Is this acceptable?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In match last night we searched for each other’s ball when it was in the rough. He found mine once, I found his three times, twice when right close to the 3mins. If I hadn’t found it he’d most probably have had to accept it was lost. I would always look for an opponents ball, and expect his help looking for mine. I dont recall an occasion when that didn’t happen so I don’t know how I’d feel.

We gave each other putts of less than 18” but putted anything longer. To the last. He had an 18”-20” to win the match. I thought hard about giving him it but as that would be conceding the match I left him to putt it. He horseshoed out. And I won on the 19th.

This^^

I'd normally give short putts, but if it's for the match, forget it. You're putting ...

I normal can avoid being drawn into mind games. I think it would be courteous of my oppo to help looking for my ball, but if they don't, then so be it. I'll still look for theirs - mainly in the hope of finding it somewhere nasty.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Like I said earlier, I'm not bothered about not conceding short putts, but it did get farcical, they were making us putt from inside a foot. I would normally give anything within 3 feet, but we stopped doing so, and quite ironically, they missed two very short putts late on which swung the match :D

Really? I’d love to play against you!!

Seriously, though, not helping look for an opponent’s ball is about as poor as it gets. Really stinks, that does, and I’d have been equally unhappy.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You should never get the hump about being asked to putt out. If you think that it should be a gimmie, then you aren't going to miss it - are you??

And if you do miss it then your opponent was right in not giving it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Some of you lot are a little bit precious.
It’s match play, your playing your opponents as well as playing the course.
If your being rattled by a little gamesmanship I would suggest match play isn’t for you.

I’ve said this when match play has been discussed on here before.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In a pairs competition I wouldn't be rushing over to help them look for a ball that's heading for a fairway on an adjective hole. Theres two of them to watch the flight then go find it.

If they hit it into obvious jungle and I have a line I will wander over and help once I've found my ball.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’d help looking for a ball, never thought otherwise. As for gimmies, its part and parcel of match play. Give some, then don’t give some. You’re testing their mettle as well as their playing ability. Pretty certain there’s been articles on match play in the magazines which suggest giving some putts then not giving some putts. Never bothers me if a putt isn’t given, nor if I don’t give them.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in a mixed doubles comp a few years back. She was lovely, he was a complete and utter tit. Wasn’t bothered about looking for my Pps ball. Yet I looked for his partners ball a few times. There were other things that he did during the round that got right under my skin. For a golfer that had played for over 20 years I thought his etiquette stunk. The thing is, his partner, she was new to golf and had lessons, gear etc and was very good for a novice but by his words. “ I am showing her the ropes on the course”. I shudder to think how she is now if she followed his advice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whatever they dish out...dish it back to them..
Giving 3 footers is a tad generous in my eyes but I'd always help look for a ball, even if I'm not trying too hard;)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Never had any issues with anyone I’ve played with off here, and always had a laugh in the 19th after (y)

I don’t expect anybody to look for mine either, because I can’t be bothered too. I have quick cursory rummage but if it’s not immediately visible I just blob the hole no issues.
I also ensure that they play their ball first as to not hold up play.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whatever they dish out...dish it back to them..
Giving 3 footers is a tad generous in my eyes but I'd always help look for a ball, even if I'm not trying too hard;)

I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago. He was helping an opponent look for his ball and was 99% certain that he saw his opponent drop an identical ball. He never said anything. There’s more to it. But I would digress.
I know some folk are not bothered about helping an opponent look for there lost ball but sometimes it has its advantages even if your not looking hard.?
I mentioned this the other day about how some folk don’t like certain etiquettes within golf. I played in a three man team today and helped my team mates look for lost balls, I would do the same when playing against someone. I cannot switch on and off when it comes to looking for balls.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I was talking to a guy a few weeks ago. He was helping an opponent look for his ball and was 99% certain that he saw his opponent drop an identical ball. He never said anything. There’s more to it. But I would digress.
I know some folk are not bothered about helping an opponent look for there lost ball but sometimes it has its advantages even if your not looking hard.?
I mentioned this the other day about how some folk don’t like certain etiquettes within golf. I played in a three man team today and helped my team mates look for lost balls, I would do the same when playing against someone. I cannot switch on and off when it comes to looking for balls.

I’m with you Tash. I get the fact that match play is a bit more cut throat, but not helping an opponent look for a ball is just bad manners. I guess I’m just old fashioned like that.

D

Deleted member 3432

I always look for an opponents ball, it's the right thing to do and I like to get a look at how it's sitting so I have a good idea of how it's going to come out. Nothing worse than thinking he's in trouble only to get lucky with a lie and play a worldie you're not expecting.

As for gimmies you should be expecting to be asked to hole everything.