Is it too much to ask?

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are on dress codes whilst on the course?

Personally, I always wear 'golf' apparel. Whether its trousers, chinos, waterproofs, teamed up with a polo shirt, sweater, and with the correct footwear.

Now, what bugs me is when others don't. As a student, I'm a regular at a fair few municipals, purely on cost, but when I see the two ball behind, one in the latest West Brom Albion shirt, it makes me think; if you can afford the £45 shirt, surely you can afford the £20 chinos and a polo (sports direct)?

To sum up, is it just too much to ask people to wear golf clothing, whilst playing golf?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are on dress codes whilst on the course?

Personally, I always wear 'golf' apparel. Whether its trousers, chinos, waterproofs, teamed up with a polo shirt, sweater, and with the correct footwear.

Now, what bugs me is when others don't. As a student, I'm a regular at a fair few municipals, purely on cost, but when I see the two ball behind, one in the latest West Brom Albion shirt, it makes me think; if you can afford the £45 shirt, surely you can afford the £20 chinos and a polo (sports direct)?

To sum up, is it just too much to ask people to wear golf clothing, whilst playing golf?

do a search here first, then come back after you've spent 3 days reading all the replies

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To the OP, how many shots did it end up costing you?

None. They never caught up with me and my two playing partners. Its just winds us up. As students, we aren't the best off financially, except we can still afford to and play with clothing etiquette....

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really fussed about clothing, although personally I'd rather wear full golf apparel. What does annoy me is people drinking on the course. Had a couple of times this year where I found a number of empty beer cans scattered around the course, found 2 on one of the greens, one on the fairway and a couple of others elsewhere. Just annoying, and not what I want to see, especially when there were bins on every hole.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
None. They never caught up with me and my two playing partners. Its just winds us up. As students, we aren't the best off financially, except we can still afford to and play with clothing etiquette....

What you do is really all that matters though

You really have no idea if this was an oik or a one off charity thing (likely the former though I agree)

One of our lads played dressed in full Santa outfit last Sunday

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
As someone who has tried to encourage former football team mates to play a few rounds of golf, some have declined on the basis of clothing / footwear. So I have no issue with lack of full golf apparel, especially as we're claiming golf is accessible to all and trying to encourage participation. If we're saying golf participation is dependent on full golf apparel then we're reducing the ease at which it can be accessed.

A bending of the rules say to show a more relaxed attitude outside of members and competitions might be a start.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As was highlighted in the original post, you could pick up a cheap pair of shoes, polo shirt and trousers for not a lot more than what it costs for the latest football shirt. It comes down to attitude.

I always wear appropriate clothing. Never understood the wish to wear jeans. Surely they are more restrictive than a pair of trousers?

G

guest100718

Stockwood in Luton allows jeans, It has no effect on my game if I play there.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Live and let live... you do what you think is right and dont worry about others, you not the clothing police...

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As long as you play at a reasonable pace (or are willing to call me through if you're not), replace divots, repair pitchmarks and behave in a respectful manner towards other golfers, I couldn't care what you wear. I'd take a pair of jeans and a football top before some of that Loudmouth stuff any day.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
doesn't sound like rob was describing a league or competitive golf game though

The rules are applied by a golf club though rather than for any specific competition.

Honestly, what is the hardship in wearing a polo shirt and a pair of trousers? I could understand if clubs insisted on certain brands etc that were really expensive but there's nothing stopping anyone from picking up both items and the appropriate footwear for less than 50 quid.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As long as you play at a reasonable pace (or are willing to call me through if you're not), replace divots, repair pitchmarks and behave in a respectful manner towards other golfers, I couldn't care what you wear. I'd take a pair of jeans and a football top before some of that Loudmouth stuff any day.

Especially it being a public golf course thats good enough for me!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The rules are applied by a golf club though rather than for any specific competition.

Honestly, what is the hardship in wearing a polo shirt and a pair of trousers? I could understand if clubs insisted on certain brands etc that were really expensive but there's nothing stopping anyone from picking up both items and the appropriate footwear for less than 50 quid.

You were the one who compared it to league cricket I just carried it on

So if that club are Ok with jeans etc you will be too?

Incidentally Ive seen professional cricketers practice in tee shirts & training kit etc & not whites, what if this was a practice round or even just a social round

If the club allow it I don't see the issue (not that I'd choose a football top over a golf top but its not me we're talking about)