Is always playing stableford stopping you getting a lower handicap ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don’t disagree with you. Most club golfers in England are brought up with a stableford mindset. They talk about nett scores, how many blobs etc.
Check out most clubs starts sheets. Stablefords will be over subscribed, medals rarely unless club champs etc

That explains a lot doesn't it, lack of ambition and desire, I'd also bet there are few cat 1 golfers playing stableford every week.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I don’t disagree with you. Most club golfers in England are brought up with a stableford mindset. They talk about nett scores, how many blobs etc.
Check out most clubs starts sheets. Stablefords will be over subscribed, medals rarely unless club champs etc
Not at my place. Both medals and stablefords are fully booked. if you don't get your name down as soon as the start sheet becomes available you struggle to get a game. Most of the board comps are medals, plus a monthly one. There are definitely less stablefords than medals. Medals and stablefords are just a game of golf as far as I am concerned. if you don't enter you don't get a game, or you are teeing off late afternoon.

D

Deleted member 16999

It may seem as though people are playing a lot of Stableford as we’ve only just started the season and in winter, a lot clubs play non-qualifiers and ind stab comps.
Now the season has started the majority of ind comps will be stroke.
Our place only does ind stab or 4bbb Nov - Apr, now the season is here, between now and Oct we have 15 Ind Stroke comps and only 4 Ind Stab.
I agree with your point if people purposely avoid ind Stroke comps, personally I’ll play every weekend regardless of comp.

That explains a lot doesn't it, lack of ambition and desire, I'd also bet there are few cat 1 golfers playing stableford every week.
If we enjoy playing comps and play every weekend, as per my reply above, you may have no choice in what the competition is.
Nothing to do with ambition or desire.

D

Deleted member 21258

Golf is a game I choose to play, handicap is not important just a reflection of how I score when having fun.
I like playing, cant get enough of it. I play more defensive in medals and tend to score better tbh , but it is boring doing that, I like to have fun.

A handicap is not the be all and end all of golf to some people and a handicap is a number, fun is where the action is at, life really is to short not to have fun.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not at my place. Both medals and stablefords are fully booked. if you don't get your name down as soon as the start sheet becomes available you struggle to get a game. Most of the board comps are medals, plus a monthly one. There are definitely less stablefords than medals. Medals and stablefords are just a game of golf as far as I am concerned. if you don't enter you don't get a game, or you are teeing off late afternoon.

Same here.
Full start sheet for the medal on Saturday, same the previous week for the Stableford.
Plus, the cat 1 players play the Stableford as well.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If we enjoy playing comps and play every weekend, as per my reply above, you may have no choice in what the competition is.
Nothing to do with ambition or desire.

I've already said, if folk are happy playing that style of game, crack on and if the club decides it's stableford then stableford it is but surely it's the members that decide on the fixtures not some office boffin.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Not at my place - starting least year we have had to extend the period for booked a tee slot in medals as our medals were way over-subscribed. In Saturday's medal there were 117 playing - and on a normal Saturday you could add the 5 of us playing an away match at Hersham.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Medal rounds always take longer, which is bad as weekend golf is already painfully slow. Everyone finishing every hole when it would be a pickup in another format.

At my place it is easy to lose a slightly wayward shot that ends up in the rough as you so often can’t see where a ball lands as it is blind... this has happened to my group several times recently, we can’t believe the ball is not around but once 5 minutes are up you have no choice but to walk back

I personally prefer medal as it is a purer form, but for convenience of weekly play i am happy with stableford

D

Deleted member 16999

I've already said, if folk are happy playing that style of game, crack on and if the club decides it's stableford then stableford it is but surely it's the members that decide on the fixtures not some office boffin.
It’s not in the summer, fixtures are 95% set comps, ie, board comps or monthly medals etc..
Your opinion has been set on here on what you’ve read since you joined, as explained the switch comes from winter to summer.
Your claiming Stableford is some sort of cop out and that’s plain daft. Daylight is reduced, less people can play, a lot courses stop qualifiers, Stableford should be quicker.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's a fair enough format out of season, afterall, who cares about how or what you play out of season but in season qualifiers strokeplay is the proper format folk should be striving for, and please spare me the stableford is strokeplay guff.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's a fair enough format out of season, afterall, who cares about how or what you play out of season but in season qualifiers strokeplay is the proper format folk should be striving for, and please spare me the stableford is strokeplay guff.
:thup:

D

Deleted member 1147

Stableford is a strokeplay format!

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
And were all bored of you....

This
And, handicap changes are made following an assessment of your stableford score no matter the format of the quatlifying competition played. So anyone truly wishing to reduce their handicap would adopt a stableford stategy no matter what format of competition. So no, playing stableford rather than medals should, with the right mindset, enhance your ability to lower your handicap.

virgilvdk

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This
And, handicap changes are made following an assessment of your stableford score no matter the format of the quatlifying competition played. So anyone truly wishing to reduce their handicap would adopt a stableford stategy no matter what format of competition. So no, playing stableford rather than medals should, with the right mindset, enhance your ability to lower your handicap.

How do some of you escape bans? I mean you , fish , d4s , liverpoolphil to name a few are obnoxious beyond belief . Others are allowed opinions that don't match yours, you can politely disagree you know.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Give me stroke play all day where you need to put a number in each box and finish every hole. Stableford is a poor format that any duffer can play and talk more about good old Mr Blobby and what could have been

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Give me stroke play all day where you need to put a number in each box and finish every hole. Stableford is a poor format that any duffer can play and talk more about good old Mr Blobby and what could have been

I agree, but leave me , mr blobby out of it ;) at mine we only have 2 Stableford comps a year, and they're no quicker than normal medal rounds.
Why don't the pros play Stableford in their comps ? :D

Last edited: