Is a trolley worth it?

bristolgolfer

Visit site
Hey Guys & Gals,

New poster here so thought I'd make it a good one!

I'm a new golfer who's fallen in love with the game. I'm in my mid 20's and I've been slowly progressing to the point I can see myself becoming a member of a club soon. I probably get out once a week and it's a great time but I've recently gotten fairly worn out with even a game a week which in my mind isn't too much.

I'm considering a trolley to try and lighten the load on my legs which is mainly what gets tired quickly. Would anyone recommend a trolley to try and wear me out less? Whilst pushing a huge trolley up a hill is tiresome it can't be less exhausting than hauling around my bag for 18 holes.

Let me know your thoughts!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I like the efficiency of grabbing a light carry bag out the car and taking all the short cuts across the course. On hot days, when carrying lots of water, trolley comes into it's own. In bad weather it helps too.

I bought a power trolley in my late 30s and "never looked back!" Although, I still carry in the winter when they rope off the fronts of greens! Also depends on the topography of the courses you play

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play carrying a bag means you walk much shorter distances overall.

If you get one get a push trolley rather than a pull trolley they are much better for your back.

Buy electric if you can afford one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where I play carrying a bag means you walk much shorter distances overall.

If you get one get a push trolley rather than a pull trolley they are much better for your back.

Buy electric if you can afford one
100% this. If you buy a pull trolley you will be changing it in no time. Buy a 3 wheel push trolley or electric if your budget stretches to it.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been considering the same. I've always carried as I always try to make a round of golf as much of an exercise as possible, however I'm sure it doesn't help concentration and scoring when you're stood over a shot, still knackered from the hill you've just walked up with 20kg on your back.

My main issue is the boot space I'd need to get the clubs and trolley in. I doubt I'd fit a trolley and clubs in my current car and I'm not a member of a club so I can't leave them anywhere either.

sunshine

Visit site
I'm in my mid 20's

A young guy in his 20's has no need for a trolley, unless you are carrying an injury / medical condition. A lightweight stand bag with double shoulder straps has all the pockets you need and is very comfortable to carry.
Carrying is much quicker and more convenient because you can walk in straight lines, walk across greens, step over ditches instead of looking for bridges etc. A trolley is more faff but definitely more relaxing.
But just because you don't need it, doesn't mean you can't have one, it's a personal preference. My wife wants a Range Rover but she won't be doing any off road driving. If you become a serious golfer and start playing in 36 hole medals, a bigger bag and a trolley become more beneficial, especially in the rain.
Also, if you are getting worn out playing golf (which really isn't strenuous at all), it's a bit worrying at your age and probably a good idea for you to carry to improve your fitness.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A young guy in his 20's has no need for a trolley, unless you are carrying an injury / medical condition. A lightweight stand bag with double shoulder straps has all the pockets you need and is very comfortable to carry.
Carrying is much quicker and more convenient because you can walk in straight lines, walk across greens, step over ditches instead of looking for bridges etc. A trolley is more faff but definitely more relaxing.
But just because you don't need it, doesn't mean you can't have one, it's a personal preference. My wife wants a Range Rover but she won't be doing any off road driving. If you become a serious golfer and start playing in 36 hole medals, a bigger bag and a trolley become more beneficial, especially in the rain.
Also, if you are getting worn out playing golf (which really isn't strenuous at all), it's a bit worrying at your age and probably a good idea for you to carry to improve your fitness.
Most better players, young included, will use trolleys as it keeps their shoulders free from being tired in the final stretches. Carrying as a macho thing wont help your golf.

sunshine

Visit site
Most better players, young included, will use trolleys as it keeps their shoulders free from being tired in the final stretches. Carrying as a macho thing wont help your golf.

I think it's an age thing. The better players I know in their 20's seem to play almost every day and carry during the week but have a tour bag and trolley for competitions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it's an age thing. The better players I know in their 20's seem to play almost every day and carry during the week but have a tour bag and trolley for competitions.
So when it matters they use a trolley. If you have one for comps you may as well use it all of the time, that may be my age and back talking :LOL:

Highslice

Visit site
Im late 30s now and have always been in the carry your bag for exercise camp....until this summer when my back has started getting really antsy about it and is not happy at all.

Am definitely looking at a push trolley now, hadn’t really considered electric until I read this thread- is it that much better?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I play golf to get better at golf, not for exercise. I used to carry and found myself tiring after 14 holes. I have used an electric trolley for 10 years now and will always use it unless there's a ban, or lots of the course is roped off (in winter).
Size-wise, the Powakaddy CT6 is the smallest I've found and the wheels invert if you want, making it smaller still. I've got an A5 coupe and that trolley is the only one that I have found that can fit in the boot with my clubs and not having to take the woods out. It ain't cheap, but it's great.
Go with what you can afford, but if you do go electric, get a lithium battery. My 18 hole battery does 36 without any problem, even over two days without a charge inbetween, so a 36 hole battery unlikely to be necessary for most people, I'd say.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Im late 30s now and have always been in the carry your bag for exercise camp....until this summer when my back has started getting really antsy about it and is not happy at all.

Am definitely looking at a push trolley now, hadn’t really considered electric until I read this thread- is it that much better?
If your back is playing up, yes... unless lifting it out of the car will be an issue!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I carry for midweek rounds or 9 holes

18 hole comps the push trolley comes out! Dont want tired shoulders down the stretch!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I could still carry, I would as it’s what I’ve always known. Revelation was dual strap bags.

But after injuries and accidents I need to use the trolley. I have to admit that compared to carrying around my course it does help and takes strain off back and knees.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the forum. It depends on you entirely, I for one carry as I don't currently have an electric trolley (IMO it's the only way to go, at my place pushing is weary!)

jamiet7682

Visit site
Im 39 and I carry for the exercise, the odd time i reach my ball and need to take a moment to get my breath back but mostly fine. Played 5 days in a row last week carrying all the time and was a bit achey but thats to be expected.. Its pretty much the only exercise i get so no rush to get a trolley.