Is Russia preparing for confrontation

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm not going to say preparing for war as I know first hand that all countries prepare themselves for the "what if" scenarios and we all have a constant state of readiness and immediate action planned, but, when Russian subs are spotted in our waters and mainly in areas where key cables and pipelines are laid, which if severed, could have a key part to play in our communications, should we be overly concerned when a Russian sub is spotted too close to comfort?

I'm personally aware of Russian subs being spotted before in Scottish and Irish waters both in the 70's & 80's but in the current climate isn't it pushing the boundaries a little far?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-348969...=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not going to say preparing for war as I know first hand that all countries prepare themselves for the "what if" scenarios and we all have a constant state of readiness and immediate action planned, but, when Russian subs are spotted in our waters and mainly in areas where key cables and pipelines are laid, which if severed, could have a key part to play in our communications, should we be overly concerned when a Russian sub is spotted too close to comfort?

I'm personally aware of Russian subs being spotted before in Scottish and Irish waters both in the 70's & 80's but in the current climate isn't it pushing the boundaries a little far?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-348969...=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

Let us hope the do not do anything until 2023/5 when we will have our aircraft carriers, fighter planes, air surveillance and additional ground troops fit for purpose.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I have thought that for a while it's like he just wants to fight someone and isn't really to bothered about who that is.

I guess when things aren't great in the country, a war is a good distraction.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
RAF likely to be a major winner in the next SDSR along with SF.

Powers to be seem to forget that nothing can be won without folks on the ground or the fact that SF are recruited from within. Soon to have very little within, are we doomed.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let us hope the do not do anything until 2023/5 when we will have our aircraft carriers, fighter planes, air surveillance and additional ground troops fit for purpose.

We're borrowing the French sub hunters for the 3rd time in 12 months.
Not sure it's confrontation they are after more information about trident?

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's pretty common to find the Ruskies around our waters. They've prevented me from going home to see my family on many occasions due to them wanting to test our response times.

D

Deleted member 15344

And you can't ever forget the importance of air power

It's about time the RAF was the winner in the review - they ripped apart during the last one - all other nations investing in their Air Force whilst the Uk strip it to the bare bones

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I can't believe how much a Tory Government is running down our military services and police forces at a time of increased World tensions. Paying off our national debt will mean nothing if we are taken over by the Russians or Islamic State!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I can't believe how much a Tory Government is running down our military services and police forces at a time of increased World tensions. Paying off our national debt will mean nothing if we are taken over by the Russians or Islamic State!

Yes, and think what they will do to the traffic on the roads and the size of the hole on the green if they come to power..:confused:

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes, and think what they will do to the traffic on the roads and the size of the hole on the green if they come to power..:confused:
Not to forget making the Isle of Bute the capital and seat of power in the new republic;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Not that improbable, considering they have much bigger armed forces than we do!
They have had for decades and decades - how many times have they attempted to take us over ?!

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's where Trident (any nuclear deterrent) is the great leveller. Russia will posture to the west because it suits them to show their people how strong they are, but they could never invade or take over a fellow nuclear power. M.A.D.

U

User62651

I think there are numerous Putin targets such as more of Ukraine and Finland that would make much easier targets if he is looking for a scrap.
A retired submariner told me during the cold war they regularly played cat and mouse with russian(soviet) subs right up into the Clyde estuary, joe public don't know the half of what goes on. Subs can never admit to their presence as stealth and being invisible is what its all about, so when trawlers get pulled under etc Navy just say wasn't us when there is no other feasible reason other than a sub.
What'll happen to GM Forum if they do sever our cables, tssk... damn Ruskies.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
And you can't ever forget the importance of air power

It's about time the RAF was the winner in the review - they ripped apart during the last one - all other nations investing in their Air Force whilst the Uk strip it to the bare bones

Agreed but its worthless without an all arms ability.

Gulf War 1 - 6 months of bombardment by RAF.

100 hours of boots on the ground (read tanks crossed the start line) and endex was called.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
It is absolutely nothing extraordinary.

One of the Royal Navy's largest exercises is called BALTOPS and happens to take place in reasonably close proximity to Russia despite them having not been an enemy for over 20 years. What the Russians are doing in our waters is only marginally more provocative than the fact that our wargames continue to hark back to a bygone era of superpower wars rather than deal with the more realistic immediate threat of unconventional warfare.