Irons for someone who struggles to get it up (oooer!)

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for irons to try, ideally which help address my low ball flight

I am 19 h'cap, have a tendency to de-loft at impact (which I am seeing a pro to mitigate) but have ALWAYS struggled with getting ball in the air with irons

Considering new bats so looking for recommendations of best irons to try (currently play Ping i series)

Cheers

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Before buying new irons I'd suggest a session on a simulator to check your contact point etc. A common issue with a low flight is failing to accelerate through impact and a lack of follow through.

You might want to try shortening your backswing and over emphasise the follow through and see what happens.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for irons to try, ideally which help address my low ball flight

I am 19 h'cap, have a tendency to de-loft at impact (which I am seeing a pro to mitigate) but have ALWAYS struggled with getting ball in the air with irons

Considering new bats so looking for recommendations of best irons to try (currently play Ping i series)

Cheers
I had exactly the same problem.
Went for AP3s project X 5.5 LZ.
Ping do flight the ball high.
A fitting is important to find the right combination of head and shaft.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I think you are doing the right ting is seeking to sort of the issue with a pro before buying new irons.

It may be down to simple things like ball too far back in the stence hence the appearance of deloft, too much shaft lean etc etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I think you are doing the right ting is seeking to sort of the issue with a pro before buying new irons.

It may be down to simple things like ball too far back in the stence hence the appearance of deloft, too much shaft lean etc etc
I found Ping had to much offset for me and was closing the face down a bit.
With a low ball flight this was making me pull my irons.
My pro sorted it , I had to much shaft lean at impact and my dynamic loft was to strong as a result.

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Before buying new irons I'd suggest a session on a simulator to check your contact point etc. A common issue with a low flight is failing to accelerate through impact and a lack of follow through.

You might want to try shortening your backswing and over emphasise the follow through and see what happens.

Had a good lesson which transformed ball flight (much higher) ...so will work on that at range in coming days (maybe blow it on a new driver)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Glad the lesson has assisted. Always best to find the route cause and addressing that than trying to buy a fix.

I hit a high ball, it’s not really detrimetal to my game but even when trying irons with a much higher CG which should promote a lower ball flight I see almost zero difference in apex height as I’m adding so much dynamic loft at impact.

When I switched from AP2’s to MB’s I knew not to expect much in way of trajectory and it’s fortunate I didn’t. I hit them just as high when comparing on a loft by loft basis.

I’m working on being my trajectory down slowly so that I don’t destroy my swing and ruin my game too much. I don’t mind the high ball though, holding a green with a 3 iron often helps and into wind I keep it down if I desire.

If I swing hard with a driver though and don’t keep myself in check I add so much loft that i’m Getting just shy of 200ft apex height. It starts quite a few conversations on the range and course

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad the lesson has assisted. Always best to find the route cause and addressing that than trying to buy a fix.

I hit a high ball, it’s not really detrimetal to my game but even when trying irons with a much higher CG which should promote a lower ball flight I see almost zero difference in apex height as I’m adding so much dynamic loft at impact.

When I switched from AP2’s to MB’s I knew not to expect much in way of trajectory and it’s fortunate I didn’t. I hit them just as high when comparing on a loft by loft basis.

I’m working on being my trajectory down slowly so that I don’t destroy my swing and ruin my game too much. I don’t mind the high ball though, holding a green with a 3 iron often helps and into wind I keep it down if I desire.

If I swing hard with a driver though and don’t keep myself in check I add so much loft that i’m Getting just shy of 200ft apex height. It starts quite a few conversations on the range and course
I can’t hit a wedge 200ft.

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site

In lesson my regular pro noticed my set up was wrong and getting too much on left side during swing so few changes and swing thought made massive difference

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In lesson my regular pro noticed my set up was wrong and getting too much on left side during swing so few changes and swing thought made massive difference
Glad the pro has seen something and the changes are starting to work. Keep working hard at the range and see where it takes you. Maybe hold fire on the change of bats

GolfingPastor

Visit site

Cheers

I have used Callaway X22’s for the last few years and they give a high flight and are very easy to play with. I went with them because I wasn’t able to play golf very often so when I went out after months of not playing I could still play reasonably well and enjoy the game.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Callaway...899443?hash=item2f2cca02f3:g:OFQAAOSwd9dcfVIj