Is custom fitting worth £100?

Timbo

Medal Winner
Visit site
How important is custom fitting?

Living in the wilds of back and beyond, it's 2 hrs to a decent chain golf store (Bristol), so I had a look in the Pro Shop at the Royal N Devon. Of the 3 choices of clubs I was looking for (Di 7, MX 19, I 601), he had 2 (Miz + Srix, not the Wilsons), but they were at least £100 more expensive than online, but he would custom fit them for free.

So, is paying £100 to have them customed fitted locally worth it, or should I just mail order standard lie/length and pocket the cash? Do pro's custom fit clubs not purchased from them?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
A pro could conceivably fit a set, but the grips are going to be £30 min, the check loft and lie, adjust etc. £40 at a guess. That's £70 for starters.
Clearly online is cheapest, but if you have the build/game to make custom fitting worthwhile, I'd go with a pro at a club. Don't see it as £100 more, just a bit more for a proper job.

Dave

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
All depends on what you need changing to fit you.

Go for the Wilson Staff Di7 irons mate, they are the best on the market, in the game improvement category.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
All depends on what you need changing to fit you.

Yes, if the length is right you won't need to trash and refit the grips. Then again if the length is OK, the lies should look after themselves on a new set.

I think the business should go to the pro, if £100 is too much to bear, try to get a dozen balls thrown in or something.

Timbo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well, I really wanted the Wilson Di7's, so I rang around the local pro shops and found someone who stocked them. Went in and spent an hour testing 5 different clubs and came away with Ci6's rather than the Di7's or MX19's (he reckoned I would benefit from a slimmer sole, and I did hit them better!!), having never even considered them. Custom fitting not an issue as my setting turns out to be std length/lie, so I was well pleased.

Even better was that he charged me £200 which equates to a pricematch on the web plus the £20 of diesel it would have taken to get to Bristol and back!! Result

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
I would always give the business to the pro. I have seen what some of the spotty oiks at AG call custom fitting and good service.

Trust me when I say look after the pro, he will look after you too!

I always thought the ag approach to custom fit is basic to say the least.
A few measurements a set of clubs then the tile slamming shut.

For myself i fancy going to a place with the proper equipment that tells trajectory spin rate ect and get a set that is properly set up for the individual.

I may be selling ag short but i doubt it

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
both the ping rep and club pro's were 'fitting' at a recent ping demo - I saw no equipment except a height board (which I think just checked wrist height above the ground) and a board which I think checked the strike. With what was being charged for the clubs, I'd expected a lot more of fitting. (No, I didn't buy any)

Visit site
When the pro checked me for custom fitting, he said my height was no problem as most clubs are designed for a chap 5'10" to 6'. He then put some Ping tape on the sole and got me to hit a shot off of a board. This scuffed the tape between 2 lines, which he said mean't the lie was ok. A scuff either side of the lines would have meant an adjustment was necessary.