"Oh, it's for golf is it? Well then that'll be at least double the price"

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Oh, it's for golf is it? Well then that'll be at least double the price"

As golfers we buy lots of things that other non-golfers will buy in their day to day lives. Polos, trousers, umbrellas and sweaters to name but a few.

So why is it that buying them to play golf in immediately elevates the price to eye-wateringly high levels in some cases?

I was in a golfing emporium today (won't say who and where) and was simply astounded at the cost of a simple white polo shirt. I moved on to trousers and gripped the counter tightly, and then best of the lot, was a "big brand" pitch fork at £15!!

Are you happy to be fleeced by a ruthless marketing machine only too keen to play on branding snobbery paranoia, or do you spend a lot of time bargain-hunting online or maybe visiting Primark, Sainsbury's and Tesco?

D

Deleted member 15344

Re: "Oh, it's for golf is it? Well then that'll be at least double the price"

Buy whatever I think is nice and good quality

Buying expensive doesn't always mean it's good and vice versa buying cheap doesn't mean it's rubbish

Lots of other sports are also expensive but you can certainly buy golf stuff at reasonable price if searched

Never seen a branded pitch mark repairer at £15 though - a club one maybe

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I'm a mix when it comes to clothes, some golf, some non-golf, the designed for golf I usually buy at discount prices.

But my Odyssey pitch mark repairer is one of my favourite bits of kit, I don't know why I've not included it in my signature really.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Divo...196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41948ed274

Last edited:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I more than happy buying stock from 2013-14. If it looks good then I'm more than happy with stuff that's a few years old, season wise.

There's bargains to be had if you look hard enough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

It doesn't have to be that way and you can play perfectly well and look perfectly acceptable for a reasonable price. You can get a polo and chinos in Tesco perfectly cheaply. Get a lesser known brand of club and you'll pay significantly less than a Cally, Ping or Mizuno. It can be done. If you have the cash and want better quality makes then why not

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

And you'll be able to buy that white t shirt half price in September when the autumn winter ranges are released.

I too was a little surprised yesterday to spot a Ping pitch mark repairer and magnetic ball marker at £11 in the local range shop.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Got myself a nice (very smart) pair of "Mountain Warehouse" wind-proof trousers today to wear out on the "Golf Course" and all for the miserly sum of £15, absolute bonus !...:thup:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

You can buy camo goretex trousers from around the £3 mark.

How come galvin green can charge upwards of £200 for goretex golf trousers?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

Don't get me wrong now. I too have my fair share of "branded stuff' normally, it must be said, picked up as end-of-line or last season's designs etc.

But I do draw the line at walking in and parting with very silly sums of money for the latest design at some ludicrously jacked-up figure.

And I totally agree that as golfers we are not the only niche market consumers to be taken to the cleaners by greedy corporations.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Golf clothing is so overpriced. I just find polo shirts etc off Amazon, eBay etc. You can get a whole seasons worth of clothes for the price of one Nike top.

Another interesting one is laser rangefinders. You can get hunting lasers loads cheaper than golf ones, even though they are basically the same thing.

Shoes, clubs, balls etc pretty much have to be golf specific (and overpriced as a result). But when you can buy generic, steer well clear of golf stuff.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't like paying over the odds to wear stuff with conspicuous logos etc.
Why am i paying to advertise for them?

I will pay good money for branded wet weather gear, but a jumper is a jumper.
M&S will do nicely!

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

As a larger bloke most places don't do my size, so I end up buying standard polos, chinos, chino shorts, but the prices of some of the branded clothing is high! Would be nice if they catered for the fuller figure though.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I like to find bargains, who doesn't, I like to wear branded names OJ, Lindeberg, Under Armour, at decent prices, but I bought 2 shirts recently one polo and a long sleeve top by iliac Golf and they are the best quality clothing I've had. Expensive but quality.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

Bought two Nike polos and a Proquip wet suit top back in January in our Pro's end of season sale. Previously all three together were well northwards of £150 but they were all a tenner apiece so £3o sovs the lot! Happy days.

Now that was a result!

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site

I get most of my stuff from County Golf, OK, it's last years stock but the prices are great, tenner will get you a good polo shirt and another tenner for a pair of Greg Norman trousers, job done :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Out of interest, is there much difference between astroturf trainers and spikeless golf shoes. The soles look very similar but astroturf trainers are nearly half the price

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If I like the look of it, i'll buy it. Doesn't bother me whether its got a particular logo on it or not.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Look like Adam Scott who wears Uniqlo - polo shirts that he wears are about £15, trousers about £29. Don't think they sell them with the logo on though.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Its a shame they don't sell over here but IZOD are a really good quality and very cheap in the USA. I have only seen them in the outlet malls and you can buy a couple of polo's and a pair of pants for about £15-20 (for all three).

You can always get names brands cheaper if you shop around, as Scotty Cameron has already mentioned County golf do have some good deals on offer.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Golf clothing is so overpriced. I just find polo shirts etc off Amazon, eBay etc. You can get a whole seasons worth of clothes for the price of one Nike top.

Another interesting one is laser rangefinders. You can get hunting lasers loads cheaper than golf ones, even though they are basically the same thing.

Shoes, clubs, balls etc pretty much have to be golf specific (and overpriced as a result). But when you can buy generic, steer well clear of golf stuff.

The laser range finders used for shooting are exactly the same as yours that you bought from the pro shop only yours was 1/2 as much again and some of the "cheaper" makes are just as good if not better if you go by what the reviews say !...:thup: