Iron Covers

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got given a set for Xmas a few years back and they lasted about 2 rnds before I got sick of them
wife got me some nice mizuno blue ones from Japan when i got my MP4's, lasted one round, couldn't be arsed buggering around with them myself.

good that some still use them though... like the guy that had the set of Mp57 i bought SH... they are like new ;)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
wife got me some nice mizuno blue ones from Japan when i got my MP4's, lasted one round, couldn't be arsed buggering around with them myself.

good that some still use them though... like the guy that had the set of Mp57 i bought SH... they are like new ;)

I was forced as a child to put the iron covers on my golf clubs. I'd get to the golf club and whip off all the iron covers and hide them in my bag before anyone saw me.

I'd then have to put them all back on before my dad picked me up.

He still to this day uses iron covers on his 1996 callaway big bertha irons and to be completely fair to him they are still like new. Partly through lack of use and otherwise through protecting them.

Whenever we have a knock it infuriates him as i'll make my clubs chatter as much as possible.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a set of Pro-Tekt iron covers <£20 from Amazon UK.

I paid about £1k for the set of irons another £20 to keep them protected seems a good thing to me. After all we whinge about the damage caused by stones in bunkers !!

No need to slow down play. Remove cover and put in pocket while walking forward and taking stance, play your shot, and replace cover when walking to bag. If you drop it there's a magnetic tag so you don't even need to bend down and pick it up !!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't really know many proper players who use iron headcovers, most pointless things ever, irons are supposed to chap and little chap marks on forged irons is what you expect. If your irons are cast, they are literally even more pointless, whenever I see people with iron headcovers I just think all the gear n no idea.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't really know many proper players who use iron headcovers, most pointless things ever, irons are supposed to chap and little chap marks on forged irons is what you expect. If your irons are cast, they are literally even more pointless, whenever I see people with iron headcovers I just think all the gear n no idea.

Assume by proper players you mean tour professionals. If so then they won't worry about damage to their clubs as they just pick up a new one from the tour van. For us mere mortals who pay for clubs in hard earned cash I can see some sense it taking precautions to keep them in decent condition, if only to retain a better trade in value for a few years.
Not for everyone I know, just like the guys on here who admit to never cleaning their clubs, shoes or trolley. I think your labelling and stereotyping is ridiculous though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had some on a previous set. I didn't find it caused any delay to play and it definitely made a difference to the clubs when it came to re-selling. The biggest hassle I had was every time I played in the wet I'd have to take them off every club at home to let the covers and the irons dry naturally and it all became a pain putting them on and off at home

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Assume by proper players you mean tour professionals. If so then they won't worry about damage to their clubs as they just pick up a new one from the tour van. For us mere mortals who pay for clubs in hard earned cash I can see some sense it taking precautions to keep them in decent condition, if only to retain a better trade in value for a few years.
Not for everyone I know, just like the guys on here who admit to never cleaning their clubs, shoes or trolley. I think your labelling and stereotyping is ridiculous though.
I agree with him. They’re awful and have no place in golf🤮. Especially the neoprene ones made up to look like official club manufacturer merch 🤣. You slam the club into the ground at 80+ mph and you’re worried about bag chatter.
I’ve got a lovely chunk out of my 7 iron from a stone in a bunker, should have kept its little hat on 🤣

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know a plus 2 capper who uses them

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always enjoy the “Im way too cool for iron headcovers” posts😂Not for me personally,but each to their own.
Yep far too cool👍👍👍 don’t pretend you wouldn’t be slagging them off if someone hadn’t got there first 🤣

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I know a plus 2 capper who uses them
That's why I said many, most good players use forged irons and arnt really bothered by a little bag chatter. I wouldn't want a set of irons without a mark on them, I buy brand new raw wedges so they rust, if I could buy raw irons I would. They are tools to be used abused then renewed

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a set of Pro-Tekt iron covers <£20 from Amazon UK.

I paid about £1k for the set of irons another £20 to keep them protected seems a good thing to me. After all we whinge about the damage caused by stones in bunkers !!

No need to slow down play. Remove cover and put in pocket while walking forward and taking stance, play your shot, and replace cover when walking to bag. If you drop it there's a magnetic tag so you don't even need to bend down and pick it up !!!

Protekt are the best head covers by miles.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have some nice forged irons coming in the post atm. The guy says he's had them in headcovers as they look great.

For that I am thankful. Can't say I will do the same but they will look great for a while at least.

I simply can't be bothered with them. Too lazy.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Years ago I had a set of Lynx oversize with graphite shafts and they had the longer shaft protecting cover. When I traded them in after a couple of years the guy couldn't believe how new they looked. He advertised them for sale "as new".
I don't use them now but there's a lot of snobbery about her covers and I don't even think about it people use them or not. I certainly wouldn't think less of anyone if they did. That's just ridiculous.
As I said earlier, given the type of clubs the OP is using I can understand why he wants covers.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Years ago I had a set of Lynx oversize with graphite shafts and they had the longer shaft protecting cover. When I traded them in after a couple of years the guy couldn't believe how new they looked. He advertised them for sale "as new".
I don't use them now but there's a lot of snobbery about her covers and I don't even think about it people use them or not. I certainly wouldn't think less of anyone if they did. That's just ridiculous.
As I said earlier, given the type of clubs the OP is using I can understand why he wants covers.
A skilled 'tradesman' always takes pride in and care of his tools

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I had some on a previous set. I didn't find it caused any delay to play and it definitely made a difference to the clubs when it came to re-selling. The biggest hassle I had was every time I played in the wet I'd have to take them off every club at home to let the covers and the irons dry naturally and it all became a pain putting them on and off at home

Honestly! Putting 7 or 8 covers on (15-20 second job) when they dried after a rain game became a pain, jeez. You need to change your work or lifestyle, something has got you teetering on the edge. How on earth do you manage to open a sleeve of balls and put them in the pocket of your golf bag, I fear for you re-stocking tee's and please for goodness sake don't try to unwrap a new glove unsupervised ;)

My advice... go see a pro and get a lesson on how to put on a head-cover so that its not a pain:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Coincidentally I just read that you routinely change your irons every 2-3 years because they're basically worn out and if i recall don't you also play and practice to an obscene level that the rest of us can only be jealous of. Yup I'd say you don't have much use for iron headcovers

With a new set of irons almost 2 years ago and barring damage/breakages I'm hoping I might never have to buy another set (or at the very least for a good few years) in the interim I'll use them once a week and some practice time & I'd much rather be able to that with clubs in relatively good condition rather than some worn out scabby bits of metal that I know I'll need to change in a few months

So you could think 'all the gear no idea' (as if headcovers are somehow the height of 'gear' :ROFLMAO:) or you could think 'must be someone who wants to protect and extend the life expectancy of their gear'
(but we all know you'll stick with the former!)