Is my pro talking cobblers??

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Something my pro mentioned last night whilst we were chatting at the range.

As he, and the good people of his forum pointed out, I have a flat swing plane. He suggested people with this swing plane also tend to stand further away from the ball. This gives you plenty of room to swing the club.

Now. When I set-up with my irons I keep my hands in line/under my chin, he seems to be suggesting for a flat swing plane the hands should be slightly more forward, but not reaching.

Does this sound right? Does your swing plane determine how far you should be standing from the ball and the position of your hands at address??

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert, but logically, I think it makes sense.

If you have a flat swing plane, you're stood further away from the ball at address, to allow yourself room to swing, as you've stated.

If you stood closer, you're body/hips would get in the way and there would be no room to get through the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Does your swing plane determine how far you should be standing from the ball and the position of your hands at address??

Your correct swing plane is dictated by the angle of the shaft in relation to the ground at address.
The nearer you stand to the ball, the more upright the shaft will be and the swing plane. The opposite applies the further away you stand.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is what I had noticed with my own swing, and to able me to hit the ball higher, farther and less 'hooky' I have adjusted where I stand.

I now feel I am more upright and my arms are hanging straight down. I still feel I reach a little with the driver, something I am desperately trying to change. Find myself hitting some wayward ones at the moment.

My 3 wood on the other hand has improved quite a bit.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is what I had noticed with my own swing, and to able me to hit the ball higher, farther and less 'hooky' I have adjusted where I stand.

I now feel I am more upright and my arms are hanging straight down. I still feel I reach a little with the driver, something I am desperately trying to change. Find myself hitting some wayward ones at the moment.

My 3 wood on the other hand has improved quite a bit.

I'm very much the same Tony. My arms hang down naturally from my shoulders, but with my longer clubs (4 iron and woods), they seem to be a little further from my body.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would guess he is suggesting your swingplane is flat, he is not refering to your address plane. You are probably swinging too much inside on the backswing then dropping the club under the address plane in the downswing and hitting very in to out.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its your set up that dictates your swing plain. Mind you thats if you keep online and dont drop your arms. Your hands will be nearer your body with the short irons. Moving farther away as the clubs get longer.