Is always playing stableford stopping you getting a lower handicap ??

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We have, as I suspect most do, a gross order of merit

and us. We have a lowest gross prize equivalent to the first prize of best nett then the normal 2nd, 3rd etc.

We also have the Lane Cup which is a board prize of the best gross order of merit, over any 6 strokeplay comps I think it is.

All our board and monthly comps are strokeplay, we do stableford mid-week only as roll-ups, NTR's.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have, as I suspect most do, a gross order of merit

None for us - only gross prize all year is the club champs , tried to introduce a best Gross in the medals to be told I was only doing it for my own benefit

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have loads of open comps which all have a gross prize even though they are Stableford competitions. something I have never heard of before this year, called gross points.

Rule is at our club for this, you must have at least 30 gross points to win. I had a strange occurrence in an open last month where I was the lowest score on the course on the day. It was real tough conditions and shot 12 over. Not enough gross points to take the gross prize though.

Gross points is something like your points - your handicap.

My mate collected the gross prize at portsallon and they posted his gross points score. First I had heard of it.

For me to have won the gross prize on the day I mentioned about, I would have had to win the comp outright by 3 points. Bit of a faff. :rofl:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have loads of open comps which all have a gross prize even though they are Stableford competitions. something I have never heard of before this year, called gross points.

Rule is at our club for this, you must have at least 30 gross points to win. I had a strange occurrence in an open last month where I was the lowest score on the course on the day. It was real tough conditions and shot 12 over. Not enough gross points to take the gross prize though.

My mate collected the gross prize at portsallon and they posted his gross points score. First I had heard of it.

For me to have won the gross prize on the day I mentioned about, I would have had to win the comp outright by 3 points. Bit of a faff. :rofl:

Any gross score can win our gross prize. A 22 handicapper won our gross prize earlier this year with a score of 98 :confused: :rofl:

garyo

Medal Winner
Visit site
We have loads of open comps which all have a gross prize even though they are Stableford competitions. something I have never heard of before this year, called gross points...

We have this all the time down at ours Gary, but it would be more akin to 3rd nett rather than 1st in terms of prize value. Don't think there's a lower eligibility limit on it though, but it would be a very rare occasion that less than 30 gross would be the best in I suppose.

It's not quite as clear cut though as nett minus h/c, as the same gross score can result in different nett scores dependant on the performance at the shot-holes. I've an awful track record of missing out on gross prizes on countback too! :confused:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Club champs have two prizes. One for best gross score (CLUB CHAMPION) and one for best net. Two totally different events. I have no different strategy between the two formats and play every competition with the intention of making the best score I can.

D

Deleted member 23270

How do some of you escape bans? I mean you , fish , d4s , liverpoolphil to name a few are obnoxious beyond belief . .

That's a strong statement, can you back it up with some examples?