Is it worth joining a GC this year?

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
So this was the year I was going to bite the bullet and join a golf club. Give up cricket and commit to golf. Well COVID19 put paid to that!! Or has it?
Do you think it is worth joining this year if lockdown eases over next month or so (which I feel will happen given what is happening in Europe and Germany in particular).
Or should I wait until this time next year?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So this was the year I was going to bite the bullet and join a golf club. Give up cricket and commit to golf. Well COVID19 put paid to that!! Or has it?
Do you think it is worth joining this year if lockdown eases over next month or so (which I feel will happen given what is happening in Europe and Germany in particular).
Where were you thinking of joining?

Nige991

Visit site
Hi I think if we can get out and play in june maybe then yes definitely join a club.Its a difficult decision if you've been laid off tho like me and set currently 20% down on wages that was my golf money tbh ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only you can decide if you're going to get value for your money
Is it a hard club to get into?
If it's going to be open all through the winter and you're able to play then you can still get good value.
It'll also help the club survive and be there for many more years.

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m a teacher so could conceivably play during each holiday (but don’t forget all my marking ?). That said, I have two young kids (10, 12) which doesn’t make that as easy as that sounds. However, because of all this COVID19 stuff I have decided (reevaluating a lot of things in my life) that I want to introduce both of them to the game and hopefully one or both will take to it. So my membership could potentially become one full and two junior memberships.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m a teacher so could conceivably play during each holiday (but don’t forget all my marking ?). That said, I have two young kids (10, 12) which doesn’t make that as easy as that sounds. However, because of all this COVID19 stuff I have decided (reevaluating a lot of things in my life) that I want to introduce both of them to the game and hopefully one or both will take to it. So my membership could potentially become one full and two junior memberships.
Good news , there wont be a divot in sight :ROFLMAO:

Diamond

Visit site
Look at joining somewhere pro rata as it will/3 cost effective. Otherwise wait till end of autumn and maybe join a top club with cheap winter golf membership.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally I'd be holding off if I wasn't a member anywhere as this is uncharted territory at present and I really don't see an end soon.

I'd be making a list of clubs I would be interested in and see what deals/offers are in place after lockdown.

You're in a strong position I'd suggest.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Coombe Wood. Homer, I know you are a big fan and ex WCGC member. I like the course but the public intrusion for a non confident golfer puts me off joining there.

I get what you're saying and the public can be a real nuisance. Know Coombe Wood very well and caddied it as a kid. A relatively short course from memory so arguably a good starting course as you won't need to bang driver on every hole. Strategy and positioning is key. That said, and it's a personal view, I'd find the lack of distance a problem after a while especially if I then went to a longer course and wasn't use to hitting driver. Definitely a good starting place and I always feel joining a club is a benefit

sunshine

Visit site
If you want to join a club, when the courses re-open why wouldn't you?

From your posts it doesn't seem like your personal circumstances have changed, so I don't really see a reason not too (as it's something you want to do). As a part timer teacher (;)), you can easily get in 18 holes after work and then of course the long summer holiday will be coming up.

Courses will be in great condition when they re-open, and if anything there may be incentives out there to encourage new members. Enjoy!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I'd say as long as you get a pro-rata fee for your membership, then you still have plenty of time to play golf. Hopefully within 3 weeks restrictions will start to lift and golf should be something that opens up before other leisure activities.