Custom Fitting Experience

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot of guys at the club have been suggesting getting a set of irons that are custom fit.

I got my current set back in 2012 from Direct Golf and have never had the lofts and lies rechecked since my first alteration when I purchased them. I feel that my swing speed and mechanics have probably changed a lot since then as I have grown and become a much better player (currently off 18).

Now that I have joined a club and playing at least once a week with hours being put in at the range to reduce my handicap I feel like I could justify a new set of irons in the bag that are setup for my swing.

Can anybody recommend anywhere in the Midlands region that would be worth trying out for a fitting? Also, how much should I be expecting to pay out for a new set? Will I need to pay extra for certain shafts or grips? I literally have no experience of this so if there is anything else to look out for, please let me know!

Cheers guys!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of guys at the club have been suggesting getting a set of irons that are custom fit.

I got my current set back in 2012 from Direct Golf and have never had the lofts and lies rechecked since my first alteration when I purchased them. I feel that my swing speed and mechanics have probably changed a lot since then as I have grown and become a much better player (currently off 18).

Now that I have joined a club and playing at least once a week with hours being put in at the range to reduce my handicap I feel like I could justify a new set of irons in the bag that are setup for my swing.

Can anybody recommend anywhere in the Midlands region that would be worth trying out for a fitting? Also, how much should I be expecting to pay out for a new set? Will I need to pay extra for certain shafts or grips? I literally have no experience of this so if there is anything else to look out for, please let me know!

Cheers guys!

The obvious choice would be the Belfry. Never been there personally but several on here have. Price is subjective and if you go for some fancy shaft option there will be a significant add on, but there should be plenty of stock options available. You normally have to pay for the fitting although this is often knocked off the price if you buy on the day

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Cheers guys!

If your going for top of the range irons expect to pay upwards of a grand. Most of the top manufacturers give free upgrades on certain shafts and grips. DO not get carried away with being talked into expensive shaft upgrades, most of the free upgrade options are more than suitable for us club golfers.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your going for top of the range irons expect to pay upwards of a grand. Most of the top manufacturers give free upgrades on certain shafts and grips. DO not get carried away with being talked into expensive shaft upgrades, most of the free upgrade options are more than suitable for us club golfers.

This.

Belfry has a good set up. Won't be cheap.

Paging Hovis...

he'll be the man in the know if you want more info on the Belfry's offerings 👍

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gene Fulton of Golf Addiction in Leicester, spent years on men's and ladies tours he would sort you out.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
A bit different and may be a bit far for you, but Designer Golf in Daventry are a good golf club builder.

They have some brands that you may not be familiar with as they aren't OEM, a lot of manufacturers from the Asian market and a couple more local.

The benefits are that the clubs will be built component by component so in theory the clubs should be ideal for you. The less known brands are really excellent too, you will get a better club head than a OEM for a similar price

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
From my experience of fitting, generally this will limit you to current year stock. i.e. older stuff that may be on sale isn't going to be available with custom fit options. It will simply be, there's the set - take it or leave it as it is.

This obviously ramps the cost up considerably.

It would be interesting to know if there's someone that specifically takes cash off you for a fitting and can give you output that allows you to then source your own set or get your current set amended.

Also my understanding is that a Ping place will be able to tell you which colour dot you are suited to. Which should then allow you to source a previous years model.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It would be interesting to know if there's someone that specifically takes cash off you for a fitting and can give you output that allows you to then source your own set or get your current set amended.

Yes, any independent club fitter can do this. They usually charge for the fitting, somewhere around £75 which they normally discount off any purchase. But nothing stopping you from paying the fitting fee then leaving with the data

D

Deleted member 18588

A fitting at The Belfry would be restricted to only four brands..

Ping, Callaway, Titleist and TaylorMade. If that limited choice is OK for you then the fitting experience isn't too bad and their prices are competitive.

You could get a wider range of mfrs. (inc. PXG and Honma) at Midland Golf Superstore at Four Ashes, Dorridge.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This.

Belfry has a good set up. Won't be cheap.

Paging Hovis...

he'll be the man in the know if you want more info on the Belfry's offerings 👍

thanks 😁

the belfry has improved drastically for custom fitting over the last year. the clubs are very well priced to.

if you decide to go then dont let them book you in with anyone other than neil