Iron recommendations pls

Bassfisher

Visit site
Hi all, I returned to the game a couple of months ago, this time I’m really determined to build my game. I’ve only ever had a 24 handicap at best as I occasionally hacked my way around the odd course. So now I’m on a program of lessons and practice. When I started a couple of months ago I bought a set of Taylor made irons for £100, they’re at least 20 yrs old .
M’y question is ; should I continue with these clubs or would I benefit from spending a bit more on a set? I’ve read on the forum that Ping G15’s are highly rated, I’m considering them as an option?

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Hi all, I returned to the game a couple of months ago, this time I’m really determined to build my game. I’ve only ever had a 24 handicap at best as I occasionally hacked my way around the odd course. So now I’m on a program of lessons and practice. When I started a couple of months ago I bought a set of Taylor made irons for £100, they’re at least 20 yrs old .
M’y question is ; should I continue with these clubs or would I benefit from spending a bit more on a set? I’ve read on the forum that Ping G15’s are highly rated, I’m considering them as an option?

Im a high handicapper whos struggled with irons on long fairway shots.
Ping g15s have helped me a huge amount, in the last twelve months ive had brand new callaway and cobra irons, sold them and bought the old ping g15s after a the great things i read / heard about them.
For me they feel great, cleaner and easier strikes, dont get me wrong i still hit the odd bad shot that no club can help. But if your looking for something to give a bit more confidence i recommend highly, and if you want to sell them later they will always bring decent money.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ping G15s are also from about 20+ years ago.

You do not say which TMs you bought. They made plenty of sets many of which are absolutely fine for a beginner/returner.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point , I have TMade DCI 981 clubs.

They are Titleist not TaylorMade

Depending on how strong you are one of the major points of irons within the past ten years are that shafts have got much lighter and overall are easier to swing.

Those DCI 981s will probably have True Temper Dynamic Gold Shafts in which is one of the heaviest shafts going although a shaft well suited to quite a lot of players.

They are considered a very good club (in their day) but they would be over 20 years old now. Realisticly though aimed at the mid handicapper rather than a beginner. As you are a returner it would depend on where you see yourself now and in the near future.

Bassfisher

Visit site
Ok so now I feel a bit silly, I’ve just checked and yes my clubs are Titleist, thé shafts have a gold and black label with ‘TRI-SPEC’ regular.
At the range this afternoon I actually really started to do well with them, so I guess I should use them for a while at least . Many thanks for your input guys it’s really educational !

Bassfisher

Visit site
Having looked at some of those links , it does get a bit technical but yes I have found that I do hit the ball pretty high with them, but on the whole they certainly were highly rated clubs. As I don’t know any different I think it’ll be worth trying a more modern club to feel for myself.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Do you have access to a club fitter? Many think getting fitted only helps experienced players, but I disagree. I also think a proper fitting for irons is the second only to the driver in importance. I was fitted for my irons five years ago and still love them. I'll be 71 in January and it's probably time to switch to graphite shafts. When I do, I will work with a fitter. Anyway, it sounds like your current set is working fine, but if you decide to upgrade I suggest you look at getting fitted if you can. Many places will waive the fee if you buy the clubs.