Irons advice needed...

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

Would appreciate some thoughts. I've picked up the clubs again after a good few years away (more than a few) as now able to dedicate a bit more time to playing as kids getting a bit older.

Currently using my old CG7 tour irons and, although i hit them relatively well, finding that anything that isn't straight out the sweet spot takes quite a big hit in distance.

Was thinking of treating myself to something that will offer a bit more forgiveness but don't want to end up playing with a massive game improvement iron.

Any suggestions of what might be a good move without breaking the bank? Would be looking to spend around £500 max.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the summer that’s left I would agree play the ones you have.
Come spring and hopefully a bit of practice you will be back in the swing of it.
Try to borrow irons of the pro or pps to try over winter.
Spring have a fitting to get your specs.
Then eBay or similar to find last years model for half the price.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Would appreciate some thoughts. I've picked up the clubs again after a good few years away (more than a few) as now able to dedicate a bit more time to playing as kids getting a bit older.

Currently using my old CG7 tour irons and, although i hit them relatively well, finding that anything that isn't straight out the sweet spot takes quite a big hit in distance.

Was thinking of treating myself to something that will offer a bit more forgiveness but don't want to end up playing with a massive game improvement iron.

Any suggestions of what might be a good move without breaking the bank? Would be looking to spend around £500 max.

I genuinely don't think you would notice a huge difference apart from being £500 lighter for it.

The Clevelands are chunky as it is, so should provide reasonable help and ultimately golf irons haven't changed much since then, despite what manufacturers will tell you.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hi All,

If you are hitting them relatively well, then you are doing fine, having just come back to the game.
A thought about "forgiveness" of clubs. Other may disagree, but I think it is over rated.
Imagine you have an approach to a green 150 yds away, with water in front , or a big bunker to avoid.
The club you are going to hit to land on the green is say a 7.
If you hit it right with your present club it will leave a birdie putt.
If you hit it right with a forgiving club it will leave you a birdie putt.
If you hit it wrong with your club, you could go in one of many places but the green.
If you hit it wrong with your forgiving club, it will go further than your club, but not far enough . It will still put you in trouble ( water or bunker most likely)
In other words, just in different trouble!!

Just as well play with clubs you like, really?
They always need a good hit, whichever they are.?

Mind you, I wouldn't put anyone off buying new irons. I have the itch myself, one if the pleasures of life.?

When I do, they will be ones I like the feel of, that I like the look of, that can swing comfortably. If they happen to be blades, so be it.
I won't buy them because they are "the most forgiving"

Whatever you do, best of luck and enjoy the game.

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers, guys.

Will persevere for now and maybe revisit next Spring.

Need to think of something else to buy now instead ? Might have a look at some wedges...

Johndfc14

Visit site
After 15 years or so have just returned to the game now that my weekends are not taken up with my 2 sons youth football .. I have ping eye2 irons and a grey Wilson fat shaft driver ( thought the size head was massive when they came out ! Lol) and Wilson deep red 3 and 5 woods with a ping ablade putter . I got down to 9.5 with these clubs and I doubt modern clubs would make me get any lower . Basically saying old clubs were good back then and still are now . I won’t be changing my clubs and if I don’t get back down to 10 then it’s me and not the clubs .

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly don’t underestimate the importance of a good ironing board cover, it can make a huge different no matter what iron you choose. I prefer irons with a separate steam unit but others feel these are not agile enough.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
£500 budget?

I'd spend £100 on a few lessons with a good local pro, see how you're doing come March/April. If you decide you fancy some new irons then, go for it. £400 is still a decent budget for a set, and you'd probably end up with the same irons you'd buy now for £500!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say stick with the irons you have, I am in a similar boat as I have MP-57s, a very similar sort of iron.

I too lose distance when hit off the toe but a lot of work has gone into my swing and about £100 in lessons and I am finding the middle more. A toe hit now loses about 10% distance but doesn't go too far off line. A bad toe hit on any club will lose distance, with more GI type clubs you will probably go greenside bunker rather than fairway just short.

Stick with your clubs, they are good clubs and look great, use their feedback to help you improve and get lessons. £400 buys a lot of practice balls at the range, surely in that time you will improve way beyond what £400 of new clubs alone could do.