Is always playing stableford stopping you getting a lower handicap ??

virgilvdk

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's an excellent format for society golf as quite often it's the only time some even play. I'd agree that allowing someone to essentially have some catastrophic holes but still win makes it a lesser format

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Because it's to make duffers feel better about their golf :whoo:

It’s about time you ventured out of Scotland Sam to show us all your superior golfing ability, we’ve been short changed with the offerings from some of your stablemates who huff & puff the same as you, but like you, they talk a good game but they always come up short and are never in the fame, maybe you can lead from the front and give them some support and confidence being the leader that you are 😜

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Also, if I understand the rules changes correctly. it will be possible to set a max score for a whole and pick up once that is reached in medal play as well starting next year. That was one of the rules changes proposed, was it not? That will effectively make Stabelford and medal play almost equal anyway.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s about time you ventured out of Scotland Sam to show us all your superior golfing ability, we’ve been short changed with the offerings from some of your stablemates who huff & puff the same as you, but like you, they talk a good game but they always come up short and are never in the fame, maybe you can lead from the front and give them some support and confidence being the leader that you are 😜

Robin, the problem is they don't want to play with duffers like us :D

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
How do some of you escape bans? I mean you , fish , d4s , liverpoolphil to name a few are obnoxious beyond belief . Others are allowed opinions that don't match yours, you can politely disagree you know.

Perhaps you should read some of the stuff the OP has posted on here before accusing others.
Having said that I am happy to withdraw the first comment, as such comments are out of character for me.
But I'd like the OP to address the second point as I am not the first to point this out and he continues to ignore it but carries on insulting those that prefer stableford.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Perhaps you should read some of the stuff the OP has posted on here before accusing others.
Having said that I am happy to withdraw the first comment, as such comments are out of character for me.
But I'd like the OP to address the second point as I am not the first to point this out and he continues to ignore it but carries on insulting those that prefer stableford.

What have I missed here, what is what second point ?? Tell me who I insulted ?

Tell me this is not the old "I'm insulted on someone's behalf" is it ?

It's a rubbish format, that's my opinion, those who prefer it over strokeplay are copping out in my opinion, still awaiting who I've insulted, not a single person nor member on here but no doubt I'll be the one who takes the wrap cause I question things that certain members don't agree with....

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Cabby, you are more than welcome to your opinion re the Stableford format and you have voiced that opinion several times, no problem there.

However being a Forum that caters for golfers of all ages and abilities and persuasions one thing you cannot do is to force it down our throats which is what you are doing at the moment.

People will disagree with your views, accept it, agree to disagree and move on
👍

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Cabby, you are more than welcome to your opinion re the Stableford format and you have voiced that opinion several times, no problem there.

However being a Forum that caters for golfers of all ages and abilities and persuasions one thing you cannot do is to force it down our throats which is what you are doing at the moment.

People will disagree with your views, accept it, agree to disagree and move on


I'm only countering subsequent replies, I've neither insulted anyone on here nor anyone specifically, but fair enough.

btw, do you think Fish has noticed I'm ignoring him yet ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
What have I missed here, what is what second point ?? Tell me who I insulted ?

Tell me this is not the old "I'm insulted on someone's behalf" is it ?

It's a rubbish format, that's my opinion, those who prefer it over strokeplay are copping out in my opinion, still awaiting who I've insulted, not a single person nor member on here but no doubt I'll be the one who takes the wrap cause I question things that certain members don't agree with....

I've no problem with the opinion you hold although you would make debate far easier if you backed it up rather than just endlessly repeating your opinion whilst accusing others of "copping out",an insult in my opinion, and one used to stifle proper debate.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've no problem with the opinion you hold although you would make debate far easier if you backed it up rather than just endlessly repeating your opinion whilst accusing others of "copping out",an insult in my opinion, and one used to stifle proper debate.

I don't see it as an insult, the whole reason for starting the topic, despite what a few may think, was to change mindsets. I said on a number of occasions, fair enough if that's what you enjoy playing, though that is obviously ignored.

If you, not you specifically but one can battle away, grind out a score, one will become a better player but if one is given an easy option to "take a blob" then to me, that's a bit of a cop out, an easy option as it were. I also believe I encourage debate more than most on here rather than stifle it, it's just some, just don't like my differing opinion to theirs.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't see it as an insult, the whole reason for starting the topic, despite what a few may think, was to change mindsets. I said on a number of occasions, fair enough if that's what you enjoy playing, though that is obviously ignored.

If you, not you specifically but one can battle away, grind out a score, one will become a better player but if one is given an easy option to "take a blob" then to me, that's a bit of a cop out, an easy option as it were. I also believe I encourage debate more than most on here rather than stifle it, it's just some, just don't like my differing opinion to theirs.

As I have said I have no problem with your opinion and it does have some merit, but you have on this thread time and time again simply restated your opinion rather than engaging in full debate.

For instance you say in your original post that playing stablefords restrictes players from lowering their handicap, I and other have pointed out that handicap changes are based on the stableford scoring system so can be used to help players lower their handicaps and each time you have ignored that point.

Personally I have no problem with either stroke play format, though prefer match play, and feel that both can help us all play better golf if they are approached in the right way. At our club we play an equal number of stableford and medals in official competitions but the main roll up on a weekend is always stableford and almost all the top players at the club play in that one (we have been county scratch league champs more than any other club in the county over the last 25yrs).

As for the insulting remarks I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
These stableford comps must be more an English thing then cause as I said earlier, we have two a year, or should I say season, and most dislike them.

I also said in an earlier post where I quoted LP that I actually meant make you a better player rather than the initial handicap lowering. I get why certain players like it but I do suspect cat 1 players would choose strokeplay over stableford any time.

D

Deleted member 1147

These stableford comps must be more an English thing then cause as I said earlier, we have two a year, or should I say season, and most dislike them.

I also said in an earlier post where I quoted LP that I actually meant make you a better player rather than the initial handicap lowering. I get why certain players like it but I do suspect cat 1 players would choose strokeplay over stableford any time.

I’m cat 1, I play either medals or Stableford. They are both strokeplay events. You play a hole, mark the score in the box and move onto the next hole.
Maybe the fact that lower handicapped players rarely take more than double bogey means we aren’t affected by the difference as much as higher, less consistent, handicappers.