Is the golf playing season over?

albie999

Visit site
I try to play in whatever the weather, frozen greens, is hard to stop the ball though lol ... was supposed to be playing at local course on Thursday (Tredegar park) as day off work, but thankfully managed to swap my day to tomorrow, so 8.16am tee off time for, when the sun will be shining ..... will play all weather, but do still prefer sunny, dry days

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely noticed a trend in recent years of early summer months being decent, dry weather - but the 'rainy season' starting end of July and into August.

Does seem to be a tropical element when you think of Florida having a thunder storm every afternoon from the end of June onwards through to the end of the summer. Hence why the Florida swing is generally March and they never host a US Open down there.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Definitely noticed a trend in recent years of early summer months being decent, dry weather - but the 'rainy season' starting end of July and into August.

Does seem to be a tropical element when you think of Florida having a thunder storm every afternoon from the end of June onwards through to the end of the summer. Hence why the Florida swing is generally March and they never host a US Open down there.
Scotland’s summer - last week in May and first two weeks in June ?

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like a winter's day today :(

Was the same out Sunday and placement on fairways. Wet under foot.

Just hope there is a dry spell again so I can get a few more rounds in.

Parkland golf in the winter is not enjoyable. I stopped doing it a few years ago and my game if anything is better for it.

I tend to travel a odd day here and there to links courses in the off season. Just wait for a cold dry day and it's very enjoyable. Better than getting soaked in a muddy parkland course that's for sure

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Like a winter's day today :(

Was the same out Sunday and placement on fairways. Wet under foot.

Just hope there is a dry spell again so I can get a few more rounds in.

Parkland golf in the winter is not enjoyable. I stopped doing it a few years ago and my game if anything is better for it.

I tend to travel a odd day here and there to links courses in the off season. Just wait for a cold dry day and it's very enjoyable. Better than getting soaked in a muddy parkland course that's for sure
There’s the answer - move to the coast, golf every day you want to ⛳

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If i'm breathing and able to move, there's no problem with playing no matter what the weather is doing.
Lifes too short, and you're a long time dead:)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Hope not .
In past years it’s shown a pattern of nice early in the year.
Very wet in “ summer months”
Then nice weather September/ October.
Maybe we need to adjust more to our weather.
Last October was the worst I can ever remember in terms of rain :(

D

Deleted member 18588

Absolutely no interest in winter golf.
Season finishes to coincide with the November meeting at Cheltenham and restarts the week before the Festival.
I have very nice Galvin Green waterproofs, now 5 years old, and they have been worn four times max.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great deals through the winter here on links courses. Carnoustie, St Andrews etc are usually frost free and full greens albeit on winter mats. (Although that is still nine weeks away)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The only time I won't play are frozen greens (farcical) or if we are on temps (usually as a result of frost/ice but only once last year for a very hard and deep frost). When its like that I'd rather hit a range or practice ground and work on my swing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
nope, got a busy month of golf in Sept, few club comps including clun champs, northern Counties cup and a jolly, then a couple of comps in Oct

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, once September rolls around most casual golfers put the clubs away, sometimes late August weather can bring that date forward. I try to hold off just in case September has a nice warm and dry spell which can happen.

Once mid September comes the clubs go away apart from my par 3 set, which I still use any dry and mild Sunday morning.

From then it’s some time off then range work starts in Feb before The weather improves and golf begins again in May.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
September is often one of the warmest months of the year. I know this because my birthday is in early Sept and it often sticks in my mind how nice the weather still is. Last couple of years even October and November were mild. We had a lot of rain in December last year which shut some of the courses, but the only really cold months are January and February.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a snowflakes chance in hell is it over

Id play every week of the year .. long as it's not too raining .. light rain is ok

Some beautiful days in the winter for golf