Is this a DQ

HerbieM

Visit site
Queried with local golf union who originally backed the decision saying rule 20.1b did not apply as the issue occurred before the match started not ‘during’ the round.

On pressing again they have sent it to the R&A for a decision.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like your opponents may have 'friends' on the Committee..... OR.... they just feel they are required to take some sort of directive decision on the matter rather than just 'let it be'.
I agree that folk generally are reluctant to get involved in Club's Committee but very keen to advise what they should do & pretty narked when that's pointed out to them.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not my match but get the feeling a decision was reached then a hunt for a rule to pin it on took place.
Seems to me they really could do with getting this right as it appears they may not have, clearly advised players of the playing conditions.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Queried with local golf union who originally backed the decision saying rule 20.1b did not apply as the issue occurred before the match started not ‘during’ the round.

On pressing again they have sent it to the R&A for a decision.

Let's hope they have worded the question clearly - it's easy to lose sight of the underlying issue once these things get going!

Q. Players are unsure of the handicap allowance applicable in a club 4BBB match play round. They all agree prior to play to use full difference allowance.
The match is played and won by pair A
Subsequent to completion of the match pair B establish that it should have been played to 90% of the difference and take it to the committee.
The difference in allowance would not have affected the result of any hole played, or the match.
How should the committee rule?

A. The result of the match stands as played.

Reasons -
1. There's no timely notification of a pending claim under 20 1b (2)
2. 1.3b isn't applicable. All of the players would have to know the correct basis for the handicap allowance to agree to use a different one.

badgergm

Visit site
What about the point made earlier that not a Rule of Golf. so the 'agreement' rule not applicable?

I find that the handicap allowance often isn't certain to people. Should be clearly marked on all applicable draw sheets. Aside from that though, its not difficult to check on a phone.....

HerbieM

Visit site
It was an evening match and the clubhouse is a 10 minute walk back up the hill. More could have been done to check probably but wasn’t so they ended up where they are.

HerbieM

Visit site
R&A confirmed committee was wrong and result should have stood. They have also said:

“now that the committee have ruled on the matter that ruling will stand”

The committee can therefore ignore the rules of golf entirely and the R&A will support them over the game itself, I mistakenly thought that it was a game/sport where integrity of the game and those involved was the most important factor, clearly not and very surprised. There is time to correct the mistake but they cannot/do not have to correct it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The R&A makes rules. It cannot enforce clubs or anyone else to follow them. It can tell a club or competition committee what the rules say but it is up to the club/committee to act as they please in relation their own competition(s).

What sanction could the R&A apply? The R&A operates with consent, it has no control.
The R&A try to ensure the rules can be applied with integrity but it is up to the club/committee/player to do so.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The R&A makes rules. It cannot enforce clubs or anyone else to follow them. It can tell a club or competition committee what the rules say but it is up to the club/committee to act as they please in relation their own competition(s).

What sanction could the R&A apply? The R&A operates with consent, it has no control.
The R&A try to ensure the rules can be applied with integrity but it is up to the club/committee/player to do so.

I guess in receiving a reply from the R& A a sensible Committee will learn and operate correctly in future decision making.

HerbieM

Visit site
I get that point apart from the contradiction that the R&A are advising them to uphold a wrong decision, I assume that the committee would therefore be fully entitled to correct the wrong decision and ignore the R&A to maintain the committees integrity.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The R&A are only telling them that having made the (wrong) decision, the rules say it is too late to change it.

But yes. Ultimately, the committee are in charge.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
R&A confirmed committee was wrong and result should have stood. They have also said:

“now that the committee have ruled on the matter that ruling will stand”

The committee can therefore ignore the rules of golf entirely and the R&A will support them over the game itself, I mistakenly thought that it was a game/sport where integrity of the game and those involved was the most important factor, clearly not and very surprised. There is time to correct the mistake but they cannot/do not have to correct it.

Without the full timelines it's not possible to make any valid assessment of whether the committee is in a position to correct the mistake in a timely manner.

The relevant rules are 20.2 b and d, and committee procedures.

There is also a huge difference between a committee making a wrong decision and a committee referring a decision. In this thread I had understood that the former was the case, initially supported by the local GU, and that the latter subsequently decided to refer the question to the R&A rather than the committee referring their decision.

It's definitely not a great situation, but for those of us used to dealing with such things via social media after the event they happen.

Finally, in many ways I agree with your conclusion that the committee's out in this situation would be to be seen to put their hands up and go out of their way to undo the impact of the error if at all possible. They may have decided that they simply couldn't.

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
That's one of the reasons I joined a club without a committee, no one is more important than the other person and you can park in any parking bay!!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's one of the reasons I joined a club without a committee, no one is more important than the other person and you can park in any parking bay!!

If you joined such a club, it could not be an affiliated club and would not be able to award and administer official handicaps.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you joined such a club, it could not be an affiliated club and would not be able to award and administer official handicaps.
Sorry but why ? Loads of pay and play clubs without Committees ads affiliated and have Handicaps - they just have a pro or office staff do the work