iron distance Vs woods and driver

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
no, as ive said a few times, only the driver is a fade, everything else is a draw, 3 wood and hybrid
Okay, when you hold off for the lag are you keeping the face open of the iron until the last moment ?
Next question have you looked at your driver ball position .. if you move the ball further forward do you tend to cut the ball more ? What happens if you move the ball back ? I think fractions of inches will show something. I am also assuming that your feet are straight and you have not adopted a draw or fade stance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Okay, when you hold off for the lag are you keeping the face open of the iron until the last moment ?
Next question have you looked at your driver ball position .. if you move the ball further forward do you tend to cut the ball more ? What happens if you move the ball back ? I think fractions of inches will show something. I am also assuming that your feet are straight and you have not adopted a draw or fade stance.

not sure if you are getting confused, both the guys who commented both have at least 10 MPH CHS more than meand i would expect them to hit everything further than me, no question the point is i'm the same distance as them with my irons and on occasion further and i'm using blades where both us CB and i only have a very short backswing... its confusing them more than anything

User20204

Visit site
CHS doesn't always mean greater distance, granted is usually does but smash factor can be a case as well. We probably all swing our drivers at around the same speed each time but how often have we seen big differences in distances from one drive to the next.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
CHS doesn't always mean greater distance, granted is usually does but smash factor can be a case as well. We probably all swing our drivers at around the same speed each time but how often have we seen big differences in distances from one drive to the next.
of course but you would expect someone with a higher CHS to hit it further with all clubs?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chs has to be significantly higher to see large gains.
From what you have described I would suggest your not optimised on your driver compared to your irons.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The other question is which is your favourite iron?
Does the level of draw reduce as you get to the longer clubs?
there also is the possibility that you PP don’t connect as well as you or they generate more spin giving them higher flights.
The driver will always exaggerate your issues. Hence if I wanted the same shot through the bag, which is what I do like, I would seek to address the one that is different.

D

Deleted member 3432

Back to my light hearted point yesterday. You may actually be flushing your irons, perhaps with a significant shaft lean. This would mean a very efficiant strike, optimum spin and high ball speed.

I had a lesson in the summer which was eye opening. I had same CHS as my pro with 4 iron (both hitting my club) but his went 15 yards further. He had shaft lean, lower spin, higher smash factor and way more ball speed.

Club head speed means nothing in itself, ball speed leads to distance.

You probably are just swinging your irons more efficently than your driver.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Back to my light hearted point yesterday. You may actually be flushing your irons, perhaps with a significant shaft lean. This would mean a very efficiant strike, optimum spin and high ball speed.

I had a lesson in the summer which was eye opening. I had same CHS as my pro with 4 iron (both hitting my club) but his went 15 yards further. He had shaft lean, lower spin, higher smash factor and way more ball speed.

Club head speed means nothing in itself, ball speed leads to distance.

You probably are just swinging your irons more efficently than your driver.
and i'm less than shite than them with irons:LOL:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not sure if you are getting confused, both the guys who commented both have at least 10 MPH CHS more than meand i would expect them to hit everything further than me, no question the point is i'm the same distance as them with my irons and on occasion further and i'm using blades where both us CB and i only have a very short backswing... its confusing them more than anything
Not necessarily, if your ball spin is higher it will limit distance. You need to ensure you are hitting up on the ball with your driver so you can get height with lower spin rate, this will give good carry. Its possible to hit further than someone with a faster swing speed if your angle of attack is better.