Is it best to keep your arms straight?

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently taken up golf and I was really struggling (I've had two lessons).

What I have found that works is that if I keep my left arm completely straight until the last helf of my back swing and then keep my left arm straight on the last half of my down swing, that I can hit the ball really well.

Is this a normal method?

I also stretch my arms out further than usual as I have to stand a bit further from the ball than most people because I have big arm muscles and big chest muscles from lots of gym work. If I don't do this then my arms hit my chest, causing things to get out of shape.

I know some people will say 'do it if works' but I want to learn in the best possible way and do everything right.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
yes as far as I am aware a straight left arm for as long as possible is ideal. It is something that I have been working on with my coach and have noticed an improvement in contact and distance.

As for distance from the ball I believe it is down to whether you have a 1 plane or 2 plane swing but someone with more experience will need to answer that one. If you are 1 plane and stand far away you will probably need a good tilt forward at the hips.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Straighter the better though it isnt gospel. On impact my arm is a little bowed though having searched up on this a couple of years ago , Lee westwood is similar, left arm has a slight flex too.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I believe keeping a straight left arm is as fundamental as keeping your eye on the ball.

really?

Have always had a left arm that bends in the backswing and then straightens again at impact and whilst several people have told me this is not ideal no one has ever been able to explain what harm it does and what benefit I would gain from having my left arm straighter

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Straighter the better though it isnt gospel. On impact my arm is a little bowed though having searched up on this a couple of years ago , Lee westwood is similar, left arm has a slight flex too.

+1. Westy has a pronounced arm flex through impact. Had it since junior days.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Not being in a position to give advice, what I would suggest is getting in front of a full length mirror and swinging away!
I do it regularly, with or without a club.
I do try to keep the left arm straight throughout the vast majority of the swing but not rigid straight or forcing it straight.
Recently I have found that keeping my left arm straight, my iron shots have improved. Just wish I could say the same with my recent driver shots!

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys.

I have had some really good results with this so I'll certainly keep it up.

It's annoying that I had to discover this, instead of the pro telling in my £43.50 an hour sessions.

My left arm used to bent and couldn't hit the ball at all.

I think it will be the last time that I use her as my pro, yes it's a woman...

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
speak to her about it first perhaps there are other things she feels like you need to work on first like grip or posture. She can only do so much in each session but can't do anything if you don't discuss it with her.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have had some really good results with this so I'll certainly keep it up.

It's annoying that I had to discover this, instead of the pro telling in my £43.50 an hour sessions.

My left arm used to bent and couldn't hit the ball at all.

I think it will be the last time that I use her as my pro, yes it's a woman...

this could explain why she didnt mention it as women tend to bend their left arm more as they have 2 protruding bumps to work around :eek:
a double hinge in theory generates more power (basic physics) however a straight but not rigid left arm certainly helps extension and width, creating more power generally while keeping the club on track.
Practice holding your left arm parallel to the target line with the club set (wrist cocked at 90 degrees) then turn the shoulders only to a full normal turn from you then complete the swing

ivan

Medal Winner
Visit site
i went for a lesson yesterday morning to improve my chipping and pitching around the green - chipping instruction great as i learnt a lot. then went onto short pitching - i shanked my first three attempts (this is not usual) so the pro asked me to hit 3 - 4 7 irons as he thought my swing might be suspect. i thought i hit pretty good ones but he pointed out that all went in a very straight line to the left and finished up 10/15 yards'ish from the target (this is usual). immediately said that my left arm was not straight through the swing and, if it was, the ball would go straighter. few practices with the 7 iron proved the point. more importantly, when i played a round in the afternoon, it worked again. so, yes, i reckon its worth keeping the left arm straight.