Is distance embarrassing?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was fortunate enough to be able to take nosevi up on his kind and generous offer to visit his home and try the machine.

Found it very useful, the machine was givings figures I'd expect for my full shots and nosevi's shots.
I had an interesting experience with part swings where I was consistently coming up short. Nosevi suggested we take it outside and the practice swing felt different even without a target, the shot was as expected. I'd been swinging differently inside with a curtailed follow through and could feel. Once I got back inside I found I was swinging as outside.
just gotta workout if I want to keep swinging as outside or in now. May even hit a ball or 2 eith my eyes shut to try snd decide now that I'm out of range of nosevi's equipment and car.

So nice to be hitting proper balls and consequently better than range practice for me, very good for fitting and experimenting. Still a bit old fashioned and like hitting proper balls outside.

Lovely bit of kit. Thanks fot the opportunity to try it.

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
I was fortunate enough to be able to take nosevi up on his kind and generous offer to visit his home and try the machine.

Found it very useful, the machine was givings figures I'd expect for my full shots and nosevi's shots.
I had an interesting experience with part swings where I was consistently coming up short. Nosevi suggested we take it outside and the practice swing felt different even without a target, the shot was as expected. I'd been swinging differently inside with a curtailed follow through and could feel. Once I got back inside I found I was swinging as outside.
just gotta workout if I want to keep swinging as outside or in now. May even hit a ball or 2 with my eyes shut to try and decide now that I'm out of range of nosevi's equipment and car.

So nice to be hitting proper balls and consequently better than range practice for me, very good for fitting and experimenting. Still a bit old fashioned and like hitting proper balls outside.

Lovely bit of kit. Thanks for the opportunity to try it.

It's no problem at all, I'm glad you found benefit from coming over and the offer for another bash was genuine, feel free to give me a bell any time.

The situation with pitching yardages was interesting from a training perspective when using this form of kit. In essence the launch monitor read exactly the yardages that both me and SGC001 thought it should in just about every situation. In fact at one point when we were mucking about on a course he assessed his putting speed based on how fast the greens were playing and the exact feet he needed to putt the ball and put it within inches of that distance. Long shots were the same from him (more so than from me :) ). Hope it's ok to say but for those that don't know, SGC001 is a PGA qualified Pro and one that still plays the game competitively when he can and to a very high level. I practice along side some very good amateurs (plus handicap guys and girls) as well as regularly seeing pros striking the ball at my club and the England Golf Academy where I get lessons. This guy knows how to strike a golf ball. ( as well as how to teach it - got some great tips along the way!)

Anyway, faced with a pitch into the screen, while I'm used to the kit and hit it as I wanted to, SGC001 changed his follow through a bit and came up short of his intended yardage every time. Only on pitches though where he was trying to control distance, not on a full swing where the yardages given by the kit were spot on. To demonstrate that the kit was accurate we took the launch monitor out to the field next to my house and he hit a pitch off a mat I have there and the launch monitor gave the exact yardage he was trying to hit (don't you just hate pros?). Going back into the sim and he could commit to the shot more and his yardages for pitches were back to bang on what he would expect. I guess it's a perception thing but once you get round it the kit behaves and you find the yardages are spot on.

The hitting proper balls thing that he mentions is important to me. I couldn't count the number of times I've hit a poor shot on a range only to hit a good one after and found myself at a loss as to whether it was just a 'dud' ball previously. In my sim I hit ProV1s every shot. That sounds dead posh but if you think about it I only need the one. I know that the ball is good, any poor shot is down to the guy holding the club. Anyone using the kit is free to use their own ball so it reacts and feels as expected. Added to that being able to see your shot pattern, replay shots, assess your dispersion and mean landing point reference your intended target (I aim a few yards right of everything now - a tad left is just where the ball ends up) makes a session on the launch monitor pretty invaluable to progressing your game. It's not a substitute for hitting off grass by any measure but it does add something that a standard range session simply can't.

Anyway, had a couple of forum members over and both seriously know their stuff. One is coming back next week which should tell you something about what you can get out of the kit. Any other takers just give me a shout, if I can make myself available at a time when you can come I will :)

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rather than start a new thread as this is an old link but just watched Bubbas 424 yard drive in August!!!

I've heard of the floating heel but his is a downright stamp (something I've seen the MAMG guys say to try).... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDb_AeI-bH8

Does anyone on here actually do this with their drives? Obviously Bubba's on another planet. I'm a newbie so i'm concentrating on getting as stable a base as I can

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
Rather than start a new thread as this is an old link but just watched Bubbas 424 yard drive in August!!!

I've heard of the floating heel but his is a downright stamp (something I've seen the MAMG guys say to try).... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDb_AeI-bH8

Does anyone on here actually do this with their drives? Obviously Bubba's on another planet. I'm a newbie so i'm concentrating on getting as stable a base as I can

Me - nope, I go for a stable base. I'm sure you can hit it harder with this technique but with my skill the pay off on accuracy wouldn't be worth it.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Played with a guy once who done this and he hit it a long way, have tried it myself but end up all over the place.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand what you are saying and I do agree.
A lot of golfers never get close to achieving their controlled distance potential due to lack of stability and other technique faults.

I've hit a few long shots in my time and when people have asked me how I do it I have generally come back with 'there is no reason you can't' and while some of them might be a little shorter or a little older they could still hit it further with the right time and effort. Unfortunately they are two things that a lot of people don't have in spades but if you told them it was this new miracle driver they would be tempted to part with the cash!

I didn't have time to read everything on the thread but I like the setup you have. Fingers crossed Santa thinks I've been a good boy this year! All that plus a fixed knee!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot of golfers never get close to achieving their controlled distance potential due to lack of stability and other technique faults.

I've hit a few long shots in my time and when people have asked me how I do it I have generally come back with 'there is no reason you can't' and while some of them might be a little shorter or a little older they could still hit it further with the right time and effort. Unfortunately they are two things that a lot of people don't have in spades but if you told them it was this new miracle driver they would be tempted to part with the cash!

I didn't have time to read everything on the thread but I like the setup you have. Fingers crossed Santa thinks I've been a good boy this year! All that plus a fixed knee!
You neeed more than fingers crossed for Santa to think you a have been a good boy.:eek:

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site

It is useful for working on your game, really glad I got it. In fact tomorrow I've got the 3rd forum member to have a bash and look at their numbers coming over in as many weeks. Last 2 both said they got a lot out of it.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You neeed more than fingers crossed for Santa to think you a have been a good boy.:eek:

You got me there mate! Here hoping for a lottery win otherwise I'll be getting myself a chocolate orange!
I was hoping the bit of care in the community work I have done over the years would help make amends but still coming up short!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is useful for working on your game, really glad I got it. In fact tomorrow I've got the 3rd forum member to have a bash and look at their numbers coming over in as many weeks. Last 2 both said they got a lot out of it.

That's very generous of you to invite other forum members around. I get funny looks at my club when I tell them I'm going off to play with people I met on the internet but not sure I could bring myself to invite them round my house. I'd have to hide the bodies!

Good facility to have and a great learning tool. When are you putting in the putting green and short game area?! :)
I might have to move a bit closer when you do.

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
Good facility to have and a great learning tool. When are you putting in the putting green and short game area?! :)
I might have to move a bit closer when you do.

Still talking to 'the boss' about an artificial putting green behind the garage that the sim is in but don't like my chances. Put a range mat in for pitching though - useful for when the ground freezes or gets boggy. Persuading her of that one was easy - bunch of divots later and I had the go ahead for the mat :)

7.jpg

D

Deleted member 15344

All great if people have disposable income to splash out on simulators and practise areas and pool rooms etc

D

Deleted member 15344

Your ruining my illusion of all forum members being read topics and posts aloud by a butler while sat in an armchair smoking big cigars and swirling brandy.

I wish mate

Robinson juice around a candle keeping warm as heating is being saved for when it gets really cold :(

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
All great if people have disposable income to splash out on simulators and practise areas and pool rooms etc

To be fair the practice area is just a mat and a lawn :)

Most of the rest took a long time to save for. Was a junior officer in the military so while not poor hardly rolling in it either. Did without some things for a few years in order to be able to have what I want now and made some good decisions financially along the way (bought a house young when they were cheap etc and was paying a mortgage when most of my mates were pissing it up). Not really ashamed of making what were for me good decisions financially I'm afraid :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Most of the rest took a long time to save for. Was a junior officer in the military so while not poor hardly rolling in it either. Did without some things for a few years in order to be able to have what I want now and made some good decisions financially along the way (bought a house young when they were cheap etc and was paying a mortgage when most of my mates were pissing it up). Not really ashamed of making what were for me good decisions financially I'm afraid :)

That is all very commendable and nobody is going to have a go at you for that but what you have to remember is that there are a lot of guys on here who struggle to pay their annual subs (or can't afford to even join a club) and have to think twice about a £25 green fee so they are not going to be too impressed when someone starts threads about their £11k indoor driving net, a Ferrari and an upstairs games room.

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh dear :(

It is great for you that you able to afford all this facilities and pool rooms and ferraris etc just maybe not everyone can with some struggle to pay greens and Prob not meant and guess you are just proud of the simulator - just feels a bit showing off maybe

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh dear :(

It is great for you that you able to afford all this facilities and pool rooms and ferraris etc just maybe not everyone can with some struggle to pay greens and Prob not meant and guess you are just proud of the simulator - just feels a bit showing off maybe

Think that's a bit harsh mate. Don't think he deserves that. I'd love one of those simulator thingies, and a Ferrari. Unfortunately I'm beneath the cat in the pecking order in my house, so my reality is a second hand scratching post :eek: