Is this a DQ

HerbieM

Visit site
Pairs Match

Both teams turn up in the evening to play an arranged pairs match.

On the tee they disagree as to the handicap allowance being Full or 0.9

The newer members state 0.9

The older members state full

To get the match under way they play on the basis of full handicap.

After the match the team who insisted it was full handicap and lost the match make a complaint to the committee about another matter but it comes to light that there was this disagreement on the first tee.

The shot difference has no effect as the two affected holes were not played (not relevant to the decision anyway)

Committee decided to DQ based on rule 1.3, Agreement to overlook a rule.

My view is that 20.1b applies and the decision on the first tee stands regardless of whether it was correct or not.

None of the 4 players indicated before the round completed that they would seek clarification of the rule.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both 20.1b(1) and 1.3b are clear. Players have to know that a rule applies to a situation and agree not to apply it for there to be a breach.

In any case the handicap allowance is a Term of Competition, not a Rule of Golf.

HerbieM

Visit site
As the Rules of Golf only cover breaches of the Rules not conditions of competition I’m not clear where that leaves the situation. 3.2c seems to apply but again only refers to Rules??

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It looks to me that a DQ was wrong. Whatever the handicaps the result appears to have not affected the proper result as played and once posted was, I believe, the result. As no one agreed to break the rules the result should stand - that's how I see it.

HerbieM

Visit site
I tried to present the case without the emotion shown in the responses but understand the emotion and appreciate the responses.

HerbieM

Visit site
The other matter regarded searching for balls and some tension/testiness during the match. The committee did not make any comment on that so it is now irrelevant.

D

Deleted member 25172

The other matter regarded searching for balls and some tension/testiness during the match. The committee did not make any comment on that so it is now irrelevant.

Searching for balls you said? Regarding the time of the search? Well, if that’s the case then you’re in for a treat as we have a thread on here about just that which has gone on for about 30 pages or so. Or just over 3 minutes if you so like.
😀😀😀

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jumped up committees are normally there because know one else will stand for committee.

sorry but in the clubs ive been in thats utter rubbish. too many clubs are far too scared to change so keep voting in the same crowd and their mates and are then complain when nothing changes! and yes I have been a committee member (as a 30 something and 40 something) and am well aware of how hard it is a) to get on the committee in the first place and b) to get things to change in some clubs but if you are prepared to stick your neck out for whats right you can get things done

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
News to me, as said above, no one wants on a committee that I know of, absolutely thankless task and nothing but grief from the "know it alls"

not all clubs are the same obviously, last 2 ive been at have had pretty strong cliques who try to keep them and their mates on the committees

having done a couple of stints (not to mention watch my dad be captain at 2 diff clubs) cant argue with the last statement at all!

HerbieM

Visit site
I’m on a committee at a golf club but not the committee involved in this decision. Enjoyed the experience and it’s taught me a lot about the game, administration and the rules. Far and away the most insightful aspect is that the head green keeper attends the meetings and his updates have really let me understand more about why the course is how it is from season to season, the subtle things that seem obvious when explained but you would barely notice and how important they are. I’d recommend it to anyone but obviously experience from club to club might be different.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The Committee erred - should have let the results stand as played.
BTW - who did they DQ, presumably both sides?