Is this a permissible form of practice during lockdown?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The local council have a pitch n putt course on the seafront. It closes down for the winter after the October half term holidays. It's not fenced off, and is used regularly by dog walkers etc.

Is there anything to stop me going down there on my own and hitting a bag of balls? It seems like a legitimate form of outdoor exercise to me!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So is playing on a golf course but we can't do that.
My view is that if you can't go to your club and use the putting green for chipping practice then you can't use a pitch'n'putt for, essentially, the same thing.

Ssshank

Visit site
The local council have a pitch n putt course on the seafront. It closes down for the winter after the October half term holidays. It's not fenced off, and is used regularly by dog walkers etc.

Is there anything to stop me going down there on my own and hitting a bag of balls? It seems like a legitimate form of outdoor exercise to me!

The act of golfing isn't prohibited but courses/driving ranges are closed.

If it was a public space you can, but as it is a golf course if someone sees you and reports you, you may get in trouble though would only be a warning initially.

So you could keep risking it until warned, that's what I would do but I have no golf courses near me and it would be too risky driving and trespassing which is what it essentially is now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Knowing that stretch not the safest I would think, too many walkers, dog walkers etc. Find an empty stretch of beach, an empty field and practice there instead

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's not permissible as it's at a facility. It wouldn't be worth the fine to check it out in my opinion... hit some balls into a net or in an empty field?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The act of golfing isn't prohibited but courses/driving ranges are closed.

If it was a public space you can, but as it is a golf course if someone sees you and reports you, you may get in trouble though would only be a warning initially.

So you could keep risking it until warned, that's what I would do but I have no golf courses near me and it would be too risky driving and trespassing which is what it essentially is now.

yes, it would only be a matter of time before someone phoned the police to complain, however whether they would bother to send someone out is a different question.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would probably find that playing on the course when it is closed (all of the time not just now) is not allowed under some sort of Bye Law and it could end up with you being fined by the council.

All recreation grounds where I live have bye laws which ban golf.

Is there a bye law which bans golf on the beach?

Ssshank

Visit site
yes, it would only be a matter of time before someone phoned the police to complain, however whether they would bother to send someone out is a different question.

More than likely they would depending on the volume of complaints.

The police presence near me has been far greater than usual.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have mile upon mile of beaches up here, not just little coves. If you keep going long enough you will find a quiet spot to set up. Not to hit long irons but fine for short game stuff. Check the tides first though :D

One thing I learnt from practicing on a beach is to make sure to clean any clubs used soon and as thoroughly as possible, the salt eats away the chrome.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It would hard to find an open space open enough with no walkers around....a tough ask at the moment.

true, was on the beach with the dog yesterday, it was packed, busiest I've seen it since high summer, even though the weather was rubbish.

went down with him at 7.30 this morning, not as busy, but still plenty around, so early morning practice might not work either :rolleyes:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
So we are allowed to hit golf balls in an open space, as long as it's not an actual golf course?

The lockdown rules don't prohibit golf, they just force courses and ranges to close. If you can find somewhere else to play then that's fine as far as the lockdown rules go. However there may be other bye-laws affecting whatever space you choose, be that a park or beach or whatever. If you find a friendly farmer with a big enough field then go for it, you're not breaking any rules.

This is my opinion of the rules as I understand them, but I'm not a lawyer!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Have you got personal liability insurance, because I think you would need it in case you did hit someone.

Would that matter though? I would've thought any golf insurance worth a dam wont actually cover golf shots that hit someone that are not played on a designated course etc