iron distance Vs woods and driver

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my 3 reg playing partners all hit their woods further than me, which makes sense and my clubhead speed is below theirs, but i hit my irons further most of the time and they all us CB where i have blades. was commented on by them yesterday several times. makes no difference as how and what they hit don't really make any difference to my game or club selection..

got me wondering though why this was??

D

Deleted member 3432

my 3 reg playing partners all hit their woods further than me, which makes sense and my clubhead speed is below theirs, but i hit my irons further most of the time and they all us CB where i have blades. was commented on by them yesterday several times. makes no difference as how and what they hit don't really make any difference to my game or club selection..

got me wondering though why this was??

Knifed iron shots tend to run a long way on a links track :ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Knifed iron shots tend to run a long way on a links track :ROFLMAO:
true, but not at ours at the moment zero run, in the effort to repair the damage to the grass from last year, ours are really lush at the moment not to mention all the rains we've had.

also still got a broken finger and if you catch it even slightly thin you really know it:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 3432

true, but not at ours at the moment zero run, in the effort to repair the damage to the grass from last year, ours are really lush at the moment not to mention all the rains we've had.

also still got a broken finger and if you catch it even slightly thin you really know it:ROFLMAO:

Sore finger must be causing you to flush it to avoid pain.

Beware the injured golfer (y)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert, but could it be down to lofts, or the flight that you get on the ball. Perhaps your PPs get too much height on the ball, whereas a lower more penetrating flight would be more effective particularly as you play be the coast.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm no expert, but could it be down to lofts, or the flight that you get on the ball. Perhaps your PPs get too much height on the ball, whereas a lower more penetrating flight would be more effective particularly as you play be the coast.
don't think its that as we all have pretty much the same set ups, driver 9, 3 wood, 2 hybrid and 3 hybrid

Wolf

Visit site
Without knowing all the ins and outs of your swings. My assumption would be impact conditions & AoA being the factors that affect both you hitting the irons longer than them and also them hitting driver longer than you. Effectively getting to much spin on the driver with a slightly step AoA but effectively delfoting irons at impact reducing spin a touch to give more distance. Which is basically what I do as well, my issue is when I try to shallow out more with the driver to be more of a sweeping motion I end up with a 2 way miss, it goes longer indeed but way more inaccurate. Something I have to work on I guess.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Without knowing all the ins and outs of your swings. My assumption would be impact conditions & AoA being the factors that affect both you hitting the irons longer than them and also them hitting driver longer than you. Effectively getting to much spin on the driver with a slightly step AoA but effectively delfoting irons at impact reducing spin a touch to give more distance. Which is basically what I do as well, my issue is when I try to shallow out more with the driver to be more of a sweeping motion I end up with a 2 way miss, it goes longer indeed but way more inaccurate. Something I have to work on I guess.
not delofting the irons, got a muck lighter driver shaft than both, but i would say i get more height off the driver as i'm hitting a cut where they hit draws, but with every other club i hit a draw too.

they both have more CHS than i so would expect them to hit it further than me with everthing:unsure:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You hit a cut and they hit draws, have you seen a difference in physical carry?
Also is the cut, your bread and butter shot ? Is it ball position or just your swing path or face angle?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me to.
That’s my game in a nutshell.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
who knows, i doubt it though
My swing with driver was 101mph.
My mates was 98mph on track man.
He is 20yds longer than me because his aoa is 3 up ,mine is 4down.
It has a big effect on driver but not as much on the irons as you need to hit down on them.

I have tried to change my aoa but failed and was all over the place so reverted to my old swing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You hit a cut and they hit draws, have you seen a difference in physical carry?
Also is the cut, your bread and butter shot ? Is it ball position or just your swing path or face angle?

Only hit a cut with the driver everything else is a draw, aim left and swing outside the lineand try my best to lag though the ball.

yes significant further carry, take our 14th, 215 to the pin on sat into a bit of a breeze, i hit my 2 hybrid, which looked all over the flag, cam up just short of the green front edge, they both took 3 hybrid and landed middle of the green some 10 yards further. I'm not supprised they hit the ball much further, they are both confused as to the irons and so am i TBH

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only hit a cut with the driver everything else is a draw, aim left and swing outside the lineand try my best to lag though the ball.

yes significant further carry, take our 14th, 215 to the pin on sat into a bit of a breeze, i hit my 2 hybrid, which looked all over the flag, cam up just short of the green front edge, they both took 3 hybrid and landed middle of the green some 10 yards further. I'm not supprised they hit the ball much further, they are both confused as to the irons and so am i TBH
I assume then you see a higher flight with the driver.
Did you play the same shot with the 2 hybrid?