irons upgrade

kingello

Visit site
Hi everyone, (new member).
Can anyone recommend irons to replace my Ping i5 irons?
i love them but old and thinking on newer tech and help with game.
i have got so used to knowing their gapping and know lofts are different these days but thats modern clubs!
i love their size.
i have looked at Callaway pre owned but not sure on what to choose.
i am a 20ish handicap and at ripe age of 60, driver swing speed around 85.
Thanks in anticipation.
Gary.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone, (new member).
Can anyone recommend irons to replace my Ping i5 irons?
i love them but old and thinking on newer tech and help with game.
i have got so used to knowing their gapping and know lofts are different these days but thats modern clubs!
i love their size.
i have looked at Callaway pre owned but not sure on what to choose.
i am a 20ish handicap and at ripe age of 60, driver swing speed around 85.
Thanks in anticipation.
Gary.
Upgrade to a new set of Pings if you like them.
The looks havnt changed that much but the tech now is streets ahead of I5s.
Get yourself fitted
But try as many as you can over winter there’s no real rush now the season is nearly over.

I’m 66 and am changing to graphite shafts soon they help your joints as you get older.
It’s a bit of a minefield so get some advice off a pro or fitter who can see your swing.!
Good luck.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Might be worth considering reshafting and getting the grooves redone. See a decent fitter/builder and ask questions.

Mandofred

Visit site
I keep preaching this......if you have the brain that can get into it, go hybrid. I no longer carry an "iron" in my bag. Driver, 5 w, 9 w, 11 w, 6+7 hybrid, 8-9-pw hybrid irons from Eleven(brand), then 4 regular wedges 50-54-58-64. Those "Eleven" hybrid irons get me a few more yards and more height....fairly cheap as well. Check YouTube for reviews on these clubs. I'm 67, probably 85-ish mph on driver swing like you and am sitting at 6.4 at the moment.

kingello

Visit site
tha
Upgrade to a new set of Pings if you like them.
The looks havnt changed that much but the tech now is streets ahead of I5s.
Get yourself fitted
But try as many as you can over winter there’s no real rush now the season is nearly over.

I’m 66 and am changing to graphite shafts soon they help your joints as you get older.
It’s a bit of a minefield so get some advice off a pro or fitter who can see your swing.!
Good luck.
nk you

kingello

Visit site
Thanks for that
I keep preaching this......if you have the brain that can get into it, go hybrid. I no longer carry an "iron" in my bag. Driver, 5 w, 9 w, 11 w, 6+7 hybrid, 8-9-pw hybrid irons from Eleven(brand), then 4 regular wedges 50-54-58-64. Those "Eleven" hybrid irons get me a few more yards and more height....fairly cheap as well. Check YouTube for reviews on these clubs. I'm 67, probably 85-ish mph on driver swing like you and am sitting at 6.4 at the moment.
Thanks for this

kingello

Visit site
What 11 wood do you carry?

Mandofred

Visit site
What 11 wood do you carry?
Callaway....got it about 2 years ago from the Callaway used EU? site. It's my 150y in the air club with not much roll since it has a fairly steep decent. No special reason for it being a Callaway....as far as I care any decent brand would work....but 11 woods aren't very easy to find the last time I looked.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If you like the i5, the i210 will be a revelation. I say those as they are not the very latest model and hence price has come down.

Also some of the G range might give some extra help.

But get a proper fitting as the choice of shaft might be more significant than the choice of head!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might be worth considering reshafting and getting the grooves redone. See a decent fitter/builder and ask questions.
from memory (it was along time ago) I5 are cast clubs so the should not have worn out.
I do not know what the groove rules are specific to those clubs but they may now be non conforming at the end of this year (or was it January this year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing you have to careful about is that lofts v club number will have changed significantly.

Modern lighter weight shafts are quite a revelation and may be a choice rather than graphite.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ping i5 came out in 2005.
Ping i10 came out in 2007 and there was no change to loft/number. I've been playing these since 2008.

Jump forward 10 years to the 2017 launch of Ping i200 and lofts had become merely one degree stronger through the numbers.
You would have little trouble adjusting to these. I could quite fancy updating (I would not consider it upgrading) to these.
Remember 2017 is the year of launch. If you find a set, it could be only 5 or 6 years old.

After another merely 7 years, the 2024 G730 are roughly 6 degrees stronger loft than the i5 and i10 irons through the numbers.
The 5-iron is comparable to the older 3-iron and the 9-iron is comparable to the older 7-iron as their nearest equivalents.

This is why I like to point out that the lofts have not changed - the numbers on the soles have changed - shifted by about 2.

64 yrs and HI 4.7

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

This is the route I should have gone down, I have always been a very poor iron player and decided to get new irons hoping that would help.
I purchased Calloway paraydm A1 smoke irons but to be honest they haven’t helped in fact my h/c has gone up 2 shots.

If I could sell the Calloways without to much of a loss ( they cost over £800) I would buy a set of Elevens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest looking at the second hand sites as well. Usually some good sets on there and at competitive prices. I also agree about hybrids and so glad I swapped the 4 and 5 iron for the hybrid equivalent

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Groove Rule
Found it
The I5 does not meet the 2010 requirements

Here https://ping.com/en-us/legal/groove-rule
I haven't got this straight, I'm sure. Perhaps you could enlighten me further.
Is it the case that,

Clubs made before 2010 that do not conform to the 2010 groove specifications can continue to be used in non-elite amateur club events unless the committee introduces a local rule to not allow them to be used.
And a change to this approach, should it happen, will be given a 4-year lead in. A "new" R&A decision could occur in 2024.

So I can continue to use my non-compliant 2010 groove-rule Ping i10 irons and Eye2 irons in club competitions unless my club introduces a local rule to stop anyone from using non-compliant 2010 groove-rule irons that were manufactured before 2010.

Any post-2010 made non-compliant 2010 groove rule irons are per-se illegal clubs for all.

That is what I have gleaned, but I may be very wide of the mark.

Last edited: