's and by such appointments they are then in place to run the club's affairs .
I'm on the Board and in my committee we can have 3-4 differing opinions on a single subject out of the 6 members who serve on it . Yes we do listen to members views and opinions but we realistically cant hear everyone as we'd never get anything done.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't that come down to how most golf clubs are run , in that the membership appoint Directors and committee members at AGM's and by such appointments they are then in place to run the club's affairs .
I'm on the Board and in my committee we can have 3-4 differing opinions on a single subject out of the 6 members who serve on it . Yes we do listen to members views and opinions but we realistically cant hear everyone as we'd never get anything done.
For the day to day running, yes. If you make fundamental decisions like; sacking the secretary, outsourcing the catering, replacing the pro without consulting the ‘joint owner’s’ then you can’t complain when they feel disenfranchised, and feel like the board are taking the Mickey by saying ‘we’re all in it together!’
I made my one and only suggestion/complaint last September, after 8 years of membership. I used the ‘book’ as per the appropriate method....I’ve yet to receive a response. It should be a 2 way street

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the day to day running, yes. If you make fundamental decisions like; sacking the secretary, outsourcing the catering, replacing the pro without consulting the ‘joint owner’s’ then you can’t complain when they feel disenfranchised, and feel like the board are taking the Mickey by saying ‘we’re all in it together!’
I made my one and only suggestion/complaint last September, after 8 years of membership. I used the ‘book’ as per the appropriate method....I’ve yet to receive a response. It should be a 2 way street
Oh dear , if I'm right in assuming that's what's happened at your club then the communication does sound bad , but having said that any employment matter needs to be handled carefully and by the Board not by the members.
You do know the one way you'll effect change is to get involved ;)(y)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My club has issued an email saying that as a private member club its difficult to give allowance for the period of shutdown but all members who pay their membership by the 30th of April will be offered compensation for the time lost. This, it says, may not be possible in just one year but they will decide what to offer once they have the necessary facts - I'm quite content with their plan given how difficult its been for golf clubs in recent times

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

You should have written it's with a green Sharpie Rod, they'd take notice then ??

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh dear , if I'm right in assuming that's what's happened at your club then the communication does sound bad , but having said that any employment matter needs to be handled carefully and by the Board not by the members.
You do know the one way you'll effect change is to get involved ;)(y)
One of my mates showed interest, but was put off when he found the meetings happen at 2.30pm on a Tuesday! I’ve got another 20 years to serve on my apprenticeship. It is true though, that though not perfect, it’s still my club. This thread has proved cathartic, I’ll probably just suck it up & pay up! I’ll start my campaign for chairman 2040 as soon as possible ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Received this over the weekend

Dear Member
During this corona virus crisis we have worked hard at the club to reduce our overheads in a number of ways through cancelling various contracts and where necessary
furloughed staff in all departments as well as suspended our franchisee payments. We have contacted our landlord regarding the rental payments and are seeking support from
our bankers. We wait to hear what support they both can offer. In addition we are taking advantage of the business rate holiday announced by HM Government.

We are a members club, together enjoying the course and our clubhouse funding our running costs through our annual subscriptions. When we set our annual budget and
subscription levels, we do so taking into account that we rely on a portion of income from societies, green fees and profits from bar trading. Without that additional income, the
need to reduce overheads becomes even more pressing whilst relying more than ever on the continued support of our members.

As I said in my last communication the green staff continue with essential maintenance on the course and that work will continue as well as maintaining the clubhouse so that we
are in a position to reopen quickly once restrictions are lifted. As we come into what would be our peak season for visitors and societies, we are confident that we have sufficient funds to see us through the months ahead. In light of the announcements coming from Government daily briefings it is too early to tell how long the current restrictions will be in place for, nor what effect the virus will have on our membership numbers and subscription income in the future. As a result, at this time we cannot predict the eventual financial impact the closure will have on the club or future investment plans.

A small number of you have asked about potential subscription refunds, extensions into next year’s golfing season or suspending direct debit payments as a result of not having any golf due to our forced closure to comply with Government guidelines during the Covid-19 crisis. Any subscription rebate would reduce our income and impact the operational budget for the current membership year. It would also have a marked effect on future capital expenditure projects and delay work identified as necessary to improve drainage to the 15th/16th fairways following the wettest winter for many years. After taking all these matters into account, the Directors feel it is too early to consider any form of subscription concession at this time. However, we will keep this under review as this crisis evolves and we understand the level of support from our Landlords at the racecourse and other organisations.

Best wishes

So clearly no plans at this stage to do anything. I'll be interested to see how that affects renewals and how many leave with no incentive on offer at this time. I guess the biggest factor is when we get back out. Sooner rather than later and we'll hopefully keep the majority. Drag it out and I can see some looking for pastures new and a cheaper option

D

Deleted member 1740

There's a fine line between keeping the membership happy and keeping the books balanced.

As a members club i think everyone needs to accept some short term loss, financial or lack of playing time.

Hopefully you dont lose too many members and you could organise a big GM day at Royal Ascot to try and inject some much needed funds Homer.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Dear Member
During this corona virus crisis we have worked hard at the club to reduce our overheads in a number of ways through cancelling various contracts and where necessary
furloughed staff in all departments as well as suspended our franchisee payments. We have contacted our landlord regarding the rental payments and are seeking support from
our bankers. We wait to hear what support they both can offer. In addition we are taking advantage of the business rate holiday announced by HM Government.

We are a members club, together enjoying the course and our clubhouse funding our running costs through our annual subscriptions. When we set our annual budget and
subscription levels, we do so taking into account that we rely on a portion of income from societies, green fees and profits from bar trading. Without that additional income, the
need to reduce overheads becomes even more pressing whilst relying more than ever on the continued support of our members.

As I said in my last communication the green staff continue with essential maintenance on the course and that work will continue as well as maintaining the clubhouse so that we
are in a position to reopen quickly once restrictions are lifted. As we come into what would be our peak season for visitors and societies, we are confident that we have sufficient funds to see us through the months ahead. In light of the announcements coming from Government daily briefings it is too early to tell how long the current restrictions will be in place for, nor what effect the virus will have on our membership numbers and subscription income in the future. As a result, at this time we cannot predict the eventual financial impact the closure will have on the club or future investment plans.

A small number of you have asked about potential subscription refunds, extensions into next year’s golfing season or suspending direct debit payments as a result of not having any golf due to our forced closure to comply with Government guidelines during the Covid-19 crisis. Any subscription rebate would reduce our income and impact the operational budget for the current membership year. It would also have a marked effect on future capital expenditure projects and delay work identified as necessary to improve drainage to the 15th/16th fairways following the wettest winter for many years. After taking all these matters into account, the Directors feel it is too early to consider any form of subscription concession at this time. However, we will keep this under review as this crisis evolves and we understand the level of support from our Landlords at the racecourse and other organisations.

Best wishes

So clearly no plans at this stage to do anything. I'll be interested to see how that affects renewals and how many leave with no incentive on offer at this time. I guess the biggest factor is when we get back out. Sooner rather than later and we'll hopefully keep the majority. Drag it out and I can see some looking for pastures new and a cheaper option
You could ask that the works be delayed to maintain the membership.. short term solution for long term future. As a member you have the right to propose this.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Dear Member

Best wishes

who owns the land Homie and any idea what the rent is?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I miss the breakfast stack
2xtoast (b or W), 2 sausages cut in half and laid on the toast, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 slices of black pudding ( who knew that was so delicious??), 2 fried eggs on top ..
and a pint of Guinness